• Mar 11th, 2021 8:08 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2021
146 posts
413 upvotes
lasalle

[Newegg] NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Pro for $239.99

Use promo code TECH, limited time only
Normally, no discount for Nvidia shield.
  • The Best of the Best: The world's most powerful Android TV streaming media player, thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip.
  • Dolby Vision - Atmos: Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus - delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.
  • Best-In-Class Design: Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, more RAM, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, and Plex Media Server.
  • Unlimited Entertainment: Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Disney + and Hulu.
  • Voice Control: The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen.
Images
  • shield.png
  • 15-351-017-S08.jpg
120 replies
Sep 25, 2019
588 posts
1161 upvotes
I want to buy for work lunch rooms. We now have a few because of virus.

Can this watch CBC & Global TV app and show on any TV?

Can we connect big keyboard to this?
Jun 17, 2007
271 posts
244 upvotes
Terrace
MikuGirl wrote: I want to buy for work lunch rooms. We now have a few because of virus.

You could, but likely this thing is more expensive than replacing the TVs with smart TVs. Just get a fire stick for that kind of use, 1/10th the price.
Jul 10, 2002
456 posts
114 upvotes
That Tegra X1+ chip is not new, it was released in 2019. In fact, NVIDIA has a pattern of updating the Shield every two years. Logically, it would be updated this year. Personally, I'm waiting for a new one with AV1 support.
Dec 2, 2010
300 posts
341 upvotes
Terrace
In case you aren't familiar with this product. The shield is by far the best android box and is arguably one of the best supported android systems (Nvidia has given the original >25 software updates).

That being said, if the price is too high for you and all you want to do is stream - go with a "Chromecast with Google TV". You can get the netflix bundle for $120 which comes with a ~$90 credit to netflix so roughly $45.66 net if your tax rate is 13%.
Mar 5, 2011
234 posts
63 upvotes
Serious question, what else do you use it other that streaming?
Games? I use a game console for that.
Anything else?
I've always been wondering if I should get one based on all the good reviews, but couldn't justify the price for the usage.
Dec 2, 2014
443 posts
173 upvotes
London, ON
damis wrote: Serious question, what else do you use it other that streaming?
Anything else?
I've always been wondering if I should get one based on all the good reviews, but couldn't justify the price for the usage.
I love the shit out of mine.

I use it exclusively for streaming but the 4K upscaler works better than it should. Even on SD content it's fairly decent to pretty good.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3821 posts
3883 upvotes
Alberta
No compromise streaming. Dolby Vision, Atmos, DTS:X and everything else you can throw at it. I have 4 of them. Unprecedented support.
Nov 26, 2018
210 posts
208 upvotes
Anything else?
one of the few devices that will play back most, if not all, downloaded and streaming content correctly. that includes files with dolby atmos and dts:x if you have a home theater setup (a big plus for me). this pro version has a plex server built in so you don't need dedicated server/NAS to run stuff. has ethernet jack if that's important to you.

can stream games from your computer or geforce now. can mirror your pc desktop and essentially run it remotely from anywhere else in your house/network. this is a huge bonus for me.

emulation. if that's something you want to do.
May 31, 2004
31 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
Anything else?
Google Meet, Geforce Now (I also have game consoles and a gaming PC, but Elite Dangerous via Geforce Now works very well on the Shield TV Pro). And ditto on the upscaling of 1080p stuff, it's very good!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2433 posts
1355 upvotes
Anything else?
Since I bought the Sony A8H oled that has a good Android TV, my Shield Pro does 2 things: PLEX serving + Kodi Streaming. And it's probably still worth it for that.
Jul 31, 2020
993 posts
754 upvotes
Behacad wrote: 7% off...... is this a deal ?
Ya, its about 7% off the regular price.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17248 posts
3498 upvotes
Toronto
I contemplated replacing my Shield 2017 with the Pro but, according to Google, the Pro doesn't support streaming movies from my Google library in 4k DV.
Last edited by audit13 on Mar 8th, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 31, 2020
993 posts
754 upvotes
konig1 wrote: one of the few devices that will play back most, if not all, downloaded and streaming content correctly. that includes files with dolby atmos and dts:x if you have a home theater setup (a big plus for me). this pro version has a plex server built in so you don't need dedicated server/NAS to run stuff. has ethernet jack if that's important to you.

can stream games from your computer or geforce now. can mirror your pc desktop and essentially run it remotely from anywhere else in your house/network. this is a huge bonus for me.

emulation. if that's something you want to do.
It even does dolby vision through plex now, and its just faster and easier to use than any android alternative. Part of the reason its so expensive is because it supports all the proprietary formats. Nvidia game streaming also actually works pretty damn well if you have an nvidia based gaming pc, way better than the steam streaming app.
Jul 31, 2020
993 posts
754 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I contemplated replaced my Shield 2017 with the Pro but, according to Google, the Pro doesn't support streaming movies from my Google library in 4k DV.
I noticed it doesnt as well, pretty lame actually.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21954 posts
25344 upvotes
Toronto
MikuGirl wrote: I want to buy for work lunch rooms. We now have a few because of virus.

if you have 4K TVs at work the 4K Roku is on sale at Best Buy now. $44.99 .

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ro ... e/13990386
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Sep 8, 2020
12 posts
8 upvotes
Very interesting point. I just got a TCL series 6 that has Roku. I've been thinking about getting an Nvidia Shield Pro, but maybe I should wait for a newer model to come out too. Roku is not horrible. Runs Plex well for me. I'd like to be a to sideload APKs to get ads of of YouTube. It'd be nice to have some apps that are not on Roku (CBC Gem comes to mind). I also expect it to be a bit snappier. Also having a little trouble justifying it.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10059 posts
2015 upvotes
Victoria
I've been thinking of buying one of these because Kodi on the firestick lost some audio capabilities due to an update (It can no longer do DTS audio).

I've been waiting for one to go on sale at best buy so I can burn off some gift cards... by the time that happens maybe there will be a new model? :)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1591 posts
590 upvotes
Anything else?
I agree with all the comments above, but I would say that unless you’re gaming or really need this HD audio passthrough (most people don’t), you’re probably better off with the new chromecast with google tv.

I have the shield, and the only reasons I got it was so Kodi would be faster than the 4K fire stick I had before, and I could do away with the terrible amazon interface.

I’ve heard that as an end user, the Kodi speed diff is neglible with the new chromecast and you have a pretty good interface.

If I was shopping for a streaming box today, I’d probably get the chromecast, but since I already have the shield, I’m extremely happy with it and don’t want to give it up in case the chromecast abilities have been overstated.