Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] QNAP TS-230 2-Bay NAS (Realtek RTD1296 ARM Cortex-A53 Quad-core 1.4 GHz CPU 2GB DDR4 RAM) - $179.99 (DEAL IS DEAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 8:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country

[Newegg] QNAP TS-230 2-Bay NAS (Realtek RTD1296 ARM Cortex-A53 Quad-core 1.4 GHz CPU 2GB DDR4 RAM) - $179.99 (DEAL IS DEAD)

Just spotted this great deal at Newegg for a 2-bay QNAP TS-230 NAS. This is an entry/budget NAS. Good for most home users looking to backup photos, videos, documents, etc.

They also have the TS-231K on sale for $219.99 (35% off) with free shipping.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productco ... 22-099-099

Rakuten cash back is only 1%. Air Miles is doing 1 mile for every $20 spent with 2x miles bonus.

Last edited by fudge_u on Dec 1st, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1621 posts
722 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Yea this deal was briefly discussed in the Synology ds220j thread but didn't get much love as for the same price people preferred Synology OS. Even though this device is running the same hardware but with 4x more RAM.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
awais wrote: Yea this deal was briefly discussed in the Synology ds220j thread but didn't get much love as for the same price people preferred Synology OS. Even though this device is running the same hardware but with 4x more RAM.
The Synology OS is nice from what I remember when i had a Synology NAS several years ago, but 2GB of RAM vs 512MB is a no brainer even after taking the OS into consideration. I also remember the QNAP OS had a lot more OS options/features available than the Synology OS. I'm not sure if Synology upped their game though, since it's been a few years since I've touched a Synology NAS.

At the end of the day, once it's setup and configured to work the way I want it to, I'll likely never have to touch it again unless something goes wrong.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
Sep 14, 2009
4 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Gonna jump on this, thanks!
Mar 5, 2012
509 posts
217 upvotes
Canada
awais wrote: Yea this deal was briefly discussed in the Synology ds220j thread but didn't get much love as for the same price people preferred Synology OS. Even though this device is running the same hardware but with 4x more RAM.
Is the fact it’s running an ARM chip do anything?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
Jon_b wrote: This or https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NRKC85M/ref ... XFbY62FVSX I got for $197 all in? Main uses are streaming plex up to 4k, flac music, maybe a few other apps. I feel like if the terramaster can do those things better and more reliably with the Intel processor?
Possibly, but you're also comparing a Chinese brand to one of the leaders in the space.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
BigKids wrote: Is the fact it’s running an ARM chip do anything?
They both have the same specs. The only differences are that some people prefer the Synology OS over the QNAP OS, and the QNAP has 2GB of DDR4 RAM to the Synology's 512MB of DDR4 RAM.

TBH, the QNAP OS looks relatively easy to use.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
Jan 24, 2017
93 posts
129 upvotes
Jon_b wrote: This or https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NRKC85M/ref ... XFbY62FVSX I got for $197 all in? Main uses are streaming plex up to 4k, flac music, maybe a few other apps. I feel like if the terramaster can do those things better and more reliably with the Intel processor?
Never used plex but, afaik, ARM doesn't support hardware video encoding. Not sure about encryption on ARMs (Intel is ok).
And Intel CPU will give you more room to act.
Despite the excellent Synology OS, you won't have some features on J series (like Docker) or won't be able to use them due to weak hardware.
There are some reports that people run FreeNas or XPEnology on F2-221 and even upgrades to 10GB RAM :D
But the best mobile apps have Synology hands down )
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
zingers wrote: Looks like QNAP had pretty bad security issues where NAS was being infected and QNAP was not very transparent about it. Cant find the exact link but something like below:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hundreds- ... r-attacks/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... f-devices/

Looks like it's patched if you install the latest firmware. I know the first thing I'll be doing when I receive my QNAP.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
softech wrote: would love to see 231k with more memory (compare with 230, 1GB vs 2GB)..
231K has 1GB of DDR3 memory and 32-bit CPU. The 230 is a better model, unless you need hot swappable drives.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
Aug 11, 2013
134 posts
174 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... f-devices/

Looks like it's patched if you install the latest firmware. I know the first thing I'll be doing when I receive my QNAP.
It was on the latest firmware when the attack happened and at that time they even released a utility to do the clean-up without explaining what exactly happened. And even after running the utility, several users reported the infection again. I didn't follow up on the issue but the way they handled the issue didn't build a lot of confidence.

Imagine receiving a letter from your ISP that your cool little NAS loaded with all kind of personal data is infected... and the date on the letter is one month ago... lol Face Screaming In Fear
Last edited by zingers on Nov 30th, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1597 posts
1932 upvotes
GTA
I have an old 2 bay QNAP TS-212p NAS. Works well for my limited uses and has been on continuously for about 6 years now. A pair of 4TB HGST inside that just keep going.
Only used for local file sharing, backups and recently as a syslog server for my other network devices. Not exposed to the Internet either.
For a reference, in 2014, the NAS was $120 USD and each 4TB HGST NAS drive was $165 USD. $450 USD for all.

I found the OS very easy to setup and configure.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
zingers wrote: It was on the latest firmware when the attack happened and at that time they even released a utility to do the clean-up without explaining what exactly happened. And even after running the utility, several users reported the infection again. I didn't follow up on the issue but the way they handled the issue didn't build a lot of confidence.

Imagine receiving a letter from your ISP that your cool little NAS loaded with all kind of personal data is infected... and the date on the letter is one month ago... lol Face Screaming In Fear
I guess if we follow this, then we should be okay. The issue occurs when you expose the NAS to the internet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _from_the/
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6063 posts
612 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks OP, ordered, first time NAS buyer, hope it does not disappoint.

Also, for any one interested in it, Airmileshop.ca is having a 15x airmiles site wide promotion today as well as 30 additiona BAM for $100 or more purchase, great additional savings if you are buying this NAS in newegg.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
Hopefully whoever wanted one was able to score one, because this deal is dead.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9627 posts
1756 upvotes
Richmond Hill
QNAP or Synology are pretty much same level, it's down to personal preference, both were hit by security vulnerabilities, including ransom ware. Only expose to internet if you absolutely need to share very large amount of data. Personally I keep NAS private, use cloud storage for sharing on the go, Google or Microsoft do better security job than NAS vendors
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11452 posts
8300 upvotes
Oil Country
wlee wrote: QNAP or Synology are pretty much same level, it's down to personal preference, both were hit by security vulnerabilities, including ransom ware. Only expose to internet if you absolutely need to share very large amount of data. Personally I keep NAS private, use cloud storage for sharing on the go, Google or Microsoft do better security job than NAS vendors
Agreed... but since both (DS220j and TS-230) were $179.99 recently, the TS-230 would be the better option because of the extra RAM. I don't think the RAM is upgradeable in either units either. 2GB DDR4 RAM > 512MB DDR4 RAM.
Last edited by fudge_u on Dec 1st, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man