Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Newegg - TP-Link OnHub AC1900 - REFURBISHED - $80+$8 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 6:43 pm
69 replies
Mar 25, 2006
750 posts
160 upvotes
Hamilton
These are awesome I bought 3 of them to add to my original router to make a mesh network. Such a great deal compared to the google wifi 3 pack.
Jun 7, 2013
446 posts
560 upvotes
GATINEAU
I started a similar thread last year when they were on sale too... I've had two OnHubs for a year, no issues at all, excellent coverage around the house and outside. If you're on the fence, don't hesitate, they're great.

Rumour is Google Wifi might get upgraded with Google Assistant built in (Google Wifi/Home combo). If that's the case, I may upgrade but otherwise this is a great deal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5946 posts
2425 upvotes
Toronto
Just to make it clear - I can use it with a non onhub wifi router (nighthawk)?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1823 posts
589 upvotes
So two of these work sane way as Google wifi?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2228 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote: Just to make it clear - I can use it with a non onhub wifi router (nighthawk)?
Not in a mesh network.
itrocks4u wrote: So two of these work sane way as Google wifi?
Yup! You can mesh with other OnHubs or with Google Wifi.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47850 posts
8580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Can someone give a brief explanation on how this works? I have an idea about the technology, but not about the set up.

Does this replace conventional routers completely, or can it be set up as a secondary network, or as an access point? Is it useless without buying two or more? I literally *just* bought a new router (past 30 days now) and an Access Point (still returnable), and wondering whether it makes sense for me to look into this.

Thanks.
Aug 25, 2017
113 posts
109 upvotes
Hey, so you were able to keep your router connected to the modem and use the 3 as WiFi points in a mesh network?
Mar 1, 2012
769 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Can someone give a brief explanation on how this works? I have an idea about the technology, but not about the set up.

Does this replace conventional routers completely, or can it be set up as a secondary network, or as an access point? Is it useless without buying two or more? I literally *just* bought a new router (past 30 days now) and an Access Point (still returnable), and wondering whether it makes sense for me to look into this.

Thanks.
so a run down of how these work is they are meant as router replacements but onhub requires the google wifi app no broswer support. If you have two of them you can mesh them together. So you use 1 as main router and 1 as an ap access point but this access point is different than normal aps because its more seamless and your data doesn't get cut in half like some aps.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1222 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Can someone give a brief explanation on how this works? I have an idea about the technology, but not about the set up.

Thanks.
What it basically is, "smart" router; apparently it automatically optimizes the configuration, but dont expect to much from it

You can use it as a single stand alone router or you can buy more google hubs to create a mesh network (one single network covering larger area)

If you like tweaking your own network settings, this is not for you;

I use one at my parent's house and one for myself

I like it because 1) you change network settings on your phone (without being present in the area); I can change network settings away from home, 2) good looking design compared to other routers

It should be more than enough for most users
Last edited by JIB9022 on Aug 26th, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1823 posts
589 upvotes
Sorry a few more question:

How is pppoe on it. I have pppoe configured on Google wifi and it's limiting my fibe 1Gb to 600Mbps. Are there problems with on hub?

Also can the mesh be wired? Like Google wifi?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4989 posts
2019 upvotes
Looking at the setup guides, if I set up a mesh with two onhubs I won't need to connect them via ethernet cable right?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1222 upvotes
coilz wrote: Looking at the setup guides, if I set up a mesh with two onhubs I won't need to connect them via ethernet cable right?
well you need the initial on hub to be connected to ethernet cable; but additional ones, no
Mar 1, 2012
769 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
ya what makes this great is its a mesh network for 160. nothing even comes close to that in price i think
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26897 posts
6124 upvotes
Quick question. My house is a fairly large bungalow. I just bought a new router. Rather than buy 2 of these things, can i just set up one wireless router downstairs, run a wire upstairs for the other wireless router and have 2 separate networks? I'll connect the basement devices to the downstairs router and vice versa for the upstairs one? My phone i could just switch back and forth if need be.

Since i already have 2 wireless routers, that seems easier and much cheaper than buying 2 of these. Any disadvantages I'm not thinking of?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2937 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal
As much as I want this, I'd have to buy another switch because I have a lot of things plugged in via ethernet and I already maxed out my switch and using 2 extra plugs on my router
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11577 posts
3970 upvotes
Winnipeg
oncl0ud9 wrote: These are awesome I bought 3 of them to add to my original router to make a mesh network. Such a great deal compared to the google wifi 3 pack.
How did u do that?
Mesh doesn't work unless it's running direct connection = bridge mode. Not as an ap from another router.thats not mesh