Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] OnePlus 7 Pro 8GB RAM 256GB ROM - 796$ (duties included, 3rd party seller)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2019 11:08 pm
Nov 9, 2006
242 posts
10 upvotes
Thornhill
Yes VoIP.ms does not do too well with sms

Always activate using VoIP by letting them call you
Aug 17, 2019
74 posts
1 upvote
astroboy100 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 6:42 pm
Some SMS notifications can work with the VoIP.ms number, others I use my Fido number as it seems to get some incoming SMS as well, and some apps can use an Authenticator app as well for 2FA. ... The only one I haven't been able to setup is Lyft, as VoIP.ms doesn't get their text... Fido gets the text but they want a response text to verify which I can't do.

For WhatsApp I use my VoIP.ms number... You could maybe port your existing number to it if you want to keep it.
So with VOIP, it wont work the same as for example, fido provider ?

Even if I use the same number as my fido mobile plan?
Mar 23, 2009
546 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Some 2FA don't text to VoIP numbers... They can tell somehow. The Fido data plan gives you a phone number regardless, and mine a allows incoming texts but it seems to be hit or miss too whether it works depending on the sender. If you require texts reliably the safest would be to use the 2nd sim slot with a cheap provider like 7-11 speakout or freedom or public mobile cheap plan.
Aug 17, 2019
74 posts
1 upvote
astroboy100 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 7:29 pm
Some 2FA don't text to VoIP numbers... They can tell somehow. The Fido data plan gives you a phone number regardless, and mine a allows incoming texts but it seems to be hit or miss too whether it works depending on the sender. If you require texts reliably the safest would be to use the 2nd sim slot with a cheap provider like 7-11 speakout or freedom or public mobile cheap plan.
Wouldnt it be cheaper to go with Fizz mobile and pay 24$ for unlimited text, unlimited calls and 2gb of data including voice mail
Mar 23, 2009
546 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Possibly... Not sure what network they use. ... The 7-11 credit lasts 365 days and rolls over if you top up again before the year is up, so if it's just for texts that may be cheaper. I just use the 4gb Fido sim and VoIP.ms... Most my friends WhatsApp me, and if I do need to talk VoIP.ms works well enough.
Jun 3, 2006
56 posts
68 upvotes
I received mine today... here's my timeline, YMMV:
  • 8/11 - Order placed, with express shipping
  • 8/14 - Payment cleared, system generates DHL tracking number
  • 8/16 - Tracking number finally shows up in DHL system, "shipment information received"
  • 8/17-18 - Then everything becomes a blur: leaves HK, passes through the Cincinnati hub, quick stop in Eastern Quebec, then arrives in my delivery area in Eastern Ontario
  • 8/19 - First delivery attempt, not home (doh)
  • 8/20 - Delivered!
And confirming, no additional fees on delivery. Part of it could be the seller marking the item as "Electronic Product" with a customs value of $15USD lol

Phone was shipped with cushion packing inside a DHL poly mailer, a shipping box may have been better, but seemed pretty secured.

Otherwise, the package was complete, along with a bonus travel adapter that doesn't seem too useful in this case, but free is free.

Can't wait to get into this! I had a Note 10+ preorder in place, but scrapped it in lieu of this phone at this price. The 90Hz screen itself makes this device feel more snappy than my current S9+.
Images
  • 20190820_184131.jpg
  • 20190820_184505.jpg
  • 20190820_185019.jpg
Mar 23, 2009
546 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered mine on the 16th and it's still "in process" on Newegg ... So frustrating...I want it faster! Lol I paid for express shipping too
Jun 3, 2006
56 posts
68 upvotes
astroboy100 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:19 pm
I ordered mine on the 16th and it's still "in process" on Newegg ... So frustrating...I want it faster! Lol I paid for express shipping too
Yeah, I totally get it... The delay for me was the time (5 business days) in between placing my order, and the package being received by DHL. Once it's in DHL's hands, it's super quick.
I actually messaged the seller on why it was taking so long, and they apologized due to "flight problem," whatever that means. Anyway, bygones.
Aug 17, 2019
74 posts
1 upvote
astroboy100 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:04 pm
Possibly... Not sure what network they use. ... The 7-11 credit lasts 365 days and rolls over if you top up again before the year is up, so if it's just for texts that may be cheaper. I just use the 4gb Fido sim and VoIP.ms... Most my friends WhatsApp me, and if I do need to talk VoIP.ms works well enough.
What you mean if its just for text its cheaper? The fizz plan includes calls too.

Also i dont understand what you are on about with the 7-11...? You lost me haha
Mar 23, 2009
546 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
I was referring to the 7-11 plan lol you could use the $15/month Fido plan for data in sim slot 1, and if you absolutely need reliable texts a 7-11 sim in slot 2 for about $25 a year
Aug 17, 2019
74 posts
1 upvote
astroboy100 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:36 pm
I was referring to the 7-11 plan lol you could use the $15/month Fido plan for data in sim slot 1, and if you absolutely need reliable texts a 7-11 sim in slot 2 for about $25 a year
What about calls? I need a solution that I can use my current number for text and call.
Mar 23, 2009
546 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Ok sounds like fizz works best for you then. I used VoIP.ms for my calls, but I don't call a lot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2818 posts
1009 upvotes
Montreal
rocque wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:09 pm
I received mine today... here's my timeline, YMMV:
  • 8/11 - Order placed, with express shipping
  • 8/14 - Payment cleared, system generates DHL tracking number
  • 8/16 - Tracking number finally shows up in DHL system, "shipment information received"
  • 8/17-18 - Then everything becomes a blur: leaves HK, passes through the Cincinnati hub, quick stop in Eastern Quebec, then arrives in my delivery area in Eastern Ontario
  • 8/19 - First delivery attempt, not home (doh)
  • 8/20 - Delivered!
And confirming, no additional fees on delivery. Part of it could be the seller marking the item as "Electronic Product" with a customs value of $15USD lol

Phone was shipped with cushion packing inside a DHL poly mailer, a shipping box may have been better, but seemed pretty secured.

Otherwise, the package was complete, along with a bonus travel adapter that doesn't seem too useful in this case, but free is free.

Can't wait to get into this! I had a Note 10+ preorder in place, but scrapped it in lieu of this phone at this price. The 90Hz screen itself makes this device feel more snappy than my current S9+.
Glad that you received the phone and you're enjoying it.

I was also going to order the Note 10+ but after seeing this deal and comparing both. The 600$ savings and 90hz screen outweighed the very few benefits that the Note 10+ offered.
Jul 31, 2010
135 posts
180 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 3:19 pm
Seriously? People bother putting 'privacy tape' over their front cameras? For what? So hackers don't see your big chin and nostrils?
I think some people are just really full of themselves and think they are so attractive and famous that NSA agents are huddled around a computer screen feeding their geese to a live feed of their front camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2818 posts
1009 upvotes
Montreal
3$ price drop for those who get on it now

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

lalala