• Aug 28th, 2019 9:59 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19881 posts
9312 upvotes
Oakville

[Newegg] Polycom Obi200 $69.99 + free ground shipping

This is an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) for setting up VOIP in your home. $5 more than it was back in June, but still a decent price.

A *very* good informational thread on setting it up (from WebSlinger) can be found in this previous deal thread: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2145415/

Quick feature summary pulled from that thread:
  • supports T.38 fax protocol (OBi100 and OBi110 do not)
  • supports Google Voice (requires U.S. IP address for Google Voice activation)
  • has 1 phone ports
  • supports up to 4 different VoIP providers with different phone numbers (plus 8 voice gateways)
  • offers Call bridging support/capacity for you to dial into the ATA or have it call you back and allow you to dial through it from a cellphone (this is great for cellular plans with tons of incoming minutes)
  • offers USB port (for OBi Bluetooth and OBi wi-fi adapters)
  • offers X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly to accept inbound SIP requests only if they came from the same IP address of the current Registered proxy (there are ways to do the same with an OBi100/110, but it's not as simple)
  • offers X_EnforceRequestUserID to ensure that the SIP INVITE received by the OBi device has a request userid that matches the SIP account ID (there are ways to do the same with an OBi100/110, but it's not as simple)
  • offers X_BlockedCallers for blocking 10 callers easily per Service Provider (you can achieve the same thing using user defined DigitMaps in an OBi100/110--but you're limited to 511 characters per User defined digitmap; so this field lets you add even more phone numbers)
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5167 posts
2108 upvotes
whoa, when did polycom buy obihai
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19881 posts
9312 upvotes
Oakville
BenK wrote: whoa, when did polycom buy obihai
Back in January 2018, apparently.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3328 posts
654 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have Obi200 running flawlessly for years now... Ported my landline to Freephoneline for around $70 (at that time), no more monthly fees... also had Grandcentral acct which became Google voice, so my cell number, landline are linked to my Google Voice acct, with an Orlando, Florida number... I've made some dialing rules, wherein if it dials a number other than my local area it uses Google Voice to call, thereby my landline can call North America for free... Great way to have free North America calling...
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3674 posts
2000 upvotes
Halifax
I have made good use of the OBI200 auto attendant with my Public Mobile $13 unlimited incoming calling plan. I have a freephoneline and Google voice accounts registered to my OBI200, but any working VOIP account should work. On the OBI200, I also have my Public Moble phone number and Fongo app phone number registered as Trusted Callers. When I call my freephoneline number registered to the OBI200 with one of my Trusted Callers numbers, I get directed to a voice menu which offers 3 options, continue call, make a new call through one of the OBI200 accounts, or enter callback make a new call. I use the third option to make a new call and use only 1 of my Public Mobile minutes for each call. If I call through my Fongo app, I only use less than 30 seconds of VOIP data, whatever that is,
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6227 posts
2509 upvotes
Canuckland
I wonder if the OS remained the same
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19881 posts
9312 upvotes
Oakville
DealCanuck wrote: I wonder if the OS remained the same
I imagine it has. Polycom likely just rebranded it. I'll find out when mine arrives (estimated arrival date: tmw).