Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Obihai Obi200 $49.99 with free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2018 4:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Why am I not receiving Caller ID Name information on all incoming calls?

CNAM lookups are dependent upon your VoIP service provider--and not the Obihai ATA.

Freephoneline doesn't do CNAM lookups (I.E., Freephoneline doesn't lookup the name of the caller, using the incoming phone number, in an external database). Unless CNAM is being sent by the call provider, which often is not the case with cellular calls, only the phone numbers are going to appear. CNAM lookups cost money, and for a moderately priced one time fee, FPL isn't going to do CNAM lookups.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 68&p=25678 (a lot of replies in that thread are incorrect; CNAM will show up if it's sent by the provider)
"Just a reminder, as has been provided in other threads, when the call display feature is enabled, it will only show the information that is being sent by the provider. If that provider only sends a number, we can only display a number. This is especially common for cell phone providers and a number of digital service providers."--Fongo_mike"

So, with an incoming call to your FPL #, an incoming phone number will appear on your callerid, but a name only shows if that info is also sent by the provider. Other VoIP services typically charge a fee per call to do a lookup in a CNAM database (phone number is queried for a name in a database). FPL doesn't offer that option. If CNAM info is passed on by the provider, FPL will display CNAM.

With VoIP.ms, CNAM is only guaranteed with Premium routes.

Google Voice doesn't support outbound CNAM. If something ever displays in the name field from a GV call, the CNAM info was populated by the recipient's service provider, which would have likely done a CNAM lookup from a database. You cannot simply add your name either for your name to show up when using GV. You may be able to get your name listed in a CNAM database (often by paying), but there's no guarantee the provider being used by the person you're calling is using that database. Refer to http://classroom.synonym.com/comes-up-c ... 13680.html
GV also doesn't support inbound CNAM.

If you want CNAM lookups with Google Voice, you might want to look into Google Voice Gateway: https://simonics.com/services/
Google Voice Gateway costs a one time fee of $5.99 USD per Google Voice account, and it will allow you to use Google Voice on any SIP device. In other words, you can use GVG on any ATA. Consequently, you don't necessarily need an Obihai ATA to use Google Voice. But with GVG, you're using a third party service to connect to your Google Voice account; you're introducing an additional point of failure in the event GVG's SIP servers ever go down.

Freephoneline, VoIP.ms, Anveo, Callcentric, etc. support outbound and inbound CNAM.
But FPL will not do CNAM lookups (which cost money).
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
I've heard scary stuff about VoIP 911. Isn't it unreliable?

VoIP E911 is a two step process. With Freephonline, after dialing 911, the initial E911 call centre, which does have my name, address, and call back number, still has to transfer the call to local dispatch (PSAP), which doesn't have my name, address, and phone number.

It's important, when signing up to a VoIP service you're planning on using 911 with that you always keep your address updated on file with them. If you move, update your address. Your VoIP service sends that information to the E911 call centre/Northern911, which they will keep on file.

In some rare instances, I suppose it's possible that Northern911 (I'm guessing this is what FPL and other VoIP services in Canada use, but I'm not sure) may not transfer to the correct local dispatch (PSAP) number (human error happens). Some people I configured services for in the past were very paranoid about VoIP E911 and forced me to do a test call. Worked fine. That is, the first person I reached had name and address info; they ask for confirmation. And the call was promptly transferred to local dispatch and correct address info was given to local dispatch, verbally, by the first call centre. Worked fine each and every time I was asked to test.

How does this compare to 911 with a landline?

Landline 911 is not a two-step process. You don't need to keep your address updated. Landlines are the most reliable for 911 calls.
But landlines don't work after your telephone lines have been knocked out by a storm.

How does this compare with Mobile 911?

Mobile 911 is not a two step process. However, they do not have your exact address, but they should have an approximate location (they should at least have the cellular site/tower that's carrying your call), especially if you're in a major city (they may have latitude and longitude). If you're in a rural area, location based on cellular towers may not be very precise. 70%+ of 911 calls are now coming from mobile phones according to the CRTC. Going forward, this is where improvements are going to be made.

Also, keep in mind that with FPL each E911 call is $35. If you dial 911 less than twice a year (or less than every 3 years with Anveo's $1.20 USD/monthly fee) vs. paying $1.50 USD/month with Callcentric or VoIP.ms, you're ahead with FPL. And you're paying an ongoing minimum monthly fee of $3.98 with Ooma. Ask yourself how often you're calling 911. If you're a senior citizen with a lot of health issues, maybe FPL is a bad idea. (And I don't mean to belittle this point. Everyone gets old. Health is a serious matter.) Otherwise, you'll end up way ahead using a FPL in the long run (in terms of cost).

Here's the thing . . . I used to talk to FPL reps several years ago over the phone, back when they allowed tech support calls. And even then a e911 fee was listed (but not in the FAQs), and I inquired about it. I was told the fee was intended to dissuade people from test calling 911--and that people wouldn't actually be charged.

Fast forward to now, and the $35 per call E911 fee is listed in the FAQs. It's listed all over the place. It's certainly enough to prevent me from testing 911 on FPL. Reps are now saying you will be charged no matter what when you dial 911. Is that true? Maybe. Is that enough to scare me from testing 911? Sure. Has anyone been charged yet? I don't know. Anyway, no one is going to be calling 911 using FPL unless it's really necessary now, and if that's the intent, I'm fine with it. And if I really need E911 as a backup (my smartphone is always nearby), it's there for me. In the meantime, I'm not paying ongoing monthly fees for something I'm not using.

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p27964332
__wizard__ wrote: As a customer with FPL, I used 911 service 3 months ago and never got the $35 charge
YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Obihai OBi200/202 ATAs with the OBiBT adapter can be paired with smartphones over bluetooth: http://www.obihai.com/obibt.
Then with an Obihai OBi 200/202 ATA, you'd add {911:bt} in your OutboundCallRoute, and then all of your 911 calls on your phones go out over your smartphone's 911 cellular service, provided your smartphone remains within bluetooth range of the ATA.

By the way, There's also Anveo's E911 service ($25 USD per year) available through the Obitalk.com web portal, as an alternative 911 service (limited to a maximum of 5 e911 calls per year): https://www.anveo.com/e911obi.asp (click the link for more information). People asking for help with this Anveo E911 service should probably ask canadaodyowner, who is using this service and is also a Freephoneline customer: freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p24980477. I have no experience with Anveo's special E911 service.

VoIP E911 is available all the time under these conditions:

1) You have electricity. A UPS is always a good idea.

2) Your internet service isn't out.

3) Your VoIP service isn't down.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
By the way, even if you don't have a Google Voice phone number, you can still make calls anywhere within Canada and the U.S., provided you have a Google Voice account (it doesn't require you to have a U.S. Google Voice phone number). You just won't have a phone number with Google Voice.

The requirement for to create a Google Voice account is a U.S. IP address.
The requirement for to obtain a Google Voice phone number is both a U.S. IP address and a real (non-VoIP) U.S. phone number that hasn't been used to obtain a Google Voice number before.

. . .
jarfgames wrote: I am wondering if GV doesn't accept Freedompop numbers for setti up a new GV number
Correct.

Read the posts by Red Leatherman here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... Ja7DUHSOfQ
Red Letherman wrote: If you want to get a Google voice number, you need to verify a forwarding phone. that forwarding phone will be screened by an automated process that checks it and decides whether you can or can't use it.
The process doesn't screen the forwarding number until you choose the Google number.

If you can't use the forwarding phone to create a Google voice account, you will continue to get that same error when you try to create your account.
You can try again later or try adding a different forwarding number.
That number needs to be from a mobile or a landline, not a VoIP number.

Because a number is a "legit" mobile number doesn't mean that it will be accepted.

The number must have not been used previously on a Google voice account.
There will be some other criteria that the number will be screened for.

If you have tried a few Google numbers and continue to receive the error, then the error is that the forwarding phone is being rejected by Google's screening process and you will have to use a different forwarding number.

If you want to take it a step further, try it on a different Google account if you think the one you have is corrupt and see if it takes.

If you keep pressing to verify, Google may bar you for a day or so for repeated attempts,
but if after that you continue to get the error,
it's either because your phone is not eligible to be used to get a Google voice number
or you are being blocked by Google from getting a Google voice number.

The reasons that Google accounts are not eligible to be assigned a Google Voice inbound telephone number include (but may not be limited to):

The submitted number is from a telephone carrier that is ineligible to be used to claim a Google Voice number. Submit a number from a different carrier.
The submitted number has been previously used by either you, or the previous user of that number, to request a Google Voice number. Submit a different number.
The submitted number is outside the 48 contiguous US states. Submit a number from within the 48 contiguous US states.
Your Google account has been flagged for some violation of Google's Terms of Service or its Acceptable Use Policy. You are ineligible to get a Google Voice number.

These limitations are in place to protect the service from abuse. As such, to limit information which could be used to reverse-engineer the protections, Google will not provide any more-specific details on individual cases where a number request has been denied.

I will not assist anyone with obtaining Google Voice phone numbers (please don't PM me), and the information here is posted publically on Google's own product forums already.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 1st, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
How long does this thing last? Mine is still working fine but I'm thinking about stocking a replacement in case the 1st one dies.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: How long does this thing last?
The ATA or the sale? The sale appears to last until Tuesday, October 8th.
Mine is still working fine but I'm thinking about stocking a replacement in case the 1st one dies.
I guess the ATA . . .

I've had my OBi202 since 2012.
My parents also have an OBi202 that's been on for years, constantly.

I've actually never had an ATA die from any company. But I keep my ATAs (and my other electronics) in air conditioned areas with open ventilation. And I use a UPS, which helps protect the ATA from sudden power outages. I have no clue what other people do (not that I care either).

I figure if mine ever dies something better will probably come along--except I guess most development is in IP Phones now, and you can't use an Obihai IP phone with a fax machine (or regular phones) directly.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
WOW - SO much good information in this thread. THANK YOU :)
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
thx alot op, can we setup a call forward from freephoneline to a cell phone? is yes, can u help me directing me to how to please. thx
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
HyperTech wrote: thx alot op
I'm not the OP.
can we setup a call forward from freephoneline to a cell phone? is yes, can u help me directing me to how to please. thx
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Follow-Me- (this method breaks the telemarketing blocking methods I outlined in the FPL guide)
You need to login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings to enable Follow Me.

or

newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27255747
newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27255847
having-two-landlines-temporarily-two-pr ... #p27308803
freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p27131121
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freepho ... #p27136184

OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51).
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2840 upvotes
Ottawa
That's a very good price, previously (most of the time?), the free shipping was for Premier only which is not the case now
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: That's a very good price, previously (most of the time?), the free shipping was for Premier only which is not the case now
Yeah, the last time I remember seeing free shipping at this $49.99 price was on Boxing Day 2016.
May 9, 2008
674 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
How can I access my voip.ms voicemail while using obi200? is there a way to quickly access it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
intotech wrote: How can I access my voip.ms voicemail while using obi200? is there a way to quickly access it?
Yeah, it's basically the same process as I outlined for FPL.

a) Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (freephoneline)-->General-->DigitMap

Add *97 and *98 into your ITSP Profile (VoIP.ms) digitmap.

*97|*98

b) Then change Blind Transfer star code from *98 to *99.

Navigate to Star Codes-->Star Code Profile (Freephoneline)-->Code28

To Figure out what Star Code Profile you should be using look at Physical Interfaces-->Phone Port -->Calling Features-->StarCodeProfile
It's probably set to A. So for step 3, it's probably Star Code Profile A that you need to change.

It will show: *98, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)

Change that to
*99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)

c) submit/save/reboot ATA

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Voicemail

"*97 (Asterisk 97) is used to access directly the Mailbox associated to the account you are dialing from. If you would like to check which mailbox is associated to your account refer to Assign Voicemail

*98 (Asterisk 98) is used to access your Voicemail and choose one of your Mailbox accounts. (Will prompt for Mailbox ID and Password) "

VoIP.ms offers free chat tech support. I suggest contacting them for further assistance: https://voip.ms/company/contact
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 1st, 2017 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: Is this the best price it has ever been, historically?
It's the best it's been since Boxing Day 2016. I'd be very surprised if you see a better price this year, especially with free shipping--or at any time when CAD is this low. People have been waiting for a pretty long time for a decent sale, such as this one. $20 off with free shipping is pretty hot for 2017 in Canada.

Newegg.ca used to have sales at least once every quarter on those ATAs, but they stopped doing so, possibly because they no longer have any competition in Canada. Acrovoice.ca used to sell the OBi200 and OBi202 ATAs, but Newegg kept undercutting them; so Acrovoice stopped carrying those ATAs. And now Newegg.ca has no incentive to lower pricing. There may be another sale during the December holidays or boxing week. But I'll be surprised if the price is lower with free shipping.

If you don't care about Google Voice, the OBi300 series, which doesn't support Google Voice, is sold by Acrovoice.ca. However, I doubt their pricing with shipping is this low either ($49.99 + free shipping). At regular non-sale pricing, the OBi300 series should be cheaper than the OBi200 series.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Great deal on a great device.
Thanks OP and thanks RFD VOIP guru Webslinger.
Mar 21, 2010
844 posts
273 upvotes
Edmonton
I bought this a while ago. Very disappointed that the iPhone app was removed from the app store. No way to call it, can only call out, unless you pay for a service.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
ihatebell wrote: I bought this a while ago. Very disappointed that the iPhone app was removed from the app store. No way to call it, can only call out, unless you pay for a service.
You absolutely can call it after provisioning an iNUM number from VoIP.ms for free.
In fact, tons of people can call you for free: http://www.inum.net/what-is-inum-2/loca ... s-numbers/.
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Order_a_DI ... ring_iNums.

Regardless, ATAs, in general, are intended to be provisioned with services. They do not come with the ATA, except for Obitalk.
There's nothing cheaper in Canada, in the long run, for a home phone than Freephoneline (especially, in combination with Google Voice, if someone has a GV account) using an Obihai OBi200 or OBi202 ATA. Freephoneline provides you with a Canadian phone number and free calling to anywhere within FPL's free calling area. I've been with Freephoneline for over 7 years. After initial setup fees (over 7 years ago), I've been paying $0 each month, every month, every year. Pretty hard to beat free. And Google Voice allows you to call anywhere within Canada or the U.S. for free.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 1st, 2017 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
One of the best device, I had to replace my landline with FPL/Obi back in november 2015 and no more phone billing since that day!!
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
May 9, 2008
674 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
a) Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (freephoneline)-->General-->DigitMap

Add *97 and *98 into your ITSP Profile (VoIP.ms) digitmap.

*97|*98
My current ITSP Profile is xxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Where do I insert *97|*98?
Webslinger wrote:
b) Then change Blind Transfer star code from *98 to *99.

It will show: *98, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)

Change that to
*99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)
I would like to use the direct mailbox option *97 to access voip.ms mailbox - so I still set it to *99 (like mentioned) or *97, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)

Thanks in advance,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)