Newegg

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD $220

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 2:51 pm
Apr 1, 2008
877 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
FYI, bought this drive for the Dell Inspiron 15" deal posted on RFD for the last few months. It is not compatible, I consistently dealt with freezing with a BSOD shortly thereafter. No driver combinations I tried resolved it, and I went through enabling/disabling a ton of power settings on PCI express to try and resolve it. No newer firmware available for the drive, and Samsung support could not resolve and advised on return.

Replaced it with a 1TB WD Black NVME, and been perfect since.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
7815 posts
1206 upvotes
Richmond Hill
weaser999 wrote: Kinda makes me wonder if it's better to leave the metal cover on or off that goes over the nvme on the ps5. I have a usb fan that automatically blows into my ps5 as soon as the console powers on, it almost seems to me like having that metal cover over the m.2 drive would prevent airflow. Any thoughts on this?
Sony designed the cover to be on I believe due to the negative airflow of the cooling system. The hot air inside the SSD expansion space should be sucked out like a vacuum. If the cover is off, might not be as efficient.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210814-110541.png
  • Screenshot_20210814-110642.png
May 9, 2020
165 posts
531 upvotes
Are there supposed to be new PCIE 4 SSDs coming out with better controllers? Or are they going to start making PCIE 5 SSDs?
Feb 4, 2019
541 posts
812 upvotes
flamenko wrote: Sabrent Heatsink at Amazon will do ya. $33 in black. Much more in silver/gold...
Isn't that heatsink too big?

Too big to fit the PS5 enclosure anyway.

Looking at the dimensions, the PS5 allows a depth of 0.442 inches, while the Sabrent heatsink is 0.9 inches.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2587 posts
1346 upvotes
weaser999 wrote: Kinda makes me wonder if it's better to leave the metal cover on or off that goes over the nvme on the ps5. I have a usb fan that automatically blows into my ps5 as soon as the console powers on, it almost seems to me like having that metal cover over the m.2 drive would prevent airflow. Any thoughts on this?
I haven't got a PS5 BUT ALL the SSDs that will work in that system have the same heat concerns. I might think (although I may be wrong) that there is a heatsink incorporatedor that the system doesn't push the drive as we do typically in media. Regardless, that is also ERXACTLY why the SSD may contain a metal cover...or heatsink.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

1. UPDATED 8 Nov - SSDs/Portable/CPU/ For Sale - As New
  2. UPDATED 8 Nov - CFexpress Type A/B w/ Readers