[Newegg] Obihai OBi202 VoIP Phone Adapter $64.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2016 12:39 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
How do I connect an ATA to my house, so that all existing phone jacks work?

You may need to disconnect your Telco company's line at the demarc--or make sure power from it is not running to your existing phone jacks. Otherwise, you run this risk of frying your ATA. Visit http://www.voipmyhouse.com/#thesolution.

Also, check out bogolisk and canadaodyowner's pictures/posts over here: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... 21229/331/
Better to ask them about it than me.
Apr 25, 2006
287 posts
83 upvotes
Ontario
Ordered one last week when they were $59.99. Just got a FPL Voip Unlock key and will be looking at setting it up tonight. Thanks for the tips Webslinger!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
I've heard scary stuff about Nettalk possibly going bankrupt and people potentially losing their phone numbers until Primus, which appears to be getting taken over, in part, by Birch, obtained Nettalk customers' phone numbers again. What happens if Freephoneline or Fongo goes bankrupt? Will I lose my phone number?

Fibernetics, which owns/operates Freephoneline and Fongo, is the largest privately held competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in Canada, and FPL/Fongo generates revenue from incoming phone calls or termination fees to its network in addition to the fees paid by its customers. The more phone calls made to their network, the more money they make. Fongo and Freephonline are treated as being separate entities by Fibernetics (it costs money to port phone numbers between FPL and Fongo). So, FPL and Fongo are considered to be sister companies, despite offering similar services.

Fibernetics also operates/owns Nucleus Information Service, Worldline.ca, 1011295.com, 295.ca, Vonix, NEWT, etc.

In the event that Freephoneline were, for some unlikely reason, to suddenly shut down, you would still be able to port out before then:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16964
"This isn't something you have to worry about. Hypothetically speaking though, if something were to happen, arrangements would be made for users to be able port their numbers out, or stay with whichever company were to take over operations of FPL [or Fongo]. The bottom line is, you would not simply lose your number."--Fongo_Jeff

Nettalk's situation can't happen with FPL or Fongo. Fongo is owned by Fibernetics, which is a CLEC. Fibernetics has FPL's DIDs/phone numbers. If FPL doesn't pay its bills, Fibernetics still has FPL's phone numbers. If Fibernetics doesn't pay its bills, Fibernetics still has FPL's phone numbers/DIDs until another company takes over. And FPL's customers will be able to port out before then or choose to stay with the company that takes over. Moreover, FPL, Fongo, and Fibernetics are registered with CCTS: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/service-providers. If there's an issue, you can file a complaint with CCTS, and CCTS will act as an intermediary to help negotiate a resolution for you.

Nettalk is not a CLEC. Nettalk was using Irisitel for its phone numbers/DIDs. Neither are registered with CCTS at the time of this post.
Fongo is young
Fibernetics was founded in 1997.
how sure we are they will be there in 5 year?
No one has a crystal ball. But I'd say Fibernetic's chances are better than Nettalk's.

What happens if Ooma goes under?

Well, unless you can figure out how to unlock the device, you're going to be stuck with a brick.
I have called CCTS. They said if Ooma decides not to comply or negotiate with their requests, there's not much they (CCTS) can do.
At the time of this post, Ooma is not registered with CCTS.
what-happens-your-tel-if-ooma-goes-unde ... st24906141

How can I tell which carrier or CLEC has my phone number?"

Enter your phone number here: https://www.twilio.com/lookup
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
I've heard scary stuff about VoIP 911. Isn't it unreliable?

VoIP E911 is a two step process. With Freephonline, after dialing 911, the initial E911 call centre, which does have my name, address, and call back number, still has to transfer the call to local dispatch (PSAP), which doesn't have my name, address, and phone number.

It's important, when signing up to a VoIP service you're planning on using 911 with that you always keep your address updated on file with them. If you move, update your address. Your VoIP service sends that information to the E911 call centre/Northern911, which they will keep on file.

In some rare instances, I suppose it's possible that Northern911 (I'm guessing this is what FPL and other VoIP services in Canada use, but I'm not sure) may not transfer to the correct local dispatch (PSAP) number (human error happens). Some people I configured services for in the past were very paranoid about VoIP E911 and forced me to do a test call. Worked fine. That is, the first person I reached had name and address info; they ask for confirmation. And the call was promptly transferred to local dispatch and correct address info was given to local dispatch, verbally, by the first call centre. Worked fine each and every time I was asked to test.

How does this compare to 911 with a landline?

Landline 911 is not a two-step process. You don't need to keep your address updated. Landlines are the most reliable for 911 calls.

How does this compare with Mobile 911?

Mobile 911 is not a two step process. However, they do not have your exact address, but they should have an approximate location (they should at least have the cellular site/tower that's carrying your call), especially if you're in a major city (they may have latitude and longitude). If you're in a rural area, location based on cellular towers may not be very precise. 70%+ of 911 calls are now coming from mobile phones according to the CRTC. Going forward, this is where improvements are going to be made.

Also, keep in mind that with FPL each E911 call is $35. If you dial 911 less than twice a year (or less than every 3 years with Anveo's $1.20 USD/monthly fee) vs. paying $1.50 USD/month with Callcentric or VoIP.ms, you're ahead with FPL. And you're paying an ongoing minimum monthly fee of $3.98 with Ooma. Ask yourself how often you're calling 911. If you're a senior citizen with a lot of health issues, maybe FPL is a bad idea. (And I don't mean to belittle this point. Everyone gets old. Health is a serious matter.) Otherwise, you'll end up way ahead using a FPL in the long run (in terms of cost).

Here's the thing . . . I used to talk to FPL reps several years ago over the phone, back when they allowed tech support calls. And even then a e911 fee was listed (but not in the FAQs), and I inquired about it. I was told the fee was intended to dissuade people from test calling 911--and that people wouldn't actually be charged.

Fast forward to now, and the $35 per call E911 fee is listed in the FAQs. It's listed all over the place. It's certainly enough to prevent me from testing 911 on FPL. Reps are now saying you will be charged no matter what when you dial 911. Is that true? Maybe. Is that enough to scare me from testing 911? Sure. Has anyone been charged yet? I don't know. Anyway, no one is going to be calling 911 using FPL unless it's really necessary now, and if that's the intent, I'm fine with it. And if I really need E911 as a backup (my smartphone is always nearby), it's there for me. In the meantime, I'm not paying ongoing monthly fees for something I'm not using.

Obihai OBi200/202 ATAs with the OBiBT adapter can be paired with smartphones over bluetooth: http://www.obihai.com/obibt.
Then with an Obihai OBi 200/202 ATA, you'd add {911:bt} in your OutboundCallRoute, and then all of your 911 calls on your phones go out over your smartphone's 911 cellular service, provided your smartphone remains within bluetooth range of the ATA.

By the way, There's also Anveo's E911 service ($15 USD per year) available through the Obitalk.com web portal, as an alternative 911 service (limited to a maximum of 5 e911 calls per year): https://www.anveo.com/e911obi.asp
People asking for help with this Anveo E911 service should probably ask canadaodyowner, who is using this service and is also a Freephoneline customer: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24980477. I have no experience with Anveo's special E911 service.

VoIP E911 is available all the time under these conditions:

1) You have electricity. A UPS is always a good idea.

2) Your internet service isn't out.

3) Your VoIP service isn't down.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2362 posts
111 upvotes
Would this have a better chance to work with alarm monitor service (DSC panel)? The PAP2T with FPL is a no go
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
rambokid wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 10:53 am
Would this have a better chance to work with alarm monitor service (DSC panel)?

free-phone-line-grand-alarms-946314/#post21992603
fastlayne wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 10:03 pm
I use FPL and The Monitoring Center with an old DSC PC3000. I have two FPL numbers - one for the house phone system and one for the alarm.

I connected the DSC directly to a dedicated VOIP ATA. I did not want the DSC seizing my phone line and for $40 the extra ATA isolates any problems. If I needed to tweak the DSC ATA, I did not have to change my house phone ATA.

I had some problems initially with the useless Cisco SPA112, but have not had any problems with the Obi100.

(Disclaimer: I assume all risks in using VOIP for my alarm system. Thanks to everyone that is worried about my well being.)
need-landline-home-phone-but-not-bell-r ... st23753017
fastlayne wrote:
Oct 1st, 2015 8:45 pm
My Freephoneline, Obi100 ATA, and DSC PC3000 (?) all play nice together.

It is very easy, at least for DSC, to use a RJ45 straight coupler to connect directly to the ATA with a short length of RJ11 cable.

This creates a dedicated configuration without having to play with any house wiring or the RJ31X and gives the alarm system its own "phone line".

This post might be a good starting point: voip-ms-alarm-system-monitoring-centre- ... st16112120

Anyway, clearly, it's possible:

voip-ms-alarm-system-monitoring-centre- ... st16144590

mintchoco is using voip.ms with The Monitoring Centre with an Obihai ATA.

voip-ms-alarm-system-monitoring-centre- ... st22798293

Willyburan is using Callcentric (another popular VoIP service provider) with an OBi110

voip-home-security-system-1289249/#post16383484

c-ditty is using voip.ms with a Linksys PAP2T

But using VoIP is certainly less reliable than using a landline for an alarm monitoring service.
May 30, 2015
588 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dohboy wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 10:22 am
Just got a FPL Voip Unlock key and will be looking at setting it up tonight. Thanks for the tips Webslinger!
FPL SIP code is now $69.00 !
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
Eli2015 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 11:42 am
FPL SIP code is now $69.00 !
Dohboy is talking about the OBi202 price--not FPL.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
How do I set my Obihai ATA's Ethernet port to 100Mbit full duplex (it's not by default)?

http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/sg/drop

Dial *** 0
Enter option 27 and press #
Press 1 to set a new value
Enter a value of 1
Press 1 to confirm/save
Hang up
Your ATA should reboot at this point.

I'm noticing static. What should I do?
krazykanuck wrote:
Feb 10th, 2016 11:36 pm
but I do notice a lot of white noise/static on the calls I make.
1. First thing I would do is try a different phone.

2. Some users have reported switching the ethernet port to full duplex fixes static noise. Force your Obihai ATA to use 100Mbit Full duplex by doing the following:

Dial *** 0
Enter option 27 and press #
Press 1 to set a new value
Enter a value of 1
Press 1 to confirm/save
Hang up
Your ATA should reboot at this point.

3. Definitely try moving your ATA away from other devices to see if that helps.

4. Some other people mentioned the power supply adapter being an issue here:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3814.0

But that was for the OBi110/100 series, I think.

If the issue is the adapter, you may be able to get Obihai to send you a new one, but I think I would just ask for a replacement from the point of purchase (probably Newegg Canada). Also visit http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8754.0

If you try **9 222-222-222 and still get static, obviously the issue isn't your VoIP provider.
May 30, 2015
588 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 11:45 am
Dohboy is talking about the OBi202 price--not FPL.
I know, still worth mentionning that the code went from $49.00 to $69.99 in 14 months
Apr 25, 2006
287 posts
83 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah I purchased the Obi202 for $59.99 and the FPL Voip unlock key was $69.95.

Is it possible to block 911 dialing on the device so that it's not dialed by mistake and you're charged with the fee? Assuming there are cell phones available that can dial 911 if needed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
I get PMs asking me similar questions sometimes about who I think is "best."

merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st25089651
Darkman wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 5:39 pm
So is Freephoneline the best for cheap or free VOIP phone services?
In the long run, FPL is the cheapest. "Best" is pretty subjective--and it really depends on your situation. FPL doesn't have as many features as some other VoIP services.

I would recommend starting here: newegg-obihai-obi202-voip-phone-adapter ... st25148527

FPL is $70+tax for as long as you use FPL. It costs $25+tax to port your phone number. And then you need an ATA. For home use, Obihai 200/202 ATAs are the best. The last time an Obihai 200 was on sale, it cost $40+tax from Newegg.ca.

Each 911 call costs $35 with FPL. If you dial 911 less than twice a year (or less than every 3 years with Anveo's $0.80 USD/monthly fee) vs. paying $1.50 USD/month with Callcentric or VoIP.ms, you're ahead with FPL. And you're paying an ongoing minimum monthly fee of $3.98 with Ooma. Ask yourself how often you're calling 911. If you're a senior citizen with a lot of health issues, maybe FPL is a bad idea. (And I don't mean to belittle this point. Everyone gets old. Health is a serious matter.)

Those are all one time fees (except for E911).

FPL is not a good choice for those that require a lot of hand holding. Technical support is not free. You will mostly just have access to its user to user support forums.

BTW, I am in Winnipeg ... (if that matters at all).
It does matter. FPL's SIP servers are in Ontario. Ping is delay. The shorter the path, the less likely for problems to arise along that path.

Again, I would recommend clicking newegg-obihai-obi202-voip-phone-adapter ... st25148527 and starting from there.

You can also try FPL's desktop app for free: https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/ (you will need a microphone and a headset or speakers). Make sure you test on a computer that's attached to your router. If the app works well enough for you, FPL's service should work for you as well using an Obihai ATA.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
Dohboy wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 11:54 am
Is it possible to block 911 dialing on the device so that it's not dialed by mistake and you're charged with the fee? Assuming there are cell phones available that can dial 911 if needed.
Yes, but for personal/ethical reasons, I won't be assisting people with this (disabling 911 on a home phone is not a good idea, imo; and the last thing I want is someone accusing me of helping him or her disable 911). You could ask on the official Obihai (Obitalk) forums, if you really want to know--or someone else.

There's also Anveo's E911 service ($15 USD per year) available through the Obitalk.com web portal, as an alternative (limited to a maximum of 5 e911 calls per year): https://www.anveo.com/e911obi.asp
People asking for help with this Anveo E911 service should ask canadaodyowner: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24980477
I have no experience with Anveo's special E911 service.
Nov 13, 2009
515 posts
223 upvotes
Ajax
Dohboy wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 11:54 am
Yeah I purchased the Obi202 for $59.99 and the FPL Voip unlock key was $69.95.

Just remove the 911 from the dial plan
But make sure you have other form of communication to dial 911 in case of emergency
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3285 upvotes
Eli2015 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 11:53 am
I know, still worth mentionning that the code went from $49.00 to $69.99 in 14 months
Yeah, when I went with FPL over 5 years ago, it cost $50+tax. My monthly bills with FPL since then have been $0.
Now, it's $70+tax.