Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Samsung 390 Series LU28R550UQNXZA 28" UHD 3840 x 2160 (4K) IPS Display - $239.99 with promo code CBFBY2A64

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2022 3:40 am
Feb 19, 2006
211 posts
207 upvotes

[Newegg] Samsung 390 Series LU28R550UQNXZA 28" UHD 3840 x 2160 (4K) IPS Display - $239.99 with promo code CBFBY2A64

Looks like the lowest price in a while on a well-reviewed 4k / UHD 60Hz Samsung display. Unofficially supports HDR10.

Promo Code: CBFBY2A64 takes $60 off the sale price, bringing total cost down to $239.99 + $10 shipping + tax.

Deal Link: https://www.newegg.ca/SAMSUNG-LU28R550U ... 6824022809

3840 x 2160 (4K) 60 Hz
HDMI DisplayPort
1,000:1
1 Billion Colors
Tilt VESA Compatibility - Mountable
AMD FreeSync
HDR10 (unofficially supported).
17 replies
Nov 1, 2020
149 posts
395 upvotes
Nice find OP great value monitor
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1949 upvotes
I bought a pair of these monitors last summer when they were selling for $250 at various retailers. I use them in my WFH setup mostly for productivity work. So far so good. The monitor has 2 HDMI inputs and a DP input. I use this for connecting to 2 separate laptops and also a FireTV. The PIP feature comes in handy when I want to see both computers at the same time, or if I want to have the news displayed in a small window via FireTV. There are no built-in speakers on the monitor, but there is volume control for the audio out/headphone jack. My only complaints about this monitor are the terrible stand which is wobbly and only allows for minimal tilting up and down and the horrible design of where the VESA mount is inset. I remedied the wobbly stand by getting a pair of articulating gas spring mounts. The 75x75cm VESA mount is inset inside a circular cutout in the back. A lot of people have problems fitting their VESA mounting plate flush inside this circle because many of the universal mounts support up to 100x100cm which is too big to fit inside the circular inset. I ended up having to use spacers to get my monitors mounted.

You'll inevitably hear from people who say that 28" is too small for 4K. I use mine scaled to 125% in Windows. 100% is still usable for me for short periods of time, but for all-day working, I prefer it to be scaled up a notch.

Here's the old thread from last year:
visions-electronics-samsung-28-4k-monit ... 9-2469760/
Feb 24, 2022
10 posts
8 upvotes
London
Thanks OP. Bought one and used some Newegg credits that I got a while ago.
Apr 4, 2006
478 posts
61 upvotes
In for one as well, thanks OP!
Dec 23, 2012
49 posts
25 upvotes
Ontario
ShinNoodles wrote: The PIP feature comes in handy when I want to see both computers at the same time, or if I want to have the news displayed in a small window via FireTV.
Can you expand on this a little more?

How does the PIP feature work? Could I use it at work? Fo example, could I watch my FireTV and work using my company laptop at the same time? If I shared my screen, would the pip show?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1949 upvotes
bugmenot12 wrote: Can you expand on this a little more?

How does the PIP feature work? Could I use it at work? Fo example, could I watch my FireTV and work using my company laptop at the same time? If I shared my screen, would the pip show?
PIP allows you to display 2 separate video connections on the screen at the same time either in split screen mode (left and right), or windowed in any of the 4 corners of the screen. You also have the choice of 3 window sizes and sound source if you're using the audio out/headphone jack.

I have my work laptop hooked up to DP and my personal computer hooked up to HDMI1 and the FireTV hooked up to HDMI2. I can set either my personal computer or the FireTV as the PIP window in the monitor config. When you share your screen from your work computer, others will not see your PIP window because it is a physically separate connection from your work computer.

As to whether you can "use it at work" is at your discretion. Most employers frown at people watching TV while working. Face With Tears Of Joy But if you're WFH, then no one will know. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2020
2662 posts
9051 upvotes
picture in picture is not something i thought i'd ever see again! very cool but i think i'd want to see this in person first before buying.
Sep 18, 2017
686 posts
1048 upvotes
GVRD
Any need for having this using Autocad? Mostly 2-D linework.
Dec 23, 2012
49 posts
25 upvotes
Ontario
ShinNoodles wrote: PIP allows you to display 2 separate video connections on the screen at the same time either in split screen mode (left and right), or windowed in any of the 4 corners of the screen. You also have the choice of 3 window sizes and sound source if you're using the audio out/headphone jack.

I have my work laptop hooked up to DP and my personal computer hooked up to HDMI1 and the FireTV hooked up to HDMI2. I can set either my personal computer or the FireTV as the PIP window in the monitor config. When you share your screen from your work computer, others will not see your PIP window because it is a physically separate connection from your work computer.

As to whether you can "use it at work" is at your discretion. Most employers frown at people watching TV while working. Face With Tears Of Joy But if you're WFH, then no one will know. Winking Face
Oh damn that is awesome, one more question.

I have a laptop with a docking station from work, it supports up to 3 external displays (so two in the dock, 1 into the laptop). Could I theoretically convert this one display into two separate displays? Or will that not work? So it would be display 1 in dock, display 2 in dock, display 3 (the samsung) in laptop and display 3 split into two screens? I dont know IM thinking out loud.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5092 posts
5534 upvotes
Toronto
Raident wrote: Is this a 10-bit color monitor?
8 bit + FRC

never going to find true 10 bit at this price.

the cheapest true 10bit is the huawei mateview 28" at 699, but you have to run that at 30hz because its 4K+
Jan 22, 2003
300 posts
192 upvotes
bugmenot12 wrote: Oh damn that is awesome, one more question.

I have a laptop with a docking station from work, it supports up to 3 external displays (so two in the dock, 1 into the laptop). Could I theoretically convert this one display into two separate displays? Or will that not work? So it would be display 1 in dock, display 2 in dock, display 3 (the samsung) in laptop and display 3 split into two screens? I dont know IM thinking out loud.
I'm contemplating this same setup. Both my desktop and laptop (via dock) can out put to 4 monitors. I've got 4x right now but the possibility of having both viewable at the same time is really intriguing. If not for that, simply for the price - $239 for a 4k monitor is low for productivity!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1949 upvotes
bugmenot12 wrote: Oh damn that is awesome, one more question.

Are you saying you already have 2 monitors that are connected to your docking station and you want to add a 3rd monitor (this Samsung) to the video out on your laptop so that you will have 3 monitors for work? Then you want to use the PIP function on the Samsung to display another device (FireTV)? Sure, that could theoretically work if your laptop and docking station have enough video bandwidth for 3 displays. Remember, this is a 4K monitor, and depending on what your other 2 monitors are, you might not have enough bandwidth to run all 3 monitors at full res or at the high refresh rates. I suggest you consult your laptop and docking station manuals first. You would also need either HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2/1.4 video cable to use this monitor properly.
Banned
Nov 29, 2022
1 posts
I'm already using UR55 monitor, But I think 28" is a great size for viewing 4K up close.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)