Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Newegg.ca - Nvidia Shield TV + Remote + Controller - $209.99

Sep 4, 2009
283 posts
253 upvotes
Milton, ON
ordered last night and just got shipping confirmation! ETA August 16. Thanks again OP
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1232 posts
617 upvotes
GTA
Yup mine is shipping from Edison New Jersey and arriving Thursday. Can't wait! This will replace my Fire TV + Ethernet adapter, my Chromecast, and my Steam link. Funny how I bought these cheaper devices to save money just to end up spending around the same amount.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
U4IA wrote: Its all hard wired.. We just upgraded to a new asus wireless router, but I havent tried it wirelessly. When we built the house, we hard wired every room with Ethernet and phone.
This is one thing I regret not doing in my current house. I converted all of the phone lines to CAT5 connections but if I knew the phone lines were running CAT5 I would have added more drops.

Hopefully in my next home.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2705 posts
1197 upvotes
Calgary
WTF! How did I miss this. Thanks anyways OP, it is a great deal. I hope they restock.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2005
6005 posts
186 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Fantastic box and best in market. Have had for years.

The only problem with it is with its update awhile back, it stopped running Netflix 4K

youtube and amazon 4k work amazing, but Netflix stopped. I found online there was something about netflix app requiring a certain refresh rate that is incompatible with the shield.
Anyone else have this issue?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1684 posts
291 upvotes
Probably too late but just got this in my email:

Get the gadgets for less from Newegg today

Enjoy $25 off $200+ when you pay with PayPal.
Use promo code PAYPAL2018

Limited time offer. Expires August 27, 2018. Terms and Conditions apply.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
Thanks, OP. Picked up the remote only version. This will replace my Gen 1 Fire TV.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Oct 22, 2004
534 posts
130 upvotes
Ahhh I can't believe I missed this, I've been waiting for one of these to go on sale. Does newegg ever restock on sales like this?
Feb 2, 2017
560 posts
746 upvotes
Stabwound wrote: Ahhh I can't believe I missed this, I've been waiting for one of these to go on sale. Does newegg ever restock on sales like this?
I wouldn't hold my breathe.
Nov 5, 2009
596 posts
237 upvotes
GTA
ndiniwachojeff wrote: Thanks, OP. Picked up the remote only version. This will replace my Gen 1 Fire TV.
I did the same, now thinking buying the combo and reselling the controller would've been more economical.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
MotorN wrote: I did the same, now thinking buying the combo and reselling the controller would've been more economical.
Good point.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2004
1094 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
Well. Called in and their rep wasn't sure but asked me to call back today for approval as her supervisor had gone off shift. Placed order at bestbuy lastnight so it wouldn't go out of stock on me.

Called back today => denied.

I'm not too upset as this was an impulse purchase and a $240 android device (after tax) is questionable when a chromecast is working so well for me right now. At $320. I'm not willing to spend that much on this device. Rather try a mi-box or even a cheapo android box.

Anyways, in the future, do not expect bestbuy to price match newegg.ca with coupon discounts. This is intentional and may be YMMV but failed in my instance. And now, newegg is out of stock.

Wallet safe - thank you ornery manager at bestbuy.

What's more, they cannot "cancel" my order so now it will have to arrive and be refunded. Their loss on shipping which is absolutely a horrible way to do business.

orb2k wrote: did it work?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1482 posts
824 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
I ordered a day before with a $25 off code and they refuse to price match their own site for the 25% off.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8663 upvotes
GTA
HamsiBrain wrote: although reviews are OK, I'm still not sure carving a $200 out for an Android box is a good idea.
The (more than) $200 I spent years ago has saved me in:
-having to research and then purchase a replacement media box
-wasting my time to get it to work properly
-overall frustration

I spent more, but I still feel it was a very good idea
c'mon get happy!
Mar 21, 2012
712 posts
679 upvotes
Edmonton
kragnorok wrote: I am going off memory here, but I believe the Shield can do all of that without Plex Pass, whereas a lot of Android boxes require Plex Pass for direct play and such.
well i have both and i can tell you that's not true. The only thing I can think of is maybe using the Plex Media Server on your Shield gives you some of the plex pass features you would normally have to pay for if you were using Plex Media Server on a windows PC for example. My mi box plays HEVC direct play just fine, although it does struggle on very high bitrate HDR content, where the shield does not.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8663 upvotes
GTA
BinaryJay wrote: I didn't say that they're bad or ill fit for the purpose, just that they're old, and they totally are. Hardware wise, the Shield is using old technology overdue for an update. Whether or not they will update or not sooner or later nobody can say, but my money is that they will be replacing the hardware sooner than later at this point after 3+ years. It's still better hardware than all of the chinese market disgraceful "TV box" stuff which I would never tell friends or family to even consider though.

I agree, if you need a media box (have unworkable crappy stuff built into your TV) this would be the one to get today, but if you're doing fine with the media capabilities built into your TV then I would probably just wait for the next big thing as it can't be that far off at this point. For me, my TV already does Prime Video, Netflix YouTube and PLEX perfectly fine and there is precious little in the Android TV app store that I've ever found useful other than those things. I'm sure the shield would be a bunch snappier, but it's not that bad to begin with. It would also introduce a pain point of having to retrain the family into input switching to the shield and having another remote where currently everything gets controlled well with just the single one. So there are upsides and downsides (apart from spending money).
Its nVidia-manufactured and although it is old, I think you're taking the age of the product as the deciding factor over how it will perform. When the Shield came out it was an F1 racer in a field full of Ford Pintos. Since then nVidia has been slightly tweaking the hardware with every new release, keeping it fresh and fast. This device has legs for at least a couple more years, and nothing is still as powerful as this media player. Will it be the most powerful for another year? Possibly. Will it still be a capable device 2 years from now? Definitely.

Also consider if a new one were announced at the next CES in 2019, its release after that might still months off. And guaranteed more expensive.

If your TV apps still work fine then by all means, but the two app-enabled TVs I've owned have slowed down very quickly, now both have Shields and I don't even bother with the built-ins. And an FYI, you wouldn't need to retrain anyone to input switch it to the Shield, any somewhat new TV will switch to it automatically once it is turned on, and the remote it comes with is universal so it can be trained to your TV. Its the only remote I use on my newer Samsung TV as a matter of fact.

If your stuff works fine then yes, save your money, but do understand the Shield still has legs and is simple to use and control.
c'mon get happy!
Nov 16, 2012
3 posts
Winnipeg
I was just on there site now their $179 with the 25% off and back in stock.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
badonez wrote: I was just on there site now their $179 with the 25% off and back in stock.
what?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
badonez wrote: I was just on there site now their $179 with the 25% off and back in stock.
That’s the American site. The Canadian site has no stock.
Nov 16, 2012
3 posts
Winnipeg
ndiniwachojeff wrote: That’s the American site. The Canadian site has no stock.
Sorry about that just noticed it was the us site....