Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

SanDisk 64GB High Endurance microSDXC $19.99 (+ Shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 11:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
210 posts
348 upvotes

[Newegg] SanDisk 64GB High Endurance microSDXC $19.99 (+ Shipping)

Was looking for a MicroSD card to use with my dash cam when I came across this deal on Newegg.
It's the new 2019 version that is theoretically faster, with C10, U3, V30 rating and advertised R: 100MB/s, W: 40MB/s.
Rated for 5,000 hours of recording and has a two year warranty (the old version was rated for 10,000 hours, though).

Pricing seems to be in line with the sales from a few months ago. In stock in Canada so the shipping cost is $7.99 (instead of $19.99 if shipped from US).
More expensive than with third-party sellers on Amazon, but likely safer?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1297 posts
1024 upvotes
5000 is pretty low? That's ~200 days of non-stop recording. So if you use in a home security cam that's constantly writing, it could crap out in about a year.
Jun 8, 2010
258 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Looking at the specs and disclaimer, I think 5000 is the max number of hours of 1080p recording before the card becomes full, not when it fails.
Actual hours of video saved less. Up to 20,000 hours for 256GB; 10,000 hours for 128GB; 5,000 hours for 64GB; and 2,500 hours for 32GB. Full HD video only; total hours less for 4K UHD video.
Happy customer of Fido and Tangerine 😃
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55995 posts
20905 upvotes
I have two of these for our dash cams. For one, I cheapened out and used a 64 GB lying around.
May 13, 2007
488 posts
278 upvotes
British Columbia
Awesome - $83.67 to ship a memory card to
Northern B.C.

What is wrong with NewEgg these days?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1958 posts
2441 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If it helps, Electron City (third party seller) on Amazon is safe. I verified the SanDisk High Endurance 32GB card for my Wyze with HWTEST and SanDisk Company as well. They might be a cheaper option.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Jun 8, 2010
258 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
soupmaster666 wrote: As you can see here, in order to write to a 64GB card continuously and have it fill up after 5000 hours, you need to write 3.5 kB/s:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=% ... seconds%29

1080p video averages 8000 kB/s, give or take a couple thousand.

So your calculations are off by a full 3 orders of magnitude.
I think the specified rating is the number of video hours (after compression) that can fit on the card. That is, 64GB can store approximately 5000 hours of compressed 1080p video.
Happy customer of Fido and Tangerine 😃
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8040 posts
8212 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: As you can see here, in order to write to a 64GB card continuously and have it fill up after 5000 hours, you need to write 3.5 kB/s:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=% ... seconds%29

1080p video averages 8000 kB/s, give or take a couple thousand.

So your calculations are off by a full 3 orders of magnitude.
While I agree with you on the dubiousness of the 5000 hour figure, your math isn't correct either.

I don't think I've EVER seen a 1080p camera save at 8000kB/s. Even 8000kbps is pretty high.

Typical 1080p bitrates I've seen average between 1Mbps and 2Mbps. Taking the higher number:

2Mbps = 250kBps
64GB = 67,108,684kB/250kBps = 268,435s/3600s/h = 74 hours

So, nowhere near the 5000 hours spoken of here.

I'm leaning on the 5000 hours being an actual endurance rating, which if true, is REALLY horrible (basically useless) for a high endurance card.
Jun 18, 2008
469 posts
222 upvotes
Calgary
Considering how "high endurance" cards are to be used, manufacturers are hiding behind these "formulas" so you can't simply directly compare models between different manufacturers. If they wanted that, they would simply state how many times each cell can be rewritten, in addition to what kind of flash is used.

SanDisk High Endurance cards come with 2 year warranty, which is pitiful. Their new Max Endurance lineup carries 15 year warranty. Samsung High Endurance cards are warranted for 5 years. And price of each reflects that fact.
Apr 13, 2004
951 posts
561 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: If it helps, Electron City (third party seller) on Amazon is safe. I verified the SanDisk High Endurance 32GB card for my Wyze with HWTEST and SanDisk Company as well. They might be a cheaper option.
I second this. Bought a 256GB SanDisk High Endurance MicroSD from Electron City via Amazon for a very reasonable price. Ran it through the recommended visual and read/write tests for counterfeits and it passed all of them.
Last edited by Spongeboy on Jul 14th, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16622 posts
32236 upvotes
Scarborough
Spongeboy wrote: I second this. Bought a 256GB SanDisk High Endurance MicroSD from them via Amazon for a very reasonable price. Ran it through the recommended visual and read/write tests for counterfeits and it passed all of them.
I bought the 128gb version from them this week. Passed the tests and has been working good so far. I originally wanted the Samsung PRO Endurance but it was almost double the price.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Apr 13, 2004
951 posts
561 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I bought the 128gb version from them this week. Passed the tests and has been working good so far. I originally wanted the Samsung PRO Endurance but it was almost double the price.
For clarity, TomRFD and I are talking about a 3rd party Amazon reseller, Electron City, that another member recommended.
We are not endorsing this Newegg deal. I've updated my original post to include the name.

Initial mention by @Bigboy16 here:
newegg-sandisk-64gb-high-endurance-micr ... #p32823402
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1022 posts
504 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Liked the price for the 128gb from Electron City so ordered.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Will be going in another one of my Wyze cams.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14572 upvotes
I dunno about this Electron City but I purchased a 128GB off BuyCanadaBuy on eBay (who also sells on Amazon) who shipped from BC. They "guarantee authenticity" and I received it and everything looked kosher about the packaging and after some initial testing with both CDM (for speed) and chkflash for size/integrity it has checked out. Now I don't have my dash cam because I think BlackBoxMyCar will ship that on like November 29th, the way they are going :rolleyes: but yeah...

These are the new High Endurance from SanDisk which are much faster than their old High Endurance line. These still are not sold by any well-known B&M retailers it seems--CC, Staples, Best Lie, Walmart--none of them stock this. So kind of nice to see NewEgg proper, has them stocked albeit no 128GB. Amazon doesn't sell it out side of third party sellers either. TBH I'd beware of anything fulfilled by Amazon here too because of commingling you risk getting a fake as even if the seller had genuine ones all it takes is one other seller to be selling fakes to screw you; the same goes even if it were "Shipped & Sold by Amazon".

Going back to the speed, the sequential speeds on my 128GB are around 95MB/s read and 85MB/s write. These are Extreme speeds so I almost wanna say this is yet another version of Extreme (along with Switch) that simply has a shorter warranty? The previous High Endurance were actually much slower and probably a different NAND but these seem to line up pretty well with the Extreme speeds. Something tells me SanDisk might just be playing the rebrand game here again... Against the 128GB bench I posted about two years ago of my Switchtreme card, the speeds of this are nearly identical. I do have an Extreme Plus as well but it's a 64GB and not directly comparable, but from what I recall the Extreme Plus is also nearly identical to a Switch or Extreme same-size card with only the Extreme Pro (which I think are UHS-II these days) are substantially faster.

Kinda think I should have used the same Switchtreme card I have already (that same 128GB from Prime Day 2018 I have still not used lol!). But whatever it was basically the same as the 128GB Switch or Extreme go for these days at $36 and there's at least some peace of mind that it's at least supposed to be "high endurance", right? :lol:
753951 wrote: Considering how "high endurance" cards are to be used, manufacturers are hiding behind these "formulas" so you can't simply directly compare models between different manufacturers. If they wanted that, they would simply state how many times each cell can be rewritten, in addition to what kind of flash is used.

SanDisk High Endurance cards come with 2 year warranty, which is pitiful. Their new Max Endurance lineup carries 15 year warranty. Samsung High Endurance cards are warranted for 5 years. And price of each reflects that fact.
Yep, I'm pretty sure the new High Endurance is just an Extreme with shorter warranty with the same TLC or whatever NAND they are using in those cards. I'm betting the Max Endurance is using MLC or at least higher-rated TLC NAND. Transcend has an interesting situation with their 350V and older C10V Endurance-rated cards. The C10V maxes out at 64GB but specifically says it uses MLC; the 350V is newer and uses 3D TLC but is actually higher-rated in endurance. Both however have the same 2yr warranty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)