Got it!

Thanks a million webslinger!
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15134 posts
2264 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Thanks OP and Webslinger!

Deciding whether I should get this or wait til the obi200 goes on sale again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5241 posts
2103 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: So it's been working properly since you added Webslinger's Local DNS Record? In that case I would leave it alone and see if it continues to work. Sorry; I misread your post above and assumed the problem was still happening.

The Local DNS Record would also explain why your reboot test did not cause you to be banned.

So, now after two weeks it stay registered ( Thanks toy Webslinger and to you :) )
Sadly another issue developed, the device shows as registered but incoming call will not ring.
It will happen only sometimes, the call doesn't go to voicemail immediately, there is long silence
(I presume it's trying to reach the ATA) but then it goes to voicemail.

Any more ideas why?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Updated

Getting one way audio issues with an OBi200/202 and Freephoneline? Are incoming calls not ringing? Can you not hear one side of the conversation (you can hear the caller, but the caller can't hear you or vice versa)?

These instructions do not address "this account is not valid" messages (you would need to contact FPL/Fongo for that problem).
"If you’re getting an “invalid account” error messages, or if people trying to call you are hearing "invalid account" or a busy signal, please log in to your account online at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings and reset your Follow Me settings (or disable it). Please ensure your temporary FPL number is not listed as one of the Follow Me numbers."

If you have calls going straight to voicemail, login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings and ensure "Rings before voicemail" is greater than 1. Also, check in your ATA to ensure you don't have "Do Not Disturb" enabled. This is found after logging into your ATA or at Obitalk.com under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->Calling Features-->DoNotDisturbEnable. Ensure there is no checkmark under "Value".
Navigate to Voice Services-->SP (FPL) Service-->Calling Features
a) Ensure DoNotDisturbEnable is unchecked
b) Ensure CallForwardUnconditionalEnable is unchecked
c) Ensure CallForwardOnBusyEnable is unchecked
d) Ensure CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable is uncheked
e) Ensure AnonymousCallBlockEnable is unchecked

Often the problem is due to RTP packets not reaching the ATA. Common causes involve poorly functioning SIP ALGs (especially true with certain Netgear routers) in routers or NAT firewalls.

Hardware Specific Issues

A. Netgear R7000 routers

Disable SIP ALG in this router. Then reboot modem, router, and ATA in that order. Then test again.

If you have a Netgear R7000 router, you may need to install XWRT firmware. Afterwards, turn off the router and the ATA. Turn on the router. Wait for it to be fully up and running (including wi-fi). Then turn on the ATA. Download XWRT-Vortex here: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

B. Nettis 4422 modem from Carry Telecom (click the "Internet" tab)
http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A : Please download the newest Netis firmware at www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip. Unzip the netis1228.zip file and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested and working with most of Voip phone providers

C. Hitron CGN3 series modem/router combos from Rogers
Typically it's better to have your own router and to stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode. Otherwise, get Rogers via @CommunityHelps or TechXpert to disable SIP ALG for you. The TechXpert you speak to may not know how to disable SIP ALG. Be prepared for stupidity and resistance. Someone may try to enable DMZ in your Hitron modem/router; that's a security risk and very stupid. Be aware if you reset your modem or when Rogers pushes new firmware to your Hitron modem/router combo, SIP ALG will be enabled again by default, but there's a workaround listed in the second quotation below.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 972#M28972
Datalink wrote: Call tech support and ask the CSR to disable the SIP/ALG setting of the modem.

If the CSR refuses to check or uncheck the function switch, or tries to direct you to the Techxpert support which is a pay service, terminate the call and send a private message to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG. Include your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area. The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number. This can be obtained by calling Customer support. You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

When that is confirmed as complete, reboot the modem to determine if disabling the SIP/ALG has remedied the problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... d-id/12535
Datalink wrote:The only problem now is that a modem reset will require you to send a pm to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG setting again. To possibly avoid that, do the following:

1. Login into the modem,

2. Navigate to the ADMIN..... BACKUP page.

3. Run the Backup function and store the backup configuration file somewhere on your pc.

If you ever have to reset the modem, return to the ADMIN.... BACKUP page, run the Restore function using the configuration file that you have just created and then reboot the modem. Hopefully that also restores any parameters set by @CommunityHelps, which you are unable to accomplish from the user interface

For everyone with one-way audio issues, follow these steps:

i. Before beginning the steps below make sure whatever modem/router combo your ISP gave you is in bridge mode if you are using your own router. Call/contact your ISP if you have to.

1. Disable any and all port forwarding and/or DMZ in your router. Port forwarding creates security issues and can open the door to SIP scanners and hackers. If you're having trouble with SIP scanners and/or telemarketers, visit newegg-ca-obi200-39-99cad-obi202-59-99c ... st24563087

2. If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

(In Obitalk.com, you will need to enable and enter expert settings to do the following, if you want to use Obitalk.com. You do this by selecting Edit Profile-->Advanced Options-->check Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard-->submit))

Keep in mind too, that if you're using the Obitalk.com web portal, after you submit a new setting, it take several minutes before Obitalk.com pushes the changes you've made to your ATA. Your ATA should reboot automatically after the changes are submitted.

3. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com, Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Pick a random number between 30000 and 60000

(submit/save/reboot)

4. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP

i) ensure X_DiscoverPublicAddress is enabled (it is by default)

ii) enable X_UsePublicAddressInVia (it's not by default)
You will need to uncheck default, device default, and Obitalk settings boxes. Then check the box to enable the feature

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

5. Retest
When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

6. If that doesn't work, you can also try enabling X_DetectALG (Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP)

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

7. Retest
When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

8. If that still doesn't work, disable X_DetectALG. And submit/save/reboot ATA.

9. If there are still problems, try disabling the SIP ALG feature in whatever router or modem/router combo it is that you're using:
http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/calling-out
I'm of the opinion Apple routers don't offer this feature, but you might as well check. If you manage to disable SIP ALG in the router, then retest.

DLINK router users may need to log into the admin page of their router, click the "Advanced" tab and then "Firewall Settings",
navigate to "Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration", and uncheck SIP: http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/ ... dv_dmz.htm

If you received a modem/router combo, from your ISP ask your ISP. It is typically better to stick the modem/router combo from your ISP in bridge mode and use an external router.

See here for an example on how to disable SIP ALG in a router: http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/disable-alg

Save settings.
Turn off both router and ATA. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. Turn on ATA.

10. Try Proxyserver voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
visit http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16196 (look at the .pdf)
Make sure you refer to step 2 again.
(I'm of the opinion that step #6 makes this step redundant, but trying this is worth a shot anyway).
Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is a SIP server whose purpose is to help those with SIP ALG issues (can't disable it in the user's router, for example).

So steps #6, #9, and #10 are all related. They are attempts to address a problem created by SIP ALG.

11. Try this at your own risk: use voip3.freephoneline.ca as the proxyserver
Make sure you refer to step 2 again.
voip3.freephoneline.ca is intended for testing purposes only--or for those who receive explicit permission to use it. Using it for an extended period may get your account banned. However, if using voip3.freephoneline.ca does work, you should open up a ticket with support and let them know that you can't get two-way audio any other way: https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new

If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852

FPL configures its SIP servers differently than many other VoIP providers.
voip3.freephoneline.ca conforms more to the norm. But using it without permission can get your account banned.
If you'd like to avoid getting your account banned, use Proxyserver voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 instead and skip to step #14.

12. Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

13. If none of that helps, then, unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck with port forwarding your RTP (UDP) port range 16660-16798 from your router to your ATA. For reference, that range can be found under ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP. Then look at LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax. RTP packets need to reach your ATA in order for you get incoming audio. Quite often, when the one way audio issue occurs, this is the problem. RTP packets are not reaching your ATA. Ideally, one should not have to port forward in order to achieve proper two-way audio, since port forwarding does create security issues. Port forwarding should only be done when everything else fails.

Refer to the port forwarding section of your router manual to learn how to port forward to your ATA. If a router was given to you by your ISP, call your ISP.

14. Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

15. If all else fails, try posting at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=300 and/or open a support ticket at https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852

Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1803 posts
474 upvotes
Vancouver
lifeisfuneh wrote: Sadly another issue developed, the device shows as registered but incoming call will not ring.
I'm not totally familiar with Merlin's firmware. Can you navigate to Tools >> Run System Command and do the following?

nvram show | grep ct_udp_timeout

Let us know what the result is. I'm hoping this will work the same way as it does on Tomato.

Also let us know what your OBi's Voice Services >> SPx Service >> X_KeepAliveEnable and KeepAliveExpires is set to.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5241 posts
2103 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: I'm not totally familiar with Merlin's firmware. Can you navigate to Tools >> Run System Command and do the following?

Let us know what the result is. I'm hoping this will work the same way as it does on Tomato.

Also let us know what your OBi's Voice Services >> SPx Service >> X_KeepAliveEnable and KeepAliveExpires is set to.

The obi part was easy
X_KeepAliveEnable is checked
KeepAliveExpires set to 20

Merlin firmware looks same as Asus but there is features added

Under network Tools I found only Wake On LAN, Netstat, and Network Analysis
Under Tools there is only System Info and Other settings , but nowhere line to execute command
Will look deeper
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5241 posts
2103 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: I'm not totally familiar with Merlin's firmware. Can you navigate to Tools >> Run System Command and do the following?

Looks like I'm out of luck on running the command :(
I can enable SSH on it but not sure what to do next from Putty

The command shell was removed from the Merlin code a while back for security reasons.
To enter commands under Merlin, you need to use either telnet or an SSH client (like Putty) to enter router commands.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1803 posts
474 upvotes
Vancouver
Let's try to take a guess at it and set your X_KeepAliveExpires to 10 instead of 20. If the problem is solved, my guess is correct.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5241 posts
2103 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: Let's try to take a guess at it and set your X_KeepAliveExpires to 10 instead of 20. If the problem is solved, my guess is correct.
Thanks for your patience! :)
Will do and report back
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5241 posts
2103 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: Let's try to take a guess at it and set your X_KeepAliveExpires to 10 instead of 20. If the problem is solved, my guess is correct.
Sad to report, still the same problem :(

Got call earlier this morning fine and then couple hours later not ringing.
It was Registered for 5 days and some hours.
After reboot working again.
Nov 26, 2003
298 posts
89 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow thanks for such a great detailed thread I'm thinking of giving it a go I was scared by the technical knowledge required.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3742 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Any ideas when this might come on sale again? Need one.