Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Obihai OBI110 VoIP Telephone Adapter with SIP & Phone Line Gateway $25.80 + Shipping (~$43.6 Total to GTA)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2018 11:05 am
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
Dukman wrote: I picked one up from Newegg in November for $50 but back to $70 now. Newegg seems to have the best price ongoing.
sandeeS wrote: yeah. mine too. too many power outages for very short time. I am also looking for new one one.
Must be the reason why obihai ATAs are so "expensive" right now! Another place to consider is https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/. They currently have a Obi302 (obi202 without GV) for $69, but shipping is $17 to me. I am going to go with an Obi200 from Amazon, will get it tomorrow (prime) but pay $10 more than the same one at newegg. Thanks Dukman and good luck to you SandeeS
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
213 upvotes
Error2 wrote: Must be the reason why obihai ATAs are so "expensive" right now! Another place to consider is https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/. They currently have a Obi302 (obi202 without GV) for $69, but shipping is $17 to me. I am going to go with an Obi200 from Amazon, will get it tomorrow (prime) but pay $10 more than the same one at newegg. Thanks Dukman and good luck to you SandeeS
another problem is I have two lines. So I need different one as showed in post above.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Error2 wrote: My PAP2T just died after running 24/7 for at least 10 years! Any one knows of a cheap place to get a Obi200 at a decent price ($50'ish). TIA
Is it the actual unit itself, or just the power supply ? On many linksys products (routers and ATA), it is often just the Power adapter that has failed). If it is just the power supply, you can surely pick one up of same voltage and similar current rating, and most electronics surplus shops, for pretty cheap.
sandeeS wrote: yeah. mine too. too many power outages for very short time. I am also looking for new one one.
You should probably put a lot of these style little devices on a small UPS. I have my router, switch, VoIP ATA, and NAS servers on UPS units.. Not necessarily for the long runtime (even though mine are on extended runtime units, but that is a personal choice and not necessary), but essentially to protect them against these short power failures, and brownouts which are killers for power supplies.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
For the record, id pick up this box for SIP because its superior to the linksys junk that they have been producing. The PAP2t was the last item that was rock solid from them
Dec 12, 2011
553 posts
478 upvotes
NEPEAN
The 110 does not have the possibility for a Wifi. The 200 does. The 200 has a USB port that allows you to plug a Wifi dongle ($10 from Obihai). So if you buy the 110, it has to be plugged into your router with a wire.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Is it the actual unit itself, or just the power supply ? On many linksys products (routers and ATA), it is often just the Power adapter that has failed). If it is just the power supply, you can surely pick one up of same voltage and similar current rating, and most electronics surplus shops, for pretty cheap.

You should probably put a lot of these style little devices on a small UPS. I have my router, switch, VoIP ATA, and NAS servers on UPS units.. Not necessarily for the long runtime (even though mine are on extended runtime units, but that is a personal choice and not necessary), but essentially to protect them against these short power failures, and brownouts which are killers for power supplies.
Thanks Emporium.

I found a 5v 1.2a transformer. Powercycling a few times, it came back to life! I managed to take screen shots of my config at the very least. Leaving it on and see. Might be able to cancel my order!

Ya, mine is hooked up to the UPS, together with the router.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bach2266 wrote: The 110 does not have the possibility for a Wifi. The 200 does. The 200 has a USB port that allows you to plug a Wifi dongle ($10 from Obihai). So if you buy the 110, it has to be plugged into your router with a wire.
Thanks for pointing it out, but that is a very small detail and hopefully only useful, and used, by VERY few when there is literally no other option (like condos/appt where WiFi is included as part of the rent, and no option to hardwire).
For a decent VoIP experience, I would never recommend using WiFi anyhow. Do yourself a favor and hardwire it. Latency and mostly Jitter will affect voice quality, and the experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3811 posts
4200 upvotes
Mordor
Emporium wrote: Thanks for pointing it out, but that is a very small detail and hopefully only useful, and used, by VERY few when there is literally no other option (like condos/appt where WiFi is included as part of the rent, and no option to hardwire).
For a decent VoIP experience, I would never recommend using WiFi anyhow. Do yourself a favor and hardwire it. Latency and mostly Jitter will affect voice quality, and the experience.
that and you would want all of your equipment to be in one place anyway if you want to use a UPS.
no point in having equipment all over the place? just get a cordless phone and make your main unit at the same spot as where you have your router, obi, modem, phone all in one place
Apr 13, 2009
928 posts
464 upvotes
Anyone has experience with FPL Auto-recharge for World Credits (long distance calls)?
I activated auto-recharge bat it never works. Account balance practically goes to $0 and I have to manually add payment(s).
It's my mother in law account and it is PIA to monitor it all the time as she is using over $100 in long distance every month.
I submitted support ticked to have added $50 to the account and no one ever replied.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
TE7 wrote: Anyone has experience with FPL Auto-recharge for World Credits (long distance calls)?
I activated auto-recharge bat it never works. Account balance practically goes to $0 and I have to manually add payment(s).
It's my mother in law account and it is PIA to monitor it all the time as she is using over $100 in long distance every month.
I submitted support ticked to have added $50 to the account and no one ever replied.
She should consider Voip.ms for long distance... Will save her A LOT of money....

[With Obhi you can have multiple providers connected at the same time...]

Edit:
If it is mostly one number she is calling, consider this scenario: I have one Obhi unit installed in Europe w/family there. All Obhi-to-Obhi calls are free..... Additional unit will pay off in no time...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Dec 27, 2017
98 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Webslinger wrote: So if FPL sucks, there's a chance what you're using sucks too.
My comment had everything to do with their website and pricing approach and nothing to do with call quality (which is just fine on VoIP.ms).

$105 up front for "free phone line" service is... just strange. Maybe a name change to PrepaidFoneLine.com would make it more palatable or at least more accurate? ;-)

Could be just me but I find words are important.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
yvrmike wrote:
$105 up front for "free phone line" service is... just strange.
First, $79.95+tax is not $105, and that's the price for as long as you use the service.

I paid $56.50 over 7 years ago.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to port a number into FPL.

Maybe a name change to PrepaidFoneLine.com would make it more palatable or at least more accurate?

https://account.fongo.com/app/desktop/

Secondly, and more importantly, FPL's desktop app is completely free, which is where the service gets its name from, without you needing to pay a dime to receive calls from the free DID that's issued to you or make them within FPL's free calling area:
https://www.freephoneline.ca/cityListing

Edit . . . That's also the reason why you'll find the official RFD Freephoneline thread in the freebies forum:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freepho ... 21229/426/
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jan 13th, 2018 12:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
TE7 wrote: Anyone has experience with FPL Auto-recharge for World Credits (long distance calls)?
I don't.
Select "World Credits Inquiry" as the final issue type: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
In the event you've changed your billing email address since signing up for the account, also request that they update your billing email address on file.

Lastly, check your email spam folder (especially if you have webmail access to your account online). It would be odd for any business to completely ignore requests for payment.
Account balance practically goes to $0
Is she accomplishing that during a single call? Wow, just boggles my mind.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Auto-Renew
"Please note that call costing happens per minute and auto-renew is not immediate so auto-renew does not top up your balance while on a call. Your call will end if your World Credit balance has insufficient funds. Also, auto renew is currently a nightly process so you will see the auto renew amount applied to your account the next day."
she is using over $100 in long distance every month
Astonished Face

Is she calling anyone in the cities listed here: http://www.inum.net/what-is-inum-2/loca ... s-numbers/ ?
If so, you might want to look into getting a free iNUM for her so that others can call her for the price of a local call instead.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Dec 27, 2017
98 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Webslinger wrote: $79.95+tax is not $105, and that's the price for as long as you use the service.
It will be for the typical home user "I have a landline and want to keep it but not pay Shaw or Telus $18 - $36 a month" that needs an ATA and their landline of 30 years ported over. This is a thread about ATAs after all.
I paid $56.50 over 7 years ago.
Irrelevant, today that fee is $79.95 as you've indicated.
No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to port a number into FPL.
No, but I'm including that fee in my sum with a particular, common, use case in mind that would require a number port. Long time bigcabletelco customer wants to save on their home phone costs and maintain a number they've had for many years and, given the nature of this thread, support a plain old telephone(s) already in the home.

The ATA put forward in this thread is a good device for such a use case, although we probably both agree that unless a home user has a friendly technical resource like you to configure it for them and walk them through everything, they might be better off going with a turnkey provider and paying a little more in the long run. One that does real 911 / E911 too. Or finding something else in their life to cost-optimize. ;-)

Speaking of 911, this page is embarrassing. If they aren't going to provide a real E911 service they should at least be completely up front about it by describing what actually happens (which may frighten some) and not try to skirt around things by using the word "may" in the legalese found here: https://www.freephoneline.ca/911. If they aren't I wonder what legitimate PSAPs have to say about this?

I see Telus uses "may" with respect to calls not being directly routed to a PSAP but somehow the balance of their text gives me a bit more assurance that they aren't trying to mask anything whereas the FPL text. Then again Telus participates in E911 whereas FPL doesn't. Why hide that? FPL should be up front and say they are giving away a free service; E911 has a monthly cost per subscriber. Or better yet, FPL should offer E911 as a service people can choose to subscribe to like certain other VoIP providers do. That choice would be better than the status quo, and that $35 fee could even lead to driving sales for a monthly E911 service. Why don't they do it?
Its desktop app is completely free, which is where the service gets its name from, without you needing to pay a dime to receive calls from the free DID that's issued to you or make them within FPL's free calling area:
https://www.freephoneline.ca/cityListing
All wonderful, assuming using a personal computer as a phone is acceptable for the end user, but that is not the use case this thread, a thread about an ATA device, inspires, is it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
yvrmike wrote: It will be for the typical home user "I have a landline and want to keep it but not pay Shaw or Telus $18 - $36 a month" that needs an ATA and their landline of 30 years ported over. This is a thread about ATAs after all.
Not unlike your inference that something is "strange", which is completely subjective on your part, also inferring that everyone ports is just your opinion. Do you have any clue how many people I've assisted who have never ported into any VoIP service (much less on RFD)? I'm not making this up.
yvrmike wrote:Irrelevant, today that fee is $79.95 as you've indicated.
It is relevant: my point is that the longer you use the service (and sure, any lifetime service has the risk to suddenly shut down; any VoIP service runs that risk as well), the closer it approaches $0.
But that's not the reason why FPL is listed in the freebies forum, for years, on RFD.

yvrmike wrote:Speaking of 911, this page is embarrassing. If they aren't going to provide a real E911 service
What are you talking about? They do provide a "real" 911 service.

I've heard scary stuff about VoIP 911. Isn't it unreliable?

VoIP E911 is a two step process in Canada. With Freephonline, after dialing 911, the initial E911 call centre, which does have my name, address, and call back number, still has to transfer the call to local dispatch (PSAP), which doesn't have my name, address, and phone number.

It's important, when signing up to a VoIP service you're planning on using 911 with that you always keep your address updated on file with them. If you move, update your address. Your VoIP service sends that information to the E911 call centre/Northern911, which they will keep on file.

In some rare instances, I suppose it's possible that Northern911 (I'm guessing this is what FPL and other VoIP services in Canada use, but I'm not positive) may not transfer to the correct local dispatch (PSAP) number (human error happens). Some people I configured services for in the past were very paranoid about VoIP E911 and forced me to do a test call. Worked fine. That is, the first person I reached had name and address info; they ask for confirmation. And the call was promptly transferred to local dispatch and correct address info was given to local dispatch, verbally, by the first call centre. Worked fine each and every time I was asked to test.

How does this compare to 911 with a landline?

Landline 911 is not a two-step process. You don't need to keep your address updated. Landlines are the most reliable for 911 calls.
But landlines don't work after your telephone lines have been knocked out by a storm.

How does this compare with Mobile 911?

Mobile 911 is not a two step process. However, they do not have your exact address, but they should have an approximate location (they should at least have the cellular site/tower that's carrying your call), especially if you're in a major city (they may have latitude and longitude). If you're in a rural area, location based on cellular towers may not be very precise. 70%+ of 911 calls are now coming from mobile phones according to the CRTC. Going forward, this is where improvements are going to be made.

Also, keep in mind that with FPL each E911 call is $35. If you dial 911 less than twice a year (or less than every 3 years with Anveo's $1.20 USD/monthly fee) vs. paying $1.50 USD/month with Callcentric or VoIP.ms, you're ahead with FPL. And you're paying an ongoing minimum monthly fee of $3.98 with Ooma. Ask yourself how often you're calling 911. If you're a senior citizen with a lot of health issues, maybe FPL is a bad idea. (And I don't mean to belittle this point. Everyone gets old. Health is a serious matter.) Otherwise, you'll end up way ahead using a FPL in the long run (in terms of cost).

Here's the thing . . . I used to talk to FPL reps several years ago over the phone, back when they allowed tech support calls. And even then a e911 fee was listed (but not in the FAQs), and I inquired about it. I was told the fee was intended to dissuade people from test calling 911--and that people wouldn't actually be charged.

Fast forward to now, and the $35 per call E911 fee is listed in the FAQs. It's listed all over the place. It's certainly enough to prevent me from testing 911 on FPL. Reps are now saying you will be charged no matter what when you dial 911. Is that true? Maybe. Is that enough to scare me from testing 911? Sure. Has anyone been charged yet? I don't know. Anyway, no one is going to be calling 911 using FPL unless it's really necessary now, and if that's the intent, I'm fine with it. And if I really need E911 as a backup (my smartphone is always nearby), it's there for me. In the meantime, I'm not paying ongoing monthly fees for something I'm not using.

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p27964332
__wizard__ wrote: As a customer with FPL, I used 911 service 3 months ago and never got the $35 charge
YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Obihai OBi200/202 ATAs with the OBiBT adapter can be paired with smartphones over bluetooth: http://www.obihai.com/obibt.
Then with an Obihai OBi 200/202 ATA, you'd add {911:bt} in your OutboundCallRoute, and then all of your 911 calls on your phones go out over your smartphone's 911 cellular service, provided your smartphone remains within bluetooth range of the ATA.

By the way, There's also Anveo's E911 service ($25 USD per year) available through the Obitalk.com web portal, as an alternative 911 service (limited to a maximum of 5 e911 calls per year): https://www.anveo.com/e911obi.asp (click the link for more information). People asking for help with this Anveo E911 service should probably ask canadaodyowner, who is using this service and is also a Freephoneline customer: freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p24980477. I have no experience with Anveo's special E911 service.

VoIP E911 is available all the time under these conditions:

1) You have electricity. A UPS is always a good idea.

2) Your internet service isn't out.

3) Your VoIP service isn't down.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone.

yvrmike wrote:they should at least be completely up front about it and not try to skirt around things by using the word "may" in the legalese found here: https://www.freephoneline.ca/911. I wonder what legitimate PSAPs have to say about this?
There's a bunch of "may"s used, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. The only one that stands out to me as being potentially offensive is "[w]ith freephoneline service the 9-1-1 call may be routed to a different dispatcher than that used for traditional 9-1-1 dialing." The 911 call will be routed to different dispatcher. There's no "may" about it. But I'm sure a lawyer wrote that.

What E911 service do you think VoIP.ms uses in Canada?
More importantly, what makes you think it's any different from what FPL uses or that FPL doesn't offer one? (It could be different, but based on my testing, I wasn't able to discern a difference.)
I've called 911 using FPL. Have you?
All wonderful, assuming using a personal computer as a phone is acceptable for the end user
It doesn't matter whether you think using a PC is acceptable. Judgements on acceptability have no bearing on why Freephoneline is called Freephoneline--nor why FPL is in the Freebies forum on RFD (one would think that would be a bit of a clue) for years.

This is what you wrote:
$105 up front for "free phone line" service is... just strange. Maybe a name change to PrepaidFoneLine.com
You don't have to pay anything to use Freephoneline, which is why it's called Freephoneline--and also why the official RFD Freephoneline thread is located in the freebies forum on RFD.
Nothing you type is going to change that fact.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jan 13th, 2018 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 27, 2017
98 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
When I refer to FPL's page on 911 service as needing work what I'm getting at is the level (and quality) of disclosure does not in my view meet any bar that the CRTC stated obligations regarding 911 ought to have set. Yet Fibernetix and others passed the bar. Sigh.

As a shortcut for FPL and others I'd suggest improving disclosure to consumers by publishing this Youtube video as an example of how VoIP 911 calls are actually handled. And traditional telcos could publish a comparison too. Direct to E-Comm 911 (the end PSAP for most of BC) instead of hop-hop-hop. Hopefully it's not a time critical emergency. 1:37 from start of call to being able to relate the emergency to police.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
yvrmike wrote: When I refer to FPL's page on 911 service as needing work what I'm getting at is the level (and quality) of disclosure does not in my view meet any bar that the CRTC stated obligations regarding 911 ought to have set.
The only sentence that stands out to me as being potentially offensive is "[w]ith freephoneline service the 9-1-1 call may be routed to a different dispatcher than that used for traditional 9-1-1 dialing."

The intial 911 call will be routed to a different dispatcher. There's no "may" about it. But I'm sure a lawyer wrote that.

Both VoIP.ms and FPL offer Basic 911 service as defined by the CRTC.
As a shortcut for FPL and others
And for VoIP.ms, as well, which uses the exact same Northern 911 service that you posted a video for

Again, it's possible that Northern911 may not transfer to the correct local dispatch (PSAP) number (human error happens). In my testing, that level of handoffs, and, in turn, delay, never occurred. Regardless, clearly the risk exists. I tend to feel a significant portion of the problem with VoIP 911 in Canada lies with the CRTC.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jan 13th, 2018 4:03 am, edited 10 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
Webslinger wrote: If you want to fax, yes, since OBi2xx series supports T.38 fax protocol (and T.38 works with FPL, although they don't advertise support for it).
The OBi1xx series does not support T.38 fax protocol.

Also the guide I wrote for the OBi2xx series is more comprehensive than the one available for the OBi1xx series.
The OBi2xx guide can be found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839
I recommend reading through the first 4 pages (the preamble) regardless of what you do.
I am a fan of FPL spent a total of 75.00 plus tax in July of 2013 to get set up with my land line a number I had for over 25 yrs... It was important to keep the number because of old friends, and family who had that number and used it for years that I don't speak with regularly could get in touch.... I also put 5.00 in my account for long distance then of which I still have 3.65 left.

The only issue I have EVER had, was I thought I would be clever and update the firmware on my obi 100, during the flash some idiot crashed into a hydro pole about 15 feet from my apartment building. The resulting power outage during the flash bricked the obi 100, I thought the warning, about losing power during an update, could render the device useless was a joke, NOPE . I did have the satisfaction of seeing the driver get cuffed and taken in for some reason though.... LOL

Got a obi200 as a replacement and followed Webslinger's guide to hook up my printer as a fax has been going strong for over a year now. NO quality issues no dropped calls it just WORKS.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2011
4419 posts
11419 upvotes
Quebec
thx OP
In my opinion, every intervention in RFD deserve a "thanks". Thanks given until now: more than 100,000

Giving "Likes" gives cancer.... Don't do it!!!!
Apr 13, 2009
928 posts
464 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: I don't.

Select "World Credits Inquiry" as the final issue type: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
In the event you've changed your billing email address since signing up for the account, also request that they update your billing email address on file.

Lastly, check your email spam folder (especially if you have webmail access to your account online). It would be odd for any business to completely ignore requests for payment.

Is she accomplishing that during a single call? Wow, just boggles my mind.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Auto-Renew
"Please note that call costing happens per minute and auto-renew is not immediate so auto-renew does not top up your balance while on a call. Your call will end if your World Credit balance has insufficient funds. Also, auto renew is currently a nightly process so you will see the auto renew amount applied to your account the next day."

Astonished Face

Is she calling anyone in the cities listed here: http://www.inum.net/what-is-inum-2/loca ... s-numbers/ ?
If so, you might want to look into getting a free iNUM for her so that others can call her for the price of a local call instead.
She is spending 2hrs on the phone on average (single call) calling her friends in Asia.
Our email never changed and Freephoneline & Fongo are on the white list so all communications from them are received.
Account is never refilled automatically even if I leave it for 48 hrs and auto recharge option is always selected every time I add more money.
I tried to contact support multiple times and never got any reply from them. I'll do it one more time and if no help from them I'll look for another provider.

Are voip.ms long distance rates in USD or CDN? I might as well switch her account if she can save some more.