Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Obihai OBi200 VoIP Telephone Adapter with Google Voice & SIP - 49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 3:35 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3314 upvotes
Striker60 wrote: The PAP2T version can be found on ebay for under $30 as well.
Beware of fakes: http://voipfan.net/other/fakepap2.php.

https://toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration
Mango wrote:Please note: Though the Linksys adapters have historically been an industry standard, they are built on old technology. If you are considering buying a VoIP ATA, we recommend the new OBi ATAs. The OBi ATAs were built by the same engineers that built the PAP/SPA devices, and are sure to make an already great VoIP experience even better.

We do not recommend the new SPA112 and SPA122. Though the SPA112 and SPA122 are sold by Cisco as successors to the PAP2T and SPA2102, the new devices are not built on the same technology as the old devices and have received poor reception in the community.

Pianoguy is one of the biggest VoIP gurus on RFD (and in general):

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/freephon ... #p21479663
PianoGuy wrote:The PAP/SPA family of ATAs were an industry standard for many years until Linksys EOL'd them in 2012. Did you know that not only were Sipura and Obihai ATAs designed by the same engineers, those engineers also invented the ATA at Komodo technology 15+ years ago? OBi ATAs are really the latest versions of the PAP/SPA ATAs - granted, with more/better call routing features, better hardware, and better audio quality
Essentially, the engineering team that designed the PAP series left and eventually started designing Obihai ATAs.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Dec 22, 2012
163 posts
158 upvotes
Scarborough
Temporel wrote: How old was it? Died all of a sudden or was acting up before kicking the bucket?
After 5+ years, died suddenly. One light keeps flashing.
Nov 22, 2010
252 posts
75 upvotes
Have you tried it with another power supply? My friend had a similar problem and thought that it is dead. When I tried his box at my place with my power cord it worked!
richardjhy wrote: After 5+ years, died suddenly. One light keeps flashing.
Nov 22, 2010
252 posts
75 upvotes
Thanks, Webslinger.

I am also in the same dilemma as others- my ATA works fine from 7 years. Worried that it may give up and at that time Obihai will be expensive.
Webslinger wrote: OBi200/202 offers support for up to 4 different SIP services with phone numbers and 8 voice gateways. That means you can use up to 12 different VoIP services on one telephone.

I suggest reading the first two pages on this thread for answers to general questions: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2145415/.

This may be of interest: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32134 ... -Pbxes-com. I don’t use it and won’t be answering questions about it, but if you have questions you can ask there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3314 upvotes
new936 wrote: Thanks, Webslinger.

I am also in the same dilemma as others- my ATA works fine from 7 years. Worried that it may give up and at that time Obihai will be expensive.
These Obihai ATAs go on sale about once per quarter—or at least they go on sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday or around the Christmas holidays/Boxing week like clockwork.

Beyond that, I can’t really advise, except that none of my ATAs have ever died, but I use UPSes and keep my gear in well-ventilated, air-conditioned areas in the summer.

However, note that Obihai decided to make their OBi1xx series ATAs obsolete by not updating their firmware to support Google Voice. There’s no technical reason why they couldn’t continue updating firmware for those ATAs. They just, imo, want people to buy OBi2xx series ATAs now. So there’s nothing stopping them from introducing new ATAs and rendering OBi2xx ATAs obsolete as well. They currently have no current plans to do this, however. But as I say, nothing is stopping them from doing the same thing. They have angered a number of OBi1xx ATA users in the online community, in particular at dslreports.

With that in mind, if you’re going to wait for your current ATA to die before using one from Obihai, I would probably wait. The difference of $20 or $35 when these ATAs aren’t on sale isn’t enough to make me worry (these are $69 and $99 at regular prices; I can afford that), and by the time your current ATA dies, something else that’s better may come along. I believe in the concept that if everything is working well for you, why bother? If, however, you plan on making use of the more powerful call routing features that are offered, the Auto Attendant, or GV immediately, then go ahead and make the purchase. I use about 6 to 8 different VoIP services, and an Obihai ATA allows me to use Nomrobo with Freephoneline, route telemarketing calls elsewhere with FPL, and dial in and use the Auto Attendant to access all of VoIP services using regular cellular airtime (without having to rely on flaky cellular data), so I can’t really see myself not using an Obihai device despite the fact I’m not fond of Obihai’s support policies.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 25th, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Nov 22, 2010
252 posts
75 upvotes
Thanks,Webslinger. You are right. I will continue with my Linksys.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4690 posts
6666 upvotes
Vancouver
Webslinger wrote: However, note that Obihai decided to make their OBi1xx series ATAs obsolete by not updating their firmware to support Google Voice. There’s no technical reason why they couldn’t continue updating firmware for those ATAs. They just, imo, want people to buy OBi2xx series ATAs now. So there’s nothing stopping them from introducing new ATAs and rendering OBi2xx ATAs obsolete as well. They currently have no current plans to do this, however. But as I say, nothing is stopping them from doing the same thing. They have angered a number of OBi1xx ATA users in the online community, in particular at dslreports.
Just out of curiosity [my Obi2xxs are not affected]: if you don't need/use GV, is there any other practical reason for Obi1xx users to stop using their - now unsupported - hardware?? Are they cut off Obi servers as well, requiring full manual mode??

[I for instance never updated my Lynksys adapters, and they are going strong for years.... have one Obi2xx waiting for the second year already to get up from the bench and start playing but no dice Smiling Face With Open Mouth]
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3314 upvotes
max011 wrote: Just out of curiosity [my Obi2xxs are not affected]: if you don't need/use GV, is there any other practical reason for Obi1xx users to stop using their - now unsupported - hardware??
No, and they can use https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32134 ... -Pbxes-com. You can use that as well. (I will not be responding to questions about it.) Also, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32191614- may be of interest to OBi1xx users (again, ask over there).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5698 posts
2062 upvotes
GTEH!
Wow. Lot's of good information here and from Webslinger. Thanks.
I've been considering getting VOIP for my Home Phone service, but not really technically knowledgeable about how to set up the VOIP service properly.
I've seen the Youtube videos and it looks simple enough.

For this Obihai Obi200 ATA, you can use ANY VOIP service provider?
😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3314 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Wow. Lot's of good information here and from Webslinger. Thanks.
I've been considering getting VOIP for my Home Phone service, but not really technically knowledgeable about how to set up the VOIP service properly.

You can use any BYOD (bring your own device) SIP service provider and also Google Voice.
Answers to most questions can be found from reading through the first few pages of these threads: newegg-obihai-obi202-ata-69-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2146968/ and newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2145415/.
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5171 posts
8093 upvotes
Montreal
AMD wrote: I have also been using my Linksys PAP2T with voip.ms for like 6 years.
What makes you think your PAP2T will fail? Mine has been problem free all those years.

voip-ms-voip-ms-black-friday-deal-2241522/3/#p30151504
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
Jul 7, 2004
984 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
richardjhy wrote: After 5+ years, died suddenly. One light keeps flashing.
I own / support about a half dozen Linksys PAP2T's. Over the years I have had a few power supplies go bad which can look like a dead PAP2T (only red lights on or flashing etc) but it was actually a failing power supply. I have found that these PAP2T's are very sensitive to voltage range and anything outside the narrow band they are expecting will cause them to to not work (usually indicated by red light). If you can test with a known / good working PSU (from another PAP2T) you may find that your PAP2T is actually working fine.... Just to note, I have had issues with some psu's from other devices rated the same voltage/amps as the PAP2T unit still not work with the PAP2T....
Last edited by NorthernPaladin on Nov 25th, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5171 posts
8093 upvotes
Montreal
NorthernPaladin wrote: (...) Over the years I have had a few power supplies go bad which can look like a dead PAP2T (only read lights on or flashing etc) but it was actually a failing power supply. I have found that these PAP2T's are very sensitive to voltage range and anything outside the narrow band they are expecting will cause them to to not work (usually indicated by red light). (...)

Very interesting,
Not working temporarily but OK with another power supply?
Or permanently dead?
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3314 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Very interesting,
Yes, and that can happen with any ATA.
Or permanently dead?
No. Just the power supply
Jul 7, 2004
984 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: Very interesting,
Or permanently dead?
So far I have had at least two units became non functional (Red and/or flashing lights on unit and totally unresponsive) but when I swapped in a known good psu both these devices worked fine after that.
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5171 posts
8093 upvotes
Montreal
NorthernPaladin wrote: So far I have had at least two units became non functional (Red and/or flashing lights on unit and totally unresponsive) but when I swapped in a known good psu both these devices worked fine after that.

My PAP2T has been on a Monster power center for over 4 years and before that, it was on a big Power bar also for over 4 years so presumably with "clean" stable power. Do you think it might be why my PAP2T is still going strong after almost 9 years while others (in this thread and I have seen it in other threads as well) have failed after 4-5-7 years?

On the other hand, if it's the PAP2T's power supply that die, I don't think fluctuating AC would matter very much. Those power supply are pretty dumb and simple.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3314 upvotes
Temporel wrote: My PAP2T has been on a Monster power center for over 4 years and before that, it was on a big Power bar also for over 4 years so presumably with "clean" stable power. Do you think it might be why my PAP2T is still going strong after almost 9 years while others (in this thread and I have seen it in other threads as well) have failed after 4-5-7 years?
The fakes are known to die, and some people don't know they own them: http://voipfan.net/other/fakepap2.php. Many of those die quickly. However, some people get very lucky, and they last.

I have ATAs older than 9 years. None of them have died (even though I wanted one to). I know plenty of people who have had their ATAs die. The power supplies and the ATAs themselves can be very sensitive to power spikes. Also, some people stick their devices in areas where there's no ventilation.
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5171 posts
8093 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks "Webslinger" for all the work you did on this subject in the threads. Very useful.

"... the ATAs themselves can be very sensitive to power spikes." I will stop unplugging/plugging my ATA by just yanking/inserting the power supply plug from the back of the ATA with the power On, probably creating some mini-sparks. Lol! Oups! I should know better. I'm usually more careful than that with electronics.
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5171 posts
8093 upvotes
Montreal
Webhead wrote: Wow. Lot's of good information here and from Webslinger. Thanks.

If i were you, I would make the jump as it's not that complicated.
It's just time to invest in reading to figure things out.
Today, there is even more info available than 8 years ago when I joined.
There are elaborate wikis, many forum threads that have been fed for years, people in forums (like me) who are willing to point you in the right direction to save you time, YouTube tutorials, etc.

Once it's done, it's done and you won't have to touch it for years. You just start raking-in the savings. Lol!

The money you will invest is very low, very little risk, even if you don't pursue.
Yet the potential savings over the years is huge depending on your situation.
I switched over 8 years ago from a monthly Bell bill of around $40 per month.
I bought an ATA, paid $25 for the then porting fee (it's free this week-end) and now, I pay about $5 CAD per month.
You do the math.
Just as good voice quality, with more features than Bell.
Oct 31, 2006
423 posts
57 upvotes
I have Obihai110 and not long work with GV. Does OBi200 support GV and for how long?