Kitchener
Price in title please.
PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3060 Ti 8gb, 64gb RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4172 posts
408 upvotes
Be careful on getting enterprise grade drives if sound is a concern.

I got WD Golds in my NAS and it's a lot louder than my old schucked drives even behind an enclosed cabinet you can hear it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7854 posts
8017 upvotes
It's amazing (and really annoying) how the price/GB of HDDs hasn't really changed the past few years. I have a 2 year old 6TB drive that I got for about $140 and the prices are still in exactly the same spot.

Annoying.
Dec 17, 2013
365 posts
609 upvotes
British Columbia
Has Seagate gotten any better recently? I remember we used to call them brickgate cause they'd all fail...
Aug 21, 2013
296 posts
302 upvotes
Kitchener
repatch wrote: It's amazing (and really annoying) how the price/GB of HDDs hasn't really changed the past few years. I have a 2 year old 6TB drive that I got for about $140 and the prices are still in exactly the same spot.

Annoying.
Larger drives means you need less of them, most computers are limited in the number of drives they can handle so while drive cost per gb may not have drop the total solution cost will have if you needed a larger amount of storage. Also there are significant global supply chain shortages so staying the same is actually decent, it may mean that we will see significant drops once the shortages are over
toshis wrote: Has Seagate gotten any better recently? I remember we used to call them brickgate cause they'd all fail...
Drive failure rates are much more related to specific models rather than specific brands. Backblaze releases regular reports on drive failures and they have a sufficiently large sample size that their statistics are actually valid.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7854 posts
8017 upvotes
KevlarCoated wrote: Larger drives means you need less of them, most computers are limited in the number of drives they can handle so while drive cost per gb may not have drop the total solution cost will have if you needed a larger amount of storage.
But that's backwards, to be frank.

$/TB IS the metric, and, historically, the way it worked is the higher in storage you went per drive, the lower the $/TB.

But that hasn't happened. Right now, quick look:

I'm seeing 6TB drives going for about $150. That's $25/TB.

The drive in this thread is 16TB @ $470. That's $29/TB. That's backward.

Someone mentioned they saw an 18TB drive for about $500. That's $27/TB

That's completely ass backwards, and it's not at all limited to these examples.

So ya, 16TB of storage today costs less than it did several years ago using multiple drives, but that's not the point.
KevlarCoated wrote: Also there are significant global supply chain shortages so staying the same is actually decent, it may mean that we will see significant drops once the shortages are over
If you are talking about the pandemic, note I noticed this BEFORE COVID was a thing.

I for one think we are more dealing with lack of competition. SSDs have taken over, very few consumer machines ship with any HDDs, so HDDs have been relegated to secondary storage, purchased by few.
Last edited by repatch on Jan 12th, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 7, 2008
140 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary
Jayhoo wrote: The reviews state they were sent grey market units with no warranty
Sorry I didn't read the reviews, just seen 4.5/5 stars from 1746 reviews. Maybe seller has gotten greedy. Big surprise these days.

Looking for a deal myself for my NAS. Should have bought more of Best Buy's WD Easystore 12TB USB 3.0 @ $249
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3357 posts
3407 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RastaManMax wrote: Be careful on getting enterprise grade drives if sound is a concern.

I got WD Golds in my NAS and it's a lot louder than my old schucked drives even behind an enclosed cabinet you can hear it.
Actually it is usually the opposite way around.
The bearing are typically better quality and they are not as noisy as basic drives. I have 7x 12TB EXOS drives in a DS1817+ and it is perfectly silent (this one is sitting on my desk).

I even have 9x 12TB Ironwolf Pro drives in an RS2418+ and the RS2418+ fans are louder than the drives themselves (which is not too loud considering it is a rackmount unit) :)
And In the past I had 4x WD Gold 6TB drives, in a DS1515+ and they were perfectly silent also.

I go through a lot of drives, and sometimes you do get one bad drive with noisy bearings, but I typically remove them, since I don't trust them (even though they may last for ages).

Keep in mind that unlike some large archival grade basic drives which are 5x00 rpm, enterprise grade SATA drives are typically 7200rpm. So they do need to be securely mounted. If you use cradles in a case which use clips instead of screws, then there will potentially be some unwanted vibrations.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4898 posts
1899 upvotes
Vancouver
The thought of waiting for a full format to be completed on a 16TB drive just leaves me cold.

Are people still doing that or are they simply using the Quick Format option and then relying on the SMART status to avoid failures?