• Oct 19th, 2021 7:16 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2021
7 posts
10 upvotes

[Newegg] SAMSUNG 870 QVO Series 2.5" 2TB SSD for $219.99

Features:
GO BIG, DO MORE: The 870 QVO is Samsung's latest 2nd generation QLC SSD with up to 8TB of storage capacity
ENHANCED IN EVERY WAY: With an expanded SATA interface limit of 560/530 MB/s sequential speeds, the 870 QVO improves random access speed and sustained performance
BOOST CAPACITY: The 870 QVO is available in 1, 2, 4 and 8TB
RELIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE: The capacity of the 8TB 870 QVO increases reliability up to 2,880 TBW using a refined ECC algorithm for stable performance
UPGRADE WITH EASE: Upgrading to 870 QVO is now easier than ever for anyone with a desktop PC or laptop that supports a standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor
SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Manage your drive and enhance its performance with tools that keep up with the latest updates and monitor the drive's health and status
WORLD'S #1 FLASH MEMORY BRAND: All firmware and components, including Samsung's world renowned DRAM and NAND, are produced in house, allowing end to end integration for quality you can trust
Images
  • 20-147-782-V01.jpg
Thread Summary
If you're shopping around, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best SSDs for your devices!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43280 posts
7201 upvotes
Hmm. QLC. Isn’t MLC and SLC better? Heck even TLC?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2454 posts
1724 upvotes
GTA
I think this new OP is like the one ( jonael if memory serves right ) just disappeared ??

Anyway, why are there so many of these people posting and promoting these garbage items ??
¸

- - - - -
;)
Aug 4, 2014
46 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Why all the downvotes? Someone explain why it's a bad deal? Is there a comparable product at a better price? Or is this product so bad that one should pay more money for a different product?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2306 posts
1503 upvotes
North Vancouver
QLC drives are great for their intended purposes, that is, low-cost drives to replace HDDs in read-intensive workloads. While peak performance can rival even high-end TLC-based drives, their performance in steady-state situations leaves a lot to be desired. Unlike with the quick adoption of TLC NAND in both high-end consumer and enterprise drives, unless steady-state QLC performance improves significantly, we don’t see them becoming a TLC replacement anytime soon. Source: https://blog.synology.com/tlc-vs-qlc-ss ... ifferences
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36106 posts
4640 upvotes
Winnipeg
NomanS154 wrote: Why all the downvotes? Someone explain why it's a bad deal? Is there a comparable product at a better price? Or is this product so bad that one should pay more money for a different product?
people just hate QLC, it is like the slowest type of ssd.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Dec 8, 2019
186 posts
292 upvotes
NomanS154 wrote: Why all the downvotes? Someone explain why it's a bad deal? Is there a comparable product at a better price? Or is this product so bad that one should pay more money for a different product?
Because you can get the WD Blue 2TB right now for $212, which is a much better and faster TLC-based drive…

Samsung makes some great drives, and QLC has its place on the market. But it’s just a bad deal in this instance when there are better alternatives that costs less.
Jul 18, 2019
821 posts
2037 upvotes
North York ON
$219 for the QVO isn't a bad price if you're looking for a 2.5" SSD. SanDisk SSD Plus went down to $200 a few weeks ago.

If you're not specifically looking for a 2.5" drive, M.2 NVMe drives are better. The Kingston NV1 was $209 just days ago. The Kingston 1TB A2000 was $105 yesterday. The Team Group 1TB MP33 is $85 but it's hard to find stock.

It's not a hot deal, in my opinion.
Sep 14, 2007
217 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
At the 1TB level, the 870 QVO out-benches the WD Blue by 21%, over at userbenchmark.net. (Just a datapoint not that I would rely solely on that - userbenchmark reflects best-case performance more than worst-case performance.) Samsung executes well, and QVO is faster than many TLC's on the market. (Note that most budget SATA SSD's on the market today are junk.)

For Intel 670p, QLC has advanced to a point where it catches up with a good TLC. This means we can no longer categorically dismiss anything simply because it utilizes a certain technology. I won't auto-downvote every QLC out there simply because it is QLC.

Newegg had a $10 coupon last week, and at $209 would not have been downvoted at all. That said, I'll still pass because the sustained write metric of 870 QVO is still pretty unsatisfactory.

In daily use there is little to no noticeable difference. My lowly QLC DRAM-less Crucial BX500 which was universally panned had little to no noticeable difference compared to my Samsung 970 EVO Plus, one of the highest performing NVMe's. Of course if we bench them there is a huge difference, but to use them - hardly noticeable.