• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2015 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
escapehatch wrote: If I want to just try with a completely new phone number (running parallel), where does it come from?
You get a new number when you sign up to FPL. So the new number comes from FPL.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8302 posts
1870 upvotes
Ontario
Just to clarify Webslinger, when blocking telemarketers spoofing the same first 3 digits, what is the most effective way of whitelisting numbers that we DO KNOW and have the same first 3 digits (family members)?

And this block method brings them straight to VM (with PFL, for instance), correct? It doesn't say a message "this call is blocked"? (I'd rather it not say anything)
So in the event there is a legitimate caller we're not expecting, they have the opportunity to leave a VM anyway.

I know we all encounter those numbers that keep on popping up, but man are these guys getting difficult to block.
I even read over at DSLReports that they are even bypassing auto-attendants with a 1 to continue.

Even if I could, I wouldn't want to have an auto-attendant on my home line anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: Just to clarify Webslinger, when blocking telemarketers spoofing the same first 3 digits, what is the most effective way of whitelisting numbers that we DO KNOW and have the same first 3 digits (family members)?
For example? 416-777-xxxx

777 is the first three digits? or 416? This method isn't blocking the area code.

So, in your digitmap, just add 416777xxxx, as per the instructions outlined here: http://www.toao.net/503-blocking-telema ... an-obi-ata. Now anyone dialing you with 416777xxxx, where x is any number from 0 to 9, will be blocked.

OR add 416777xxxx to the X_BlockedCallers field (found under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_BlockedCallers)

And this block method brings them straight to VM (with FPL, for instance), correct?
Only with FPL do blocked calls go straight to voicemail.

FPL does this because it makes money from incoming calls/termination fees to its network, so the call must be completed.
It doesn't say a message "this call is blocked"? (I'd rather it not say anything)
No. With FPL, the call will drop straight to voicemail.

I even read over at DSLReports that they are even bypassing auto-attendants with a 1 to continue.
Apparently

Because of not wanting these telemarketer calls to drop to FPL's voicemail, boon1 came up with a cool idea for sending these calls to the auto attendant.
merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st21660123
merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st21807239
However, for me, that's a bit of a problem because people in my household use the Auto Attendant to dial into and receive calls back from (and I don't want them to hear voice prompts that are intended for telemarketers). Because I have an OBi202, I have access to OBiPlus Basic, which gives me access to two additional auto attendants for free. I used one of them: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st21807239 Edit: It appears that OBiPlus Basic is no longer being offered for new Obihai customers.

Also, you if you have another ITSP, configured on SP2 for example, you could use

Code: Select all

{(MTelemarketers):sp2(phonenumbertosendtelemarketers)}
in FPL's X_InboundCallRoute in place of {(MTelemarketers):} to send those telemarketing calls to another phone number.

If FPL is SP1, you can also use

{(MTelemarketers):sp1(phonenumbertosendtelemarketers)}

or (for sip calls)

{(MTelemarketers):sp1(sipnumber@sipdomain.com)}
It doesn't really matter. But if you don't want telemarketing calls to drop straight to FPL's voicemail, it is possible with an Obihai ATA, to route these calls elsewhere. For example, you could send them to Lenny: http://www.toao.net/595-lenny
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3411 posts
2201 upvotes
Toronto
Man I love my Obi device! I use it with VOIP.ms + Google Voice for outgoing and international calls. My parents went from paying $50 a month with Bell, to ~$3 a month with the Obi.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8302 posts
1870 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks Webslinger. So, to whitelist specific numbers that share the same 3 first digits (in your example, 777), I would add this?

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute to:
{(1?4167771234|1?4167775555):ph}

Where 416-777-1234 and 416-777-5555 (in my example, family members), are NOT blocked.

Is that how I would correctly whitelist specific numbers AND block every other number in the 416777xxxx block?
Dec 5, 2011
101 posts
16 upvotes
Saint-Leonard
Thanks , you have a good point. I want to fax once in while so how is it to configure ?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: Thanks Webslinger. So, to whitelist specific numbers that share the same 3 first digits (in your example, 777), I would add this?

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute to:
{(1?4167771234|1?4167775555):ph}
You could.

You could create a Whitelist Digitmap with the numbers you want.

And then you could add
{(MWhiteList):ph}
Is that how I would correctly whitelist specific numbers AND block every other number in the 416777xxxx block?
If that's all you have in your X_InboundCallRoute, you're going to be blocking everything except the numbers you've whitelisted.

I've never used a whitelist method before. Hmm . . .

I guess, I just to provide an example with what you could add to X_InboundCallRoute (obviously, if you're using a white list method, you probably shouldn't be adding the other two after MWhiteList):

{(MWhiteList):ph},{(MTelemarketers):},{ph}

So from left to right, if a whitelisted number calls you, it rings your phone port. If the number is not in your whitelist, the number is checked against your Telemarketer/blacklist digitmap, and if there's a match your phone doesn't ring. If the number, by this point, still doesn't match your Telemarketer digitmap, your phone will ring.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Zlat11 wrote: Thanks , you have a good point. I want to fax once in while so how is it to configure ?
I posted this on the first page of this thread:

T.38 fax protocol works with Freephoneline and an Obi200/202 ATA.

VoIP.ms and Anveo (retail) only support T.38 fax protocol on the backend via their respective online fax web portals.

For faxing with an OBi200/202 (and FPL),

1) Use the latest firmware release (currently 3-0-1-4822 at the time of this post): http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4822.fw
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8982.0

2) If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

3) Navigate to Codecs-->Codec Profile (A or whatever the VoIP service you're using is assigned to . . . you can determine this under Voice services-->SP[freephoneline] Service-->X_CodecProfile),

4)ensure FAX Event is enabled, and

5)ensure under Codec Settings--> that FaxPassThroughCodec is set to G711U

6)T38Enable should be checked

(4, 5, and 6 should be default settings)

7) T38ECM is checked for me (and seems to work). This is not a default setting. If you have problems with this checked, uncheck it.

(submit/save)

8. I would increase volume slightly:
Navigate to Physical Interfaces-->Phone Port-->

a) Change ChannelTxGain to -1
b) Change ChannelRxGain to 0

(submit/save/reboot)

9) On your fax machine, lower baud rate to 9600 bps (I'm able to fax at faster rates than 9600, but if you can't without outgoing faxes failing, lower your baud rate to 9600)

10) On your fax machine, turn off or disable ECM (both TX and RX)
http://www.voipmechanic.com/voip-fax-settings.htm
Dec 5, 2011
101 posts
16 upvotes
Saint-Leonard
Im sorry , i should have check. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
Webslinger, how do you know so much about VoIP?? It amazes me how much you know! I love this thread, I keep reading it to find out new things from your posts!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
jory29 wrote: Webslinger, how do you know so much about VoIP??
I don't, really. I'm not an expert. I think I learned stuff reading Pianoguy's posts (he's very good) and from other VoIP experts.
It amazes me how much you know! I love this thread, I keep reading it to find out new things from your posts!
Thank you for your kind words.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18958 upvotes
This thread will come in handy when I set up my Obi202 with FPL.

Advance thank you's to Webslinger and Pianoguy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: This thread will come in handy when I set up my Obi202 with FPL.
That's the same ATA I use. Good luck!
Advance thank you's to Webslinger and Pianoguy.
:)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4369 posts
1634 upvotes
GTA
Picked this up today at Neweggs Will Call location in Richmond Hill. Painless experience but kind of a weird location, way down on East Beaver Creek. If you've never been there, you might drive past it. Look for a Tiger Direct sign and it's in the same vicinity/parking lot.

Going to start the process of replacing my PAP2T with this tonight. Hopefully an easy process going from one to the other.

@webslinger, do you recommend just sticking with the obitalk web portal for new users?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)