Hot Deals

[Newegg] Samsung EVO Solid State Drives (SSD) various sizes SATA III 2.5" $50/$75/$145 + Free shipping **All Time Low**

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5298 posts
8317 upvotes
Montreal

[Newegg] Samsung EVO Solid State Drives (SSD) various sizes SATA III 2.5" $50/$75/$145 + Free shipping **All Time Low**

5-year warranty

Some of the prices of those SSD are at an all time low (excluding Staples coupons).

250 GB at Staples $50

1 TB at Newegg.ca $145 ** Hot! **

The new Samsung 870 EVO 250 GB is $50 at Staples.

Also at Canada Computers.

Screenshot (692).png
Last edited by Temporel on Feb 27th, 2021 9:21 am, edited 14 times in total.
213 replies
Member
User avatar
Sep 4, 2011
329 posts
44 upvotes
BURNABY
870 evo is coming out with similar price, wait unless you need it now.
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2016
900 posts
650 upvotes
SAkuma wrote: 870 evo is coming out with similar price, wait unless you need it now.
That is incorrect. The EVO 870 pricing has been released: $40 for 250, $70 for 500, $130 for 1TB, $250 for 2TB. These are in freedom dollars, so it translates to $51, $90, $165, $318 beaver bucks, and that is before we get slapped with the extra cost just for being in Canada.

It is up to you to decide if the 870 is worth the ~20% premium over the 860. That said @SAkuma is right that you should wait if you don't need it now, as it might cause current 860 prices to fall a little, but that is a complete unknown. $75 for 500GB seems to be the lowest this drive ever goes (picked one up in 2019 for that much with Staples coupons). It is a good drive, and I ended up getting a second 1TB version for $115 as well since I needed more storage.
Sr. Member
Feb 25, 2015
895 posts
1106 upvotes
NB
1TB 970 Evo Plus NVME is $199 right now
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 12, 2018
95 posts
176 upvotes
Winnipeg
Newbie with this stuff. If I want to use it as an external SSD, is it worth getting this + an eclosure (at roughly $20 from Amazon from what I saw) or does it make more sense to go for an external ssd?
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
967 posts
1001 upvotes
Bought one in last boxing week for the same price and installed in a 8 years old PC, the PC performance improved drastically; definitely a good upgrade for older PCs. To make the upgrade easier, you can get an app from Samsung website to migrate the hard disk with OS installed to the new SSD painlessly.
Newbie
Oct 4, 2018
40 posts
31 upvotes
Paid mine $79.99 - $10.00
from Staples 2019 Dec
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5298 posts
8317 upvotes
Montreal
carbide wrote: 1TB 970 Evo Plus NVME is $199 right now
... and cabbage is $2.99 this week at Loblaws.
What's your point?
This is s thread a bout a SATA III SSD.
For people who's computer only support SATA drives.

EDIT: Thanks for all the upvotes but 50 is more than enough. Lol! This post, although witty I'll admit, really doesn't deserve more.
Last edited by Temporel on Feb 20th, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Mar 19, 2008
97 posts
33 upvotes
Keny wrote: Bought one in last boxing week for the same price and installed in a 8 years old PC, the PC performance improved drastically; definitely a good upgrade for older PCs. To make the upgrade easier, you can get an app from Samsung website to migrate the hard disk with OS installed to the new SSD painlessly.
This. Revived a couple of 10 year old Dell Stuido XPS laptops with SSDs and its night and day. They perform like a brand new machine (they both have i7 CPUs help). Like the Samsung Magician software too for managing the drive. Saved a ton of money not having to buy new laptops for kids to school from home.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 4, 2008
6592 posts
6257 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I haven't really been keeping track, but have we dipped down to $100 1TB drives yet? Recently got a new gpu, and realized that games these days are pretty damn big
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5298 posts
8317 upvotes
Montreal
aeba7 wrote: I haven't really been keeping track, but have we dipped down to $100 1TB drives yet? Recently got a new gpu, and realized that games these days are pretty damn big
I don't think so. Maybe $125.
Check the Camels for a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, Crucial MX500 or WD Blue.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5298 posts
8317 upvotes
Montreal
One of the best rated SATA SSD on the market, at an All Time Low price and some downvote the thread because "Not a good price".

Yes, there were Staples coupons in the past but this is NOW!
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2016
900 posts
650 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: I haven't really been keeping track, but have we dipped down to $100 1TB drives yet? Recently got a new gpu, and realized that games these days are pretty damn big
I snagged an EVO 860 one with for $115, so we are getting close, but that was with coupons and other addons. The lowest posted price I found was $130 on Newegg's eBay store for the 1TB EVO 860.
Member
Jun 17, 2018
220 posts
445 upvotes
robertoerc wrote: Newbie with this stuff. If I want to use it as an external SSD, is it worth getting this + an eclosure (at roughly $20 from Amazon from what I saw) or does it make more sense to go for an external ssd?
I would rather get a SSD and an enclosure. Putting them together is easy and it gives a whole lot of flexibility and options. SATA enclosures can be had for very little. For example:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.p ... 02&sort=3a
https://www.amazon.ca/MEDIASONIC-PROBOX ... B072M676XD

Also, the WD Blue is $5 cheaper currently and probably just as good for an external SSD:

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-NAND-500GB-S ... B073SBZ8YH
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 12, 2018
95 posts
176 upvotes
Winnipeg
FunnyGamer wrote: I would rather get a SSD and an enclosure. Putting them together is easy and it gives a whole lot of flexibility and options. SATA enclosures can be had for very little. For example:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.p ... 02&sort=3a
https://www.amazon.ca/MEDIASONIC-PROBOX ... B072M676XD

Also, the WD Blue is $5 cheaper currently and probably just as good for an external SSD:

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-NAND-500GB-S ... B073SBZ8YH
Thank you good sir
Jr. Member
Sep 21, 2019
132 posts
253 upvotes
Dammit Best buy only matches the price and no longer beats it Unamused Face
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 8, 2003
9736 posts
1910 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ahammad wrote: That is incorrect. The EVO 870 pricing has been released: $40 for 250, $70 for 500, $130 for 1TB, $250 for 2TB. These are in freedom dollars, so it translates to $51, $90, $165, $318 beaver bucks, and that is before we get slapped with the extra cost just for being in Canada.

It is up to you to decide if the 870 is worth the ~20% premium over the 860. That said @SAkuma is right that you should wait if you don't need it now, as it might cause current 860 prices to fall a little, but that is a complete unknown. $75 for 500GB seems to be the lowest this drive ever goes (picked one up in 2019 for that much with Staples coupons). It is a good drive, and I ended up getting a second 1TB version for $115 as well since I needed more storage.
You're comparing list price of 870 to street price of 860, we will have to wait and see the sale price of new 870

$75 was all around BF and BX last year, need it go lower just because 870 is out
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 2, 2017
925 posts
1819 upvotes
Keny wrote: Bought one in last boxing week for the same price and installed in a 8 years old PC, the PC performance improved drastically; definitely a good upgrade for older PCs. To make the upgrade easier, you can get an app from Samsung website to migrate the hard disk with OS installed to the new SSD painlessly.
syngh80 wrote: This. Revived a couple of 10 year old Dell Stuido XPS laptops with SSDs and its night and day. They perform like a brand new machine (they both have i7 CPUs help). Like the Samsung Magician software too for managing the drive. Saved a ton of money not having to buy new laptops for kids to school from home.
this is a good price for a quality ssd, but technically speaking, your 10 year old laptops would perform 10x faster dramatically EVEN with ANY cheap ssd upgraded from an hdd.
I'm just saying this because this evo brand has nothing to do with the improvement in speed (perhaps slightly better than a cheaper brand, but not as much as from an hdd).
Member
User avatar
Jun 24, 2016
486 posts
489 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: I haven't really been keeping track, but have we dipped down to $100 1TB drives yet? Recently got a new gpu, and realized that games these days are pretty damn big
Yes. There was a no-name SSD (Torosus 1TB) that went for $87 with no tax a few months ago, and more recently had another sale for $100 on Amazon.ca.

It's fine for a scratch/game drive (obviously don't run your OS on it). Many of them had DRAM (but once you loaded anything on it, it misreported as an SM2258XT).

People tend to be really squeamish about these drives just because you can't rely on their warranty and they sound dicey. I still have a KingDian and a KingSpec drive from a few years back that's still going strong as a scratch disk for photo editing. They're just cheap SSDs assembled from lower-quality NAND (the type you get in flash drives and SD cards) and whatever SSD controller is in oversupply (SM2258 with DRAM was in oversupply for the longest time).

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 11 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 6 guests)

DuDe1411, hammy1899, Fast1fly, davidphotog, tomkang2000