Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $139.99+FS

[OP]
Feb 23, 2021
173 posts
496 upvotes
lasalle

[Newegg] SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $139.99+FS

w/ promo code CSSD2ZZ4Z2Z, you could get this Samsung 1TB SSD for $139.99, seems a nice price.
Up to 550 MB/s Sequential Read Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
Images
  • sam.png
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best SSDs for your devices!
17 replies
Feb 2, 2015
487 posts
758 upvotes
Calgary, AB
^ Plenty of people have computers that cannot use a NMVE ssd
Oct 7, 2009
722 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
Can this be combined with $ 10 off $ 50 when we subscribe to their email ?
Edit: No. Only one coupon per order
Last edited by jigz787 on Apr 6th, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2712 posts
2304 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ajdeals wrote: ^ Plenty of people have computers that cannot use a NMVE ssd
It's kind of funny because it seems every non NVMe (which people can't seem to spell right) SSD thread have the same question and answers about this. The next one should be "Oh but you could get an adapter and then your SSD is future proof" Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EDIT: What did I tell you? :twisted:
Last edited by willy0275 on Apr 6th, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
May 29, 2018
348 posts
291 upvotes
ajdeals wrote: ^ Plenty of people have computers that cannot use a NMVE ssd
Those people just need a cheap M.2 to PCIE adapter
May 29, 2018
348 posts
291 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: It's kind of funny because it seems every non NVMe (which people can't seem to spell right) SSD thread have the same question and answers about this. The next one should be "Oh but you could get an adapter and then your SSD is future proof" Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EDIT: What did I tell you? :twisted:
But at what point do these statements become untrue? This SSD is more expensive and much slower then almost all M.2 Drives by virtue of still being SATA
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2712 posts
2304 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Subsided wrote: But at what point do these statements become untrue? This SSD is more expensive and much slower then almost all M.2 Drives by virtue of still being SATA
I'm not saying this is wrong, it's just like an infinite loop. Also, there are cases where an 2.5" SSD will be all you need, for an older laptop for example where the SSD will be installed for years to come and by the time you get rid of it, new technology will mean that version of NVMe won't be what you will want for a new computer anyway and if you sell it you'll need an SSD so buying a NVMe with adapter will be useless in this case.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Aug 19, 2013
899 posts
820 upvotes
TORONTO
Subsided wrote: But at what point do these statements become untrue? This SSD is more expensive and much slower then almost all M.2 Drives by virtue of still being SATA
Doesnt really matter for day to day tasks. SSD vs NVMe isnt anywhere close like HDD vs SSD was. I run both, ran a bunch of real world tasks and they're almost identical. Heck, im still hard pressed to find the difference between a 2011 SATA2 SSD and nvmes.

Now if i run benchmarks, i get 3 gbps both ways. Random IOPS are higher etc etc. If your needs do take advantage of the higher speeds, then chances are you already know.

At the end of the day, i rather go with something that's a bit more reliable (but also keep making redundant backups of course)
Jul 23, 2007
121 posts
71 upvotes
vancouver
Bro, those differences ain't much.
May 29, 2018
348 posts
291 upvotes
saudor wrote: Doesnt really matter for day to day tasks. SSD vs NVMe isnt anywhere close like HDD vs SSD was. I run both, ran a bunch of real world tasks and they're almost identical. Heck, im still hard pressed to find the difference between a 2011 SATA2 SSD and nvmes.

Now if i run benchmarks, i get 3 gbps both ways. Random IOPS are higher etc etc. If your needs do take advantage of the higher speeds, then chances are you already know.

At the end of the day, i rather go with something that's a bit more reliable (but also keep making redundant backups of course)
But you're failing to take into account that NVME drives are becoming the standard very soon, each console generation signals what the mid-tier is gonna be and now that they're packing NVME SSDs they're actually gonna be utilized instead of just an SSD running a game meant for HDDs and that's when it will really matter, up.until.now all games were made with HDD in mind
Aug 19, 2013
899 posts
820 upvotes
TORONTO
Subsided wrote: But you're failing to take into account that NVME drives are becoming the standard very soon, each console generation signals what the mid-tier is gonna be and now that they're packing NVME SSDs they're actually gonna be utilized instead of just an SSD running a game meant for HDDs and that's when it will really matter, up.until.now all games were made with HDD in mind
Honestly, it's too early for that. Plus most of the nvme disks out there are PCIE3.0 and the console use 4.0 speeds. With tech, it's just better to jump on that ship when the time comes. By then, we could be getting 4TB SSDs for the price of 1TB today. With games getting bigger and bigger, a 1TB ssd you buy today, no matter how fast could end up holding maybe a readme.txt file by then. There's not much point in "future proofing" when it comes to computers.

Also if i recall correctly, consoles share the main RAM with VRAM so you'd want assets loading as fast as possible on demand to save that memory. With PCs, you can just load the entire thing into RAM without taking a hit on VRAM

Anyways it's still a use-case scenario. If you plan to play those games, by all means, go for NVME since the prices are so close these days. But that doesn't mean this SATA SSD is automatically bad. For day to day tasks, it's good enough plus you get the proven reliability benefit
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1093 posts
394 upvotes
Abbotsford
ZhiyuX072143 wrote: With the same price why not getting a 1tb NMVE ssd?
Link for Samsung EVO NMVe 1tb drive for the same price?
Penalty Box
Jul 31, 2020
1151 posts
862 upvotes
FrostyButters wrote: Link for Samsung EVO NMVe 1tb drive for the same price?
I dont know of any 1tb NVMe drives that are less than $200, maybe I missed some deals.
Penalty Box
Jul 31, 2020
1151 posts
862 upvotes
saudor wrote: Doesnt really matter for day to day tasks. SSD vs NVMe isnt anywhere close like HDD vs SSD was. I run both, ran a bunch of real world tasks and they're almost identical. Heck, im still hard pressed to find the difference between a 2011 SATA2 SSD and nvmes.

This is true at the moment, but in the future I strongly suspect software will use that extra speed more effectively (gaming probably will need it to keep up with the consoles). If you can get NVMe for the same price or even close to the same price, go for that... I cant find a good reason not to. I never suggest you buy based on what is good enough for today only, unless you dont plan on keeping your parts for a few years. Sales folks love to tell you some cheap hardware is good enough, and they hope you come back soon when it isnt good enough anymore.
Jan 16, 2018
21 posts
4 upvotes
FrostyButters wrote: Link for Samsung EVO NMVe 1tb drive for the same price?
I'm only talking about the significant higher R/W speed of nvme ssd than sata ssd. If you don't mind the brand you can get the 1tb WD SN550 from Amazon at the same price to grant you better performance/dollar ratio.
Penalty Box
Jul 31, 2020
1151 posts
862 upvotes
ZhiyuX072143 wrote: I'm only talking about the significant higher R/W speed of nvme ssd than sata ssd. If you don't mind the brand you can get the 1tb WD SN550 from Amazon at the same price to grant you better performance/dollar ratio.
If its for gaming, I would stretch to the SN750 since it should keep up. I like to keep the same parts for 5 years or more, so Im anticipating the new consoles and their fast NVMe drives being the entry level in the next year or so.
Nov 1, 2008
681 posts
480 upvotes
Canada
Same drive at STAPLES comes out to $152.89 shipped after Ontario taxes when use 10% coupon 94008
==================================================