• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 6:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:18 pm
They only provisioned line 1, they do allow BYOATA but I have to configure it myself. Anyway, I am seriously considering this deal if nothing changed after I upgraded the firmware. Will do it now and see. Thanks.
If you end up needing helping provisioning an Obihai ATA with Tektalk, chances are I'm not going to be able to help you. I have no experience using Tektalk at all.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:19 pm
By the way, when dialing out it takes about 5-10 seconds before the other end ring. Pressing # does not help as others have suggested.
That's typically an issue with your diaplan. Sorry, please don't ask me to configure your dialplan; it's just too much work.
Teksavvy is paid to offer support, and even if I were to try to help you, you can't easily get access to your settings. Please contact them.
I don't use a Grandstream ATA, and I don't use Tektalk.
the HT-502 is connected to internet it will download a config file from a server somewhere (bear with me, I am newbie) and I can no longer log into the ATA with default password. I can log into it if it is not connected to internet
That situation would drive me insane. I understand why it's being done, but it would drive me nuts.

I just stumbled across this post: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31567007-
What Mango wrote at the bottom of his post closely reflects my opinion.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7706 posts
1217 upvotes
London
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:28 pm
That's typically an issue with you diaplan. Sorry, please don't ask me to configure your dialplan; it's just too much work.
Teksavvy is paid to offer support, and even if I were to try to help you, you can't easily get access to your settings. Please contact them.
I don't use a Grandstream ATA, and I don't use Tektalk.

That situation would drive me insane. I understand why it's being done, but it would drive me nuts.

I just stumbled across this post: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31567007-
What Mango wrote at the bottom of his post closely reflects my opinion.
No problem, the reason I use Tektalk is like you said for their support, after a year once I am familiar with the set up, I'll switch over to FPL. By the way, the 5-10 seconds wait don't happen all the time, just made a call and it was fine, most likely either an internet slow down or a voip server slow down. Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:04 pm
No problem, the reason I use Tektalk is like you said for their support, after a year once I am familiar with the set up, I'll switch over to FPL.
I'm just going to preface this by saying, I don't care what VoIP service you use. However, if you eventually plan on paying $79.95+tax to Freephonline, you could be using it right now instead of paying additional money to another VoIP service (Tektalk, in this case). In other words, this year, you'll pay ~120 + tax for a year (at $9.95+tax/month). And then you'll switch to Freephoneline for $79.95+tax (and possibly an extra $25+tax to port in a number). So, you'll end up paying an extra $120 +tax for the same period than if you were to go with FPL right now instead.

Anyway, it's your choice, and I think you should do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. I'm just pointing out the price difference.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 2nd, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7706 posts
1217 upvotes
London
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:12 pm
I'm just going to preface this by saying, I don't care what VoIP service you use. However, if you eventually plan on paying $79.95+tax to Freephonline, you could be using it right now instead of paying additional money to another VoIP service (Tektalk, in this case). In other words, this year, you'll pay ~120 + tax for a year (at $9.95+tax/month). And then you'll switch to Freephoneline for $79.95+tax (and possibly an extra $25+tax to port in a number). So, you'll end up paying an extra $120 +tax for the same period than if you were to go with FPL right now.

Anyway, it's your choice, and I think you should do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. I'm just pointing out the price difference.
Understood and to be honest, new to all this and is still learning. I am seriously thinking of buying the Obi since looks like it can do both Tektalk and FPL at the same time and if everything works, I'll just port the number over from Teksavvy to FPL. In any case need to read the 1st few post from you to see if I can handle it.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2135 posts
1234 upvotes
Toronto, ON
intotech wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 8:05 am
How can I access my voip.ms voicemail while using obi200? is there a way to quickly access it?
I have the Obi200 and VoIP.ms. I never call in for messages. I have voicemail sent to me via e-mail (you set that up on the VoIP.ms website). It comes as an attached .wav file, and is sent pretty quickly after the call. I use Outlook with a rule that puts these e-mails in a "Voicemail" folder. Very convenient.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:33 pm
Understood and to be honest, new to all this and is still learning. I am seriously thinking of buying the Obi since looks like it can do both Tektalk and FPL at the same time and if everything works, I'll just port the number over from Teksavvy to FPL. In any case need to read the 1st few post from you to see if I can handle it.
I recommend, at least, regardless of what you use, to read the first 4 pages of the preamble from the PDF guide located at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839 (version 1.51).

And also run the jitter/ping tests found here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28405595.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
OakAged wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:57 pm
I have the Obi200 and VoIP.ms. I never call in for messages. I have voicemail sent to me via e-mail (you set that up on the VoIP.ms website). It comes as an attached .wav file, and is sent pretty quickly after the call. I use Outlook with a rule that puts these e-mails in a "Voicemail" folder. Very convenient.
Yeah, all the major SIP services offer that feature (Freephoneline, Callcentric, Anveo, VoIP.ms, etc.) and Google Voice (which, when used with Obihai ATAs and IP phones is XMPP).
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 2nd, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1752 posts
172 upvotes
Burlington
wing0 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:31 am
I have 2 SPA2102 and after 4-5 years of using them, both power adapters died. Luckily I was able to find compatible ones from an electronic store that fixed the issue. If I have to buy new one, I'd give Obihai a try.

Why don't you get Fongo on your cellphone and use wifi to call 1-800 numbers that way to not incur any charges? It's no different from not using any Internet data with VOIP/ATA except maybe some lags/latency due to wifi.
I could do that. Or just use my cell phone especially if it is evening or weekend. I just find it easier to be on the home phone for long periods of time over my cell phone. And I don't really mind paying I don't do it very often. If I did it more i would probably try to find something else.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1111 posts
275 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wasn't this on sale for $35 before?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 4:54 pm
Wasn't this on sale for $35 before?
Not in Canada
Apr 22, 2004
47 posts
9 upvotes
Winnipeg
I am interested in using this with FPL but I cannot port my number until my Shaw contract runs out. When you pay for the FPL unlock key, is it tied to a specific phone number or is it for the device? I would like to buy it on sale and use a temporary FPL number until I can port my existing number over and then switch numbers on the OBI to my ported number.

Thx!
May 11, 2014
55 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville, ON
sctb1 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:50 pm
I am interested in using this with FPL but I cannot port my number until my Shaw contract runs out. When you pay for the FPL unlock key, is it tied to a specific phone number or is it for the device? I would like to buy it on sale and use a temporary FPL number until I can port my existing number over and then switch numbers on the OBI to my ported number.

Thx!
The unlock key is tied to your phone number. When I ported my number from vbuzzer, I created a new account with a temporary FPL number, payed for porting, and after I ported the number, I payed for the unlock key.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
sctb1 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:50 pm
I would like to buy it on sale and use a temporary FPL number until I can port my existing number over
You can do that.

By the way, a new OBiExtras supported firmware was just released for the OBi200/202 series: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
There's some pretty big news with respect to Google Voice (XMPP) support: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 9#msg84139
SteveInWA wrote: I spoke with Obihai at 6:15pm today, and here is what has happened, and what will be done to fix it.

Please reference Obihai's post here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 8#msg84058

Background:

OBi devices act as Google "Chat" (XMPP) clients, that can receive calls forwarded from a Google Voice inbound phone number. To do that, the OBi device needs to connect to a XMPP server in Google's pool of servers. Since this is a secure connection, the device needs a valid SSL/TLS certificate to connect. Google is changing their server certificates. This is causing some, but not all, OBi<-->Google XMPP connection attempts to be rejected by the server, when attempting to connect to one of their servers with a new certificate installed. Since the server pool is load-balanced, some users are affected, and others not.

Google is rolling out the new certificates, and so eventually, all OBi devices will fail to connect.

What needs to be done by Obihai to resolve this?

Obihai is in the process of modifying their device firmware to use the new certificates. The yellow triangle you'll see in the OBiTALK dashboard is because Obihai is pushing new firmware out to all 200-series and 10x2 series products, regardless of their warranty or post-warranty paid support status. Obihai will be pushing new versions with the new certificates ASAP.

FAQs

Is Obihai trying to rip us off and require payment to fix this?

Absolutely not. The firmware will be made available to every 200 and 10x2 device, free of charge, and if the device is registered on the OBiTALK web portal, the firmware will be pushed to you; all you will need to do is click the yellow triangle.

Is Google killing or banning OBi use for Google Voice?

No. Google is just changing their server certificates. There are no plans to discontinue either Google Voice itself, or the use of OBi devices with Google Voice.

Are there any settings I can change to fix this?

It's recommended that you use Google's DNS pool, (set DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary). This will eliminate the possibility of errors that might be caused by some other DNS lookup. However, it won't solve this particular issue.

What can I do in the meantime?

Nothing, as far as your OBi is concerned, except to check back here for news, and to update the device's firmware when presented with the yellow triangle. You can still use Google Voice with regular 10-digit phone linked/forwarding phone numbers, and with Google Hangouts. Remember: Hangouts operates independently from any "Chat" settings on your Google Voice settings page. Each Hangouts client (web, Android or iOS) has its own toggle switch to turn on or off ringing on inbound calls.

<Insert conspiracy theory or angry outrage here>. Opinions, theories and emotional replies will be cheerfully ignored.

Latest firmware:

Clicking the yellow triangle will update your devices, as of 7pm Pacific time:

OBi 2xx series: 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)

OBi 10x2 series IP phones: 5.1.7 (Build: 4666EX.1311)

For those with OBi100/110 ATAs, I would be nervous about whether Obihai will be making new firmware available for those devices to support GV
given the following:

http://blog.obihai.com/2016/08/end-of-l ... 0-and.html
"With this EOL [End of Life] announcement, affecting only the OBi100 and OBi110, it is important to understand that Obihai will no longer develop and release software updates. What does this mean? For example, if Google Voice, Anveo or any other service makes changes in the way they deliver their service where new software is required for the continued use the service with the OBi device, it will not be made available for the OBi100 and OBi110." (Obihai, August 10 2016)

I have no clue whether Obihai will do anything for OBi100 and OBi110 users, but based on the above quotation I'm leaning towards no.
OBi110 and 100 users might be interested in https://simonics.com/gw/. But using a third party introduces the potential for an additional point of failure.
Anyway, that's a $5.99 USD option vs. buying an OBi200, OBi202, or OBi212 ATA.

The latest OBi200/202 firmware can be found here: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 2nd, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.