Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Nvidia Shield Pro 4K HDR Media Player - 249.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 2:02 am
Apr 30, 2008
14 posts
13 upvotes
Thanks, i have 2017 model and i fail to understand if its software or hardware limitation for Dolby vision, Atmos support
Apr 1, 2008
304 posts
518 upvotes
karldagenais wrote: Interesting. When I looked into the AI upscaler the comparison screenshots I saw didn't look THAT different to me. Maybe it's different in motion.

And my TV has Dolby vision, but I don't see the difference in colors or otherwise between Dolby Vision with built-in apps and HDR10 with my shield... Perhaps the TV isn't high end enough.

Never seen a definitive answer from Nvidia about this, but I think it's about licensing as mentioned before. It's costs money to license it for Nvidia, and a machine-by-machine basis licensing deal doesn't seem to be possible.
Interesting. I think if the tv doesn't have the brightness for it, you won't see a huge difference. On my TV it's a massive difference. I've got a Panasonic GZ1000.
Apr 1, 2008
304 posts
518 upvotes
mc_molineux wrote: Can anyone say if the upscaler works well on sports content? Streaming Dazn, Sportsnet, TSN?
I live in the country and have slow internet (21Mbps down) so I pick a lower quality stream and then use the upscaler and it does make a noticeable difference. It sharpens the lines up. I use the medium setting for everything.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
klu_9bk wrote: Thanks, i have 2017 model and i fail to understand if its software or hardware limitation for Dolby vision, Atmos support
From what I read it was a licence thing. Seeing that the 2017 device support Atmos for other apps, it didn't really make sense otherwise.
Apr 30, 2008
14 posts
13 upvotes
Thanks, i also think it has to do with licensing, its very upsetting to see Nividia not taking care of their customer and force them to purchase new device just because of licensing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
mc_molineux wrote: Can anyone say if the upscaler works well on sports content? Streaming Dazn, Sportsnet, TSN?
if the stream is 60fps (like nba league pass) then it won't work unfortunately...hoping maybe they can add this in the future cause it does a really good job on 1080p and under, 30fps stuff...linus was right
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1296 posts
2042 upvotes
Terrebonne
klu_9bk wrote: Thanks, i also think it has to do with licensing, its very upsetting to see Nividia not taking care of their customer and force them to purchase new device just because of licensing.
100% disagree. I haven't seen many products supported as well and as long as my 2015 Shield TVs, especially Android products. LOTS of features have been added over the years for free. Can't expect them to pay for new licences on 3years old (at the time) products...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1296 posts
2042 upvotes
Terrebonne
markj wrote: if the stream is 60fps (like nba league pass) then it won't work unfortunately...hoping maybe they can add this in the future cause it does a really good job on 1080p and under, 30fps stuff...linus was right
Just got an update for mine, 8.2, which adds AI Upscaler for 60fps :) enjoy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
karldagenais wrote: Just got an update for mine, 8.2, which adds AI Upscaler for 60fps :) enjoy!
ya wow great timing for that (but nba boycott just started).

also managed to sell my old 2017 shield for exactly what i paid for it so these units retain their value very well fyi...
Dec 16, 2014
34 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks like OP promo code doesn't work anymore. Anyone have an update on the promo code to knock down $10? Looking to pick one up, but wanted to double check before I pull the trigger.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)