• Feb 26th, 2022 4:01 pm
Tags:
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1977 posts
1020 upvotes
Vancouver
I will be honestly every store is going to have the odd issue with refund and exchange. This to me seems is like a one off. I bought stuff from Newegg recently. Some RAM it was DoA file for a refund got the shipping and label and within a week or be senting it in. The refund went through just fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1301 posts
1540 upvotes
COQUITLAM
sponge5307 wrote: I will be honestly every store is going to have the odd issue with refund and exchange. This to me seems is like a one off. I bought stuff from Newegg recently. Some RAM it was DoA file for a refund got the shipping and label and within a week or be senting it in. The refund went through just fine.
I don't think they have a policy of outright scamming since a whistleblower would have alerted us long ago if it was official internal policy. It's likely just gross incompetence / RMA department not giving a crap.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13838 posts
5542 upvotes
Ontario
Its not a 1 off which is why he has looked deeper into it. There have been many posts online regarding similar issues with this sort of thing from newegg.No idea if it happens with newegg.ca or just in the USA but still something that should not be happening as much as it seems.
sponge5307 wrote: I will be honestly every store is going to have the odd issue with refund and exchange. This to me seems is like a one off. I bought stuff from Newegg recently. Some RAM it was DoA file for a refund got the shipping and label and within a week or be senting it in. The refund went through just fine.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3658 posts
1995 upvotes
Boy you guys are naive if you think this is a one off or innocent mistake. This was gross incompetence on multiple levels. If they even bothered to open it they would have seen the RMA sticker.
If it was an honest mistake then why would they fight so hard to assume it's the customer's fault? There are hundreds of stories like this. It might not be official policy but I guarantee they are
disincentivised to return customer's money as much as possible. Just like how Bestbuy will try their hardest to look for every excuse to deny you a pricematch.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29035 upvotes
Toronto
Confronting Newegg Face-to-Face

We flew out to Newegg's HQ to meet with the company about its egregious customer service shortcomings and to give the company a chance to fix itself -- or dig the hole deeper.

This interview is UNCUT for full transparency. You can make your own decision on how you feel about Newegg's response (and stick around for our thoughts at the end).

TIMESTAMPS

00:00 - Approaching Newegg
02:50 - Transparency & No-Cut Interview
04:40 - Giving Newegg a Genuine Chance
06:42 - Interview Introduction
08:45 - Addressing the Motherboard in the Room
13:30 - Why Would Anyone Buy from Newegg?
17:17 - Policies Aren't Enacted
21:38 - Internal Operating Procedures
26:03 - Pressure on Lower Employees
28:54 - Individual or Organization Issue
36:24 - Steve's Suggestions (Email Inbox)
45:00 - The Process is the Problem
48:35 - What Will Newegg Do?
54:58 - Steve Speaking Frankly
01:01:35 - Recap: How It Went
01:04:31 - Recap: What Newegg is Worried About
01:06:00 - Recap: Decision-Making Issues
01:09:15 - Some Bad Behaviors
01:11:49 - Final Words
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1977 posts
1020 upvotes
Vancouver
shutterbug wrote: Boy you guys are naive if you think this is a one off or innocent mistake. This was gross incompetence on multiple levels. If they even bothered to open it they would have seen the RMA sticker.
If it was an honest mistake then why would they fight so hard to assume it's the customer's fault? There are hundreds of stories like this. It might not be official policy but I guarantee they are
disincentivised to return customer's money as much as possible. Just like how Bestbuy will try their hardest to look for every excuse to deny you a pricematch.
why they fight so hard? Well for once they are making a killing with their youtube channels and this video and also their base viewers/sub who is supporting their channel, their income like to see stuff like this.

You have point out hundred of people of having issue with refunds and exchange and I can easily point out there are hundreds if not thousands of people having no issue with their refunds. See where this is going? I base it on my own experience and I myself have no issue with refund with Newegg , Bestbuy etc etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
Whats with the downvotes? Newegg employees?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12785 posts
12970 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: why they fight so hard? Well for once they are making a killing with their youtube channels and this video and also their base viewers/sub who is supporting their channel, their income like to see stuff like this.
Youtube lives for drama.

But

There is some mishandling somewhere within NewEgg. A bit of smack side of the head is probably warranted.

Yeah, this biz sux. A bunch of people thinks they know their shit and doesn't which breaks a lot of stuff. Margin isn't high to start with and worse with shipping added on top.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3658 posts
1995 upvotes
Yes mistakes happen but the issue is how they handle it after. Using every excuse beyond reason to deny a refund is beyond incompetent. It's deliberately out to screw the customer.
I can excuse the they're busy and a broken product got put back on the shelf and sent out. But how do you claim bent pins without opening the box and seeing the RMA sticker??
They wouldn't/couldn't supply photos proving their point. That proves this is a standard "routine" for them. Just like BestBuy denying pricematches because it's on sale??? Duh when else would a price be lower?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6937 upvotes
next, to tackle ASUS which has a habit of purposely denying mobo RMA due to false claims of physical mobo damage
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
My first ever custom PC, I bought a new, very high end ASUS motherboard off TigerDirect and it had a bent pin on the socket.

TigerDirect denied responsibility, ASUS denied responsibility, so I had no choice but to attempt the fix myself or claim credit card insurance.

Luckily a small tap from my fingernail moved the pin to its correct location, so issue didn't cause me too much headache.

This was like 10 years ago, and it seems this issue is still a thing.

Canadacomputers had the right idea with cpu socket inspections. Newegg needs to start providing socket pictures with the motherboard serial visible.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1816 posts
306 upvotes
Scarborough
These days if I were to buy a motherboard from a physical store I'd go inspect the pins before leaving the premises. It's way too easy for the stores and manufacturers to pass off responsibility, so you might as well take a minute to do your own inspection.

And honestly I don't ever expect online retailers to do their own socket inspections before shipping, at least for mobos that are new and not returned, because the chance of something having bent pins straight from the factory must be incredibly low. It's always used or returned stuff that has issues.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $13/month plan
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39293 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
PerformingAzura wrote: My first ever custom PC, I bought a new, very high end ASUS motherboard off TigerDirect and it had a bent pin on the socket.
TigerDirect denied responsibility, ASUS denied responsibility, so I had no choice but to attempt the fix myself or claim credit card insurance.
Luckily a small tap from my fingernail moved the pin to its correct location, so issue didn't cause me too much headache.
This was like 10 years ago, and it seems this issue is still a thing.
Canadacomputers had the right idea with cpu socket inspections. Newegg needs to start providing socket pictures with the motherboard serial visible.
I don't know why bent pin is such an issue, when I ordered boards before I have never seen it. Does this only happen to refurb product where it was open box?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6570 posts
1739 upvotes
rural ontario
divx wrote: I don't know why bent pin is such an issue, when I ordered boards before I have never seen it. Does this only happen to refurb product where it was open box?
I had a motherboard with a bent pins... from newegg.ca I did the RMA process and it was fast and easy (despite many negative stories about USA newegg)

I was about to ploop the cpu in and I noticed a few pins didn't seem right.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39293 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
rilles wrote: I had a motherboard with a bent pins... from newegg.ca I did the RMA process and it was fast and easy (despite many negative stories about USA newegg)
I was about to ploop the cpu in and I noticed a few pins didn't seem right.
I would be very annoyed if I find out the pins are bent in the first place, major hassle to interrupt my build. How is that even possible?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6570 posts
1739 upvotes
rural ontario
divx wrote: I would be very annoyed if I find out the pins are bent in the first place, major hassle to interrupt my build. How is that even possible?
Not sure. The seller could easily blame the installer with fat fingers - but I guess during the manufacturing process all it takes is an out of spec machine to disrupt those 1700 little pins.
Its protected pretty well otherwise with the cover during shipping until its taken off.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
divx wrote: I don't know why bent pin is such an issue, when I ordered boards before I have never seen it. Does this only happen to refurb product where it was open box?
Could have been damage from the factory, perhaps an employee used the mobo and damaged it, or maybe another customer returned it broken and TD sold it at new.

Could have been alot of possibilities. All I know, is I removed the plastic lid and saw a bent pin on my socket.

Motherboards aren't usually sealed, and even when they do apply stickers, you can easily remove and replace them if you're patient enough.

They need those temper proof stickers.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15194 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Bring back the Slot 1!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)