• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 11:21 am
[OP]
Oct 9, 2006
208 posts
99 upvotes
BC

[Newegg] NAS - Synology DS218+ for $349.99

Looks like a good price on a solid 2 bay (diskless) NAS, I don't think I've seen it below $400. Note there is a difference between the DS218, the DS218 play and the DS218+ (this unit) I've run a PLEX server on this for the last 6 months and it is a solid unit consistently streaming 4k media locally.

Yes - there are many "cheaper" options out there for a NAS if you want to build your own. As many have stated before, the ease of use and low power consumption of these units is hard to beat. I highly recommend this unit for those that don't want to invest the time in building/maintaining their own unit.

Here is a breakdown on the difference between the Synology DS218 models:
https://nascompares.com/synology-ds218- ... ds218play/
Last edited by bluetangerine on Jul 16th, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Apr 23, 2009
261 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
I have been eyeing this NAS, thanks OP but you have a typo in the title it should say "218+"
Have you compare it to Nvidia Shield for streaming 4k?
Have you tested on a mobile device over wifi or LTE?

Thanks,
Leo
Jun 9, 2018
96 posts
121 upvotes
You have DS210+ in the title not DS218+. I have this unit and it's been good to me so far.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2006
208 posts
99 upvotes
BC
Leo168 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2019 5:20 pm
I have been eyeing this NAS, thanks OP but you have a typo in the title it should say "218+"
Have you compare it to Nvidia Shield for streaming 4k?
Have you tested on a mobile device over wifi or LTE?

Thanks,
Leo
I have not used an Nvidia Shield as a PLEX server. A quick google search suggests the following: https://support.plex.tv/articles/221099 ... ia-shield/

I have streamed to mobile device over both wifi and LTE without issue. HOWEVER, do not expect your 4k files to transcode to a suitable stream if you want to watch them over mobile. If you want more information on this go here:
https://www.windowscentral.com/synology ... k-playback

This unit is good for streaming a couple of 4K streams natively (no transcoding). It is fine at transcoding 1080p.
Jul 14, 2019
63 posts
74 upvotes
Newegg.ca still has the 10TB WD RED NAS drives on for $299 if you want to make a beast of a NAS out of this.

An Nvidia Shield is vastly superior to any NAS though if you are a content consumer, and especially if you have a home theater and are worried about audio formats and proper passthrough. A NAS is more suited for centralized backup rather than a media powerhouse.
May 23, 2009
160 posts
36 upvotes
Laval
Crappy Newegg.ca

I tried order a WD 10 TB
and they chargesextra fees:

Save: 44.45%

Subtotal: $299.99
Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $17.79
PST: $0.00
Shipping – Duty & Brokerage Included: $55.71

It is the first time they do that with my orders...

For sure, if it is their new procedure,I'll never order from this company...
Oct 19, 2007
629 posts
314 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote:
Jul 16th, 2019 6:25 pm
Newegg.ca still has the 10TB WD RED NAS drives on for $299 if you want to make a beast of a NAS out of this.

An Nvidia Shield is vastly superior to any NAS though if you are a content consumer, and especially if you have a home theater and are worried about audio formats and proper passthrough. A NAS is more suited for centralized backup rather than a media powerhouse.
Can the Shield run sonarr,radarr, etc?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9131 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
icare2 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2019 10:37 pm
Crappy Newegg.ca

I tried order a WD 10 TB
and they chargesextra fees:

Wth. Duties and brookgae? It's the canadian site not American.
Save: 44.45%

Subtotal: $299.99
Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $17.79
PST: $0.00
Shipping – Duty & Brokerage Included: $55.71

It is the first time they do that with my orders...

For sure, if it is their new procedure,I'll never order from this company...
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Aug 8, 2010
172 posts
89 upvotes
Quebec
Interesting, they run this NAS on the BTRFS file system. This mean you should be protected from silent corruption as the system automatically does checksum and integrity validation. It’s also the only one from the 218 line that has an Intel processor, which mean it can run APPS (docker, Apache, MariaDB etc).

I’m tempted.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1145 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I bought this exact unit from Newegg May 27th for $369.99+tax which was a sale price so this is pretty good.

Keep in mind it's only 2 bay so if you're a hoarder better off with a 4+ bay unit.

Handles my usenet and torrent works great (in docker paired with sonarr and radar). Max speed i'm about to get out of the unit is 75mb/s (to an SDD for download/unzipping). It's really slow unzipping/repairing the big movies/tvs but chugs along and gets the job done. It's silent and stable.

I also added an extra stick of ram which helped A LOT with my usenet speeds and with running everything in docker. You can google it but i just added a Crucial 4GB stick because i didn't want to take the whole unit apart to add more. So 6GB is total running amazing (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01775 ... UTF8&psc=1)
Mar 16, 2015
27 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does anyone know if there are any Newegg promo codes that can be used with this deal?