Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] NETGEAR R8500 Nighthawk X8 Wireless AC5300 - $250 after taxes and shipping

[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
292 posts
231 upvotes

[Newegg] NETGEAR R8500 Nighthawk X8 Wireless AC5300 - $250 after taxes and shipping

Found this deal for R8500. This is apparently the best router to get if you want opensource firmware. It is $250 shipped after coupon applied. Pretty good deal if you are looking for an high-end router that doesn't overheat.
82 replies
Jan 10, 2007
178 posts
93 upvotes
Price is good for high end router, but all the negative reviews make me skeptical. I currently have a R7000. I want a faster router, but the reliability has to be the same or better.
Dec 14, 2016
25 posts
16 upvotes
Might be frown upon but guys seriously screw these routers... just get a ubiquiti router + access point and call it a day. Best deicison ever.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32208 posts
18054 upvotes
Ottawa
flex_186 wrote: Price is good for high end router, but all the negative reviews make me skeptical. I currently have a R7000. I want a faster router, but the reliability has to be the same or better.
I also have the R7000 and curious as to why it's not fast enough for your current needs?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2860 posts
2448 upvotes
Oakville
xenilk wrote: Might be frown upon but guys seriously screw these routers... just get a ubiquiti router + access point and call it a day. Best deicison ever.
I currently own:
1) R7000
2) TWO Ubiquiti Access points (UAC-PRo, and a UAC LR) hooked up to a Ubiquiti EdgeX Router

I can confirm that the R7000 has a range equal to the Ubiquiti access points when compared to either one of them. I can also confirm the R7000 has the same performance and equal packet losses for high traffic high demand transfers.

I can confirm that TWO access points vs One R7000 are better than the R7000 when they are "meshed" together using the Ubiquiti setup. It's a one hop mesh. But the range far exceeds what any one Router can do.

I can also confirm that the Edge Router X is a much more secure Router, has many more features that lead to efficiencies then using a generic configuration in a high end consumer Router like the R7000.

Last word of advice, don't use the shitty Router provided by your internet service provider. It will create needless interference, take up channel frequency which could otherwise be at the disposal of these routers when they auto switch to the least traffic frequency, not to mention the ISP routers are inferior in performance.

Conclusion:
If you have a property of less than 1600 SQfT, get an R7000
If you have a property size of 1500-2500, get two Ubiquiti access points connected to any Router of your choice.
if you want to cover an area any greater than 2500 SQFT, then invest in a mesh network from google, asus,Netgear, Ubiquiti, etc after reading reviews online.
If you access secure items online, or run a business at home, then invest in using Ubiquiti Router and pay someone to configure it or follow the web for advice.

Good luck!
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
I wonder if most people are aware that these super-routers with a forest of antennas probably have no benefit at all for the average home user. All routers are limited to the same maximum transmit power, and your devices can only make use of the number of streams for which they have separate antennas and radios themselves - usually a max of two. So the benefit of all those antennas and radios in the router is only for supporting multiple devices streaming at high speed simultaneously.

If you're interested in the R7000, a solid AC1900 performer at a lower price, Staples is clearing them out at the moment with their in-store 25% off sale making the price about $142. My local Staples has lots of them on the clearance shelf.
Oct 28, 2011
94 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
For those who got the ubiquiti AP setup, where'd you get them from? How much? Which ones?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32208 posts
18054 upvotes
Ottawa
zdpz wrote: I currently own:
1) R7000
2) TWO Ubiquiti Access points (UAC-PRo, and a UAC LR) hooked up to a Ubiquiti EdgeX Router

I can confirm that the R7000 has a range equal to the Ubiquiti access points when compared to either one of them. I can also confirm the R7000 has the same performance and equal packet losses for high traffic high demand transfers.

I can confirm that TWO access points vs One R7000 are better than the R7000 when they are "meshed" together using the Ubiquiti setup. It's a one hop mesh. But the range far exceeds what any one Router can do.

I can also confirm that the Edge Router X is a much more secure Router, has many more features that lead to efficiencies then using a generic configuration in a high end consumer Router like the R7000.

Last word of advice, don't use the shitty Router provided by your internet service provider. It will create needless interference, take up channel frequency which could otherwise be at the disposal of these routers when they auto switch to the least traffic frequency, not to mention the ISP routers are inferior in performance.

Conclusion:
If you have a property of less than 1600 SQfT, get an R7000
If you have a property size of 1500-2500, get two Ubiquiti access points connected to any Router of your choice.
if you want to cover an area any greater than 2500 SQFT, then invest in a mesh network from google, asus,Netgear, Ubiquiti, etc after reading reviews online.
If you access secure items online, or run a business at home, then invest in using Ubiquiti Router and pay someone to configure it or follow the web for advice.

Good luck!
I have a 3500sqft home and the R7000 serves me well from front to back on the top two floors, with the exception of the basement.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1428 posts
182 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: I have a 3500sqft home and the R7000 serves me well from front to back on the top two floors, with the exception of the basement.
I hear ya...picked up three 18 inch antannas for mine and it made a big difference.
Covers my total house now
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5289 posts
1148 upvotes
Toronto
What antennas did you pick up?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2860 posts
2448 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote: I have a 3500sqft home and the R7000 serves me well from front to back on the top two floors, with the exception of the basement.
I totally believe that, I apologize for leaving out the best part.

In my case I'm not just talking about coverage, I'm talking about getting 5Ghz AC speed coverage. Majority of devices today support AC speeds.

I get AC speeds in the backyard, front patio, basement and even attic with my Ubiquiti and R7000 setup in a 3,000 SQfT house.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2860 posts
2448 upvotes
Oakville
toRFDer wrote: For those who got the ubiquiti AP setup, where'd you get them from? How much? Which ones?
Get it from the states, it works out cheaper most of the time. Like BH video or Amazon, etc.

Get the UAC Pro or UAC LR depending on your coverage need.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Aug 29, 2009
610 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote: What antennas did you pick up?
You can't replace these antenna's.
Jul 30, 2006
154 posts
108 upvotes
Netgear support is garbage. If you have any issues you are literally screwed.