[Newegg] Refurbished: TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Router

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2018 10:23 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
34 posts
14 upvotes

[Newegg] Refurbished: TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Router

Just came across this in New egg. The cheapest I can Find it elsewhere is 129.99. Seem like a good deal
53 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1030 posts
140 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Seems good if you don't want the Asus refurbs from the US. Has dd-wrt support
Jul 28, 2010
782 posts
417 upvotes
Shipping is extra. Newegg had the C8 refurb for $59.99 in the past. I price matched at Staples, but they included the shipping. The advantage to that was if I didn't like it, I could return for a full refund including shipping. Something to consider.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1977 posts
799 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I can't speak of the C9, but the C8 is a pretty decent router. I never was brave enough to put DD-WRT on it, because there is no webvert, and users reported loss of performance. But if you don't mind the stock firmware, it does all the basics and has a few more advanced features. I have one sitting unused in my utility closet, while I decide what I'm going to do with it... I might give it to my brother-inlaw. He is still using a N300, I gave him many years ago. Given his small apartment size though, he probably doesn't really need it. But he might appreciate having a USB port on his router.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3562 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
Nice price. Too bad that it has a Broadcom chipset with no disclosed specs. Not supported by Lede/OpenWRT, unlike the C7.
Sep 3, 2009
738 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, I ordered it from factorydirect, had to find $15 filler to get free shipping. First time buying from them, are they reliable?
Mar 2, 2015
158 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Juggernaut1 wrote: Why the heck is it so cheap?
I had the same question when I saw the coupon
I immediately jumped on it; glad that I did
only caveat with FD is no refund, only exchange
Jan 20, 2013
477 posts
81 upvotes
Woodbridge
acheter wrote: just bought a c9 from factory direct for 60 bucks (coupon expires tomorrow)
installed latest version of ddwrt on it - smooth and zero problem
works great so far
fast and responsive

http://www.factorydirect.ca/coupons/couponDetails/37433
Did you try a vpn(pptp)? With my C7 my vpn is not working for me. With previous ddwrt on linksys ea6500 vpn was absolutely fine and smooth. On my current C7 I could not get it working. Tried different version, no luck.
Apr 28, 2011
280 posts
197 upvotes
Grabbed one from factory direct for a second router - thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3562 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
zywan0124 wrote: Thanks, I ordered it from factorydirect, had to find $15 filler to get free shipping. First time buying from them, are they reliable?
Wow. The coupon says shipping would be free. No fine print that I noticed.

I'd have bought one in a flash if it ran OpenWRT/LEDE.

This is a useful review but it is from 2015 https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... 9-reviewed
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3257 posts
3075 upvotes
Mordor
SirVicksalot wrote: Once and a while you have to live dangerously and buy something from Factory Direct.
Its more like certain death
Mar 2, 2015
158 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vnkvnk wrote: Did you try a vpn(pptp)? With my C7 my vpn is not working for me. With previous ddwrt on linksys ea6500 vpn was absolutely fine and smooth. On my current C7 I could not get it working. Tried different version, no luck.
I configured openvpn client (in ddwrt) to octanevpn - works great

haven't tried pptp
Sep 3, 2009
738 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
Hugh wrote: Wow. The coupon says shipping would be free. No fine print that I noticed.

I'd have bought one in a flash if it ran OpenWRT/LEDE.

This is a useful review but it is from 2015 https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... 9-reviewed
I thought the shipping is free, but they asked me for $17 to Alberta, so I just added $17 worth of other stuff into my order to get free shipping, not too bad I guess. Hopefully everything goes well, first time shopping here. BTW, this router is that old? not familiar with routers, but isn't something from three years ago in tech world really obsoleted?