Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD $220

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 2:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
wongster wrote: Also the 980 non pro version went down to $149 on amazon.ca as well. That just uses pci gen3
It's also DRAM-less. There is little to no reason to look at the 980 at $149 when there exist similar or even better drives that are cheaper.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3719 posts
2633 upvotes
EDMONTON
TypeVR6 wrote: I installed the following:

M.2 2280 SSD Heatsink Cooler (Green) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B089NV5CLJ/ref ... 13A55WVHBF

I got the yellow one which is now sold out :). I made no modification, just slapped this on and installed it into the Ps5. Formatted and the moved contents from USB over to the new nvme ssd.
I got both this heatsink and the Samsung 980 PRO SSD from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $236 total. So saved an extra $20 lol
teksavvy sucks
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2010
567 posts
480 upvotes
Ontario
Can anyone recommend a good pcie adapter to install this on older pc?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
5079 posts
1480 upvotes
testmann wrote: Can anyone recommend a good pcie adapter to install this on older pc?
The PCI-e adapters are pretty simple adapters, pretty much any model available should work.
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2007
599 posts
344 upvotes
Markham
Jep4444 wrote: It's also DRAM-less. There is little to no reason to look at the 980 at $149 when there exist similar or even better drives that are cheaper.
Which drives would be better than 980? For cheaper? From what I read the performance is close to the 970 evo plus. But cheaper
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2010
567 posts
480 upvotes
Ontario
SLee wrote: The PCI-e adapters are pretty simple adapters, pretty much any model available should work.
Thanks. I thought many of them are unable to deliver the actual speed of m.2? There are only few good ones that don't limit the speed of m.2. I could be wrong.

Can these draw the same speed?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184985408710

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144085099464

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265216394757
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12111 posts
14613 upvotes
Toronto
wongster wrote: Which drives would be better than 980? For cheaper? From what I read the performance is close to the 970 evo plus. But cheaper
I buy Samsung SSD's but would will not buy the 980 1TB since it is overpriced currently

I would recommend WD Blue SN550 or WD_Black SN750
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2984 posts
1947 upvotes
testmann wrote: Thanks. I thought many of them are unable to deliver the actual speed of m.2? There are only few good ones that don't limit the speed of m.2. I could be wrong.

Can these draw the same speed?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184985408710

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144085099464

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265216394757
You may not want to be doing that as there is no heatsink involved and the Gen4 drives typical need a heatsink regardless of whether you are using them in Gen 3 or 4. Wouldn't want you buying both and discovering the SSD is too hot.
__________________________
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
5079 posts
1480 upvotes
testmann wrote: Thanks. I thought many of them are unable to deliver the actual speed of m.2? There are only few good ones that don't limit the speed of m.2. I could be wrong.
The limit would more likely be from the PCI-e slot itself. I would expect that an older PC would only support PCI-e 3.0, so that would limit the maximum read and write speeds to 3-4 GB/s. Any PC that supported PCI-e 4.0 would have an m.2 slot built-in and allow you the full 7 GB/s of the 980 Pro.
The second and third ones should give you the maximum possible speed on an older PC that only supports PCI-e 3.0.
Last edited by SLee on Aug 7th, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2007
599 posts
344 upvotes
Markham
Dhanushan wrote: I buy Samsung SSD's but would will not buy the 980 1TB since it is overpriced currently

I would recommend WD Blue SN550 or WD_Black SN750
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/W ... vsm1311638

But from this comparison it looks like the Samsung 980 is better than the WD Blue SN550. From Amazon.ca the Samsung 980 is only $15 more at the sale price. Couldn’t find pricing for the wd black sn750 on amazon.
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2010
567 posts
480 upvotes
Ontario
flamenko wrote: You may not want to be doing that as there is no heatsink involved and the Gen4 drives typical need a heatsink regardless of whether you are using them in Gen 3 or 4. Wouldn't want you buying both and discovering the SSD is too hot.
SLee wrote: The limit would more likely be from the PCI-e slot itself. I would expect that an older PC would only support PCI-e 3.0, so that would limit the maximum read and write speeds to 3-4 GB/s. Any PC that supported PCI-e 4.0 would have an m.2 slot built-in and allow you the full 7 GB/s of the 980 Pro.
The second and third ones should give you the maximum possible speed on an older PC that only supports PCI-e 3.0.
Thanks you guys for your advice. Much appreciate it. This seems to be a good fit based on your information.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FN3YZ8P/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36DOQ8QSJXCYP
Sr. Member
Aug 12, 2010
790 posts
436 upvotes
Iluvdeals2018 wrote: I owned the WD SN750 and now the Samsung 980 pro and don't notice the difference 99% of time except when doing large file transfers which is quite rare anyway. The SN750 looks like the better deal to me.
For pc you likely won't notice difference although the pro uses 3d nand. If you want to use an nvme for your Ps5 then you need the gen4 aka the Pro 980 or SN850
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12111 posts
14613 upvotes
Toronto
wongster wrote: https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/W ... vsm1311638

But from this comparison it looks like the Samsung 980 is better than the WD Blue SN550. From Amazon.ca the Samsung 980 is only $15 more at the sale price. Couldn’t find pricing for the wd black sn750 on amazon.
Are you going to be transferring large files regularly?

"sequential speeds aren't a very good reflection of the kind of speeds you'll get day to day, as sequential tests act like an SSD reads and write everything in nice straight lines. In reality, they're reading and writing bits all over the shop, making random tests a much more accurate gauge of what you'll see in everyday use."

This is why the SN550 continues to be such a great value SSD, as its everyday performance can go pretty much toe to toe with its more expensive competition.
from https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/samsung-980-ssd-review

"Compared to its most important competitor, the year-old WD Blue SN550, the Samsung SSD 980 clearly hits better highs but also has more serious pitfalls. Both drives are DRAMless SSDs optimized for workloads that don't handle too much data at once. When a workload strays outside those limits, the WD Blue SN550 is the clear winner that holds up better under heavier workloads. Which of the two drives is preferable will largely come down to pricing."
from https://www.anandtech.com/show/16504/th ... b-review/6
Destiny is all
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2007
599 posts
344 upvotes
Markham
Dhanushan wrote: Are you going to be transferring large files regularly?

"sequential speeds aren't a very good reflection of the kind of speeds you'll get day to day, as sequential tests act like an SSD reads and write everything in nice straight lines. In reality, they're reading and writing bits all over the shop, making random tests a much more accurate gauge of what you'll see in everyday use."

This is why the SN550 continues to be such a great value SSD, as its everyday performance can go pretty much toe to toe with its more expensive competition.
from https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/samsung-980-ssd-review

"Compared to its most important competitor, the year-old WD Blue SN550, the Samsung SSD 980 clearly hits better highs but also has more serious pitfalls. Both drives are DRAMless SSDs optimized for workloads that don't handle too much data at once. When a workload strays outside those limits, the WD Blue SN550 is the clear winner that holds up better under heavier workloads. Which of the two drives is preferable will largely come down to pricing."
from https://www.anandtech.com/show/16504/th ... b-review/6
From this review the Samsung 980 seems to be a pretty good nvme dram less to me. Especially if you look at the 1tb test section on last page.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sa ... d-review/3
Jr. Member
Jan 12, 2015
137 posts
51 upvotes
Saint-Epiphane, QC
I don't have a hole for the NVMe but as I saw that it was a good deal I bought one :twisted:

Top