Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W 80+ Gold PSU $139.99, w/rebate $124.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 3:04 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2301 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W 80+ Gold PSU $139.99, w/rebate $124.99

EDIT: The offer has been extended to July 22, 2017.

Props to RFD member Domi for pointing out there's if you order now you get an additional $5 off by using the promotional code 0719CANFE38. So it should come out to $134.99 + HST + $9.99 shipping.

I was looking for a new power supply unit for my new gaming rig, and I came across the Seasonic Focus+ series 850 Watt 80+ Gold Efficiency PSU for $139.99, with a mail-in-rebate (yeah, I know Neutral Face) to get $15.00 back.

HardOCP reviewed recently, and gave it a good recommendation to buy it. Renowned PSU reviewer JonnyGuru reviewed the 750W version, and gave it a very good score of 9.6, and so one would think that the 850W version would be just as good (or even better). Considering the top rated 850W PSU was the EVGA G2 with a 9.9 then you know you can't go wrong with Seasonic. For those who are curious, EVGA contracted out SuperFlower to manufacturer some of their top-ranked & top-rated PSUs, as well as a few made by Seasonic.

They charge tax only on the item, so it was $159.49 ($139.99 + $19.50 tax). $159.49 + $9.99 Purolator shipping = $169.48.

Do the mail-in rebate on or before the deadline of July 17, 2017, and get $15.00 back within 4 weeks (or so). So if you purchase it before the end of tomorrow, and mail in your rebate form post marked no later than August 16, 2017, then you will qualify for the rebate. In the end it comes out $154.48. Not bad for a 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency rated PSU with a 10 year warranty. It says 7 years on Newegg.ca's website, but on Seasonic's website it shows 10 years. I will be contacting Newegg about the discrepancy.

Edit: For some odd reason when I added it to my cart & checked-out, the HST charged was $19.50, but it should've been $18.20. 13% HST on $139.99 is $18.20, but for it to be $19.50 then that would make the unit actually cost $141.14. Oh well.
Last edited by tigerhawk33 on Jul 16th, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8104 upvotes
Nice price and it looks like a quality unit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3661 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
And me I'm only using a 6 years old, 400 Watts PSU 80+ bronze with my GTX 1070 and i5 4590k @ 4.5ghz.

I feel lonely
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
vonblock wrote: And me I'm only using a 6 years old, 400 Watts PSU 80+ bronze with my GTX 1070 and i5 4590k @ 4.5ghz.

I feel lonely
You'd be pushing that 400w close to its limits, therefore dropping its efficiency and introducing voltage ripple into all of your components as a result. Being 6 years old will drop its max load capacity as well. It always strikes me as weird, why folks buy expensive components and then cheap out on the PSU, the heart of your system. To each their own though...

When building always best to figure out your approximate wattage draw and then buy a PSU 1.5x - 2x more powerful. So calculated max draw 400w, get a 650-800w PSU, they are most efficient @ 50-75% load. Extra capacity also gives ya more wiggle room down the road when adding components and/or overclocking.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Psyclist wrote: You'd be pushing that 400w close to its limits, therefore dropping its efficiency and introducing voltage ripple into all of your components as a result. Being 6 years old will drop its max load capacity as well. It always strikes me as weird, why folks buy expensive components and then cheap out on the PSU, the heart of your system. To each their own though...

When building always best to figure out your approximate wattage draw and then buy a PSU 1.5x - 2x more powerful. So calculated max draw 400w, get a 650-800w PSU, they are most efficient @ 50-75% load. Extra capacity also gives ya more wiggle room down the road when adding components and/or overclocking.
He's fine. 1070 has a tdp of only 150W. 4590 is 84W, the rest of the components barely matter in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why everybody has such a skewed view of this.

I have a 450W SFX PSU in my Node 202 running a 250W TDP GPU and an i7 rated to the same TDP as his and everything is perfectly fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
Well the 1070 overclocked will pull 170-180 and the 4790K w/MB will pull 140 overclocked, so were looking at 310-320w, now lets add a few case fans, couple HD's, maybe an AIO cooler to tame the 4790K and where does that put us? 340-360w total power draw.... Taking into account 6 years of degradation on the PSU components, she probably isnt up to the factory ratings anymore unfortunately... So were sitting @ 85-95% of this PSU's ability...

Haha, we all have the choice, but when every hardware site tells you to double your estimated wattage, for efficiency/ future proofing reasons and then backs those recommendations up with measured values throughout the PSU load range and explains the ripple, heat being generated at various loads, along with other things, one learns to overbuy.... But hey, to each their own! You've got space constraints in your Node 202, I dont at all in my 760T...When I build, I prefer to overbuild hence why I have an AX1200i for my 290X's and 4930K in my cooling loop. I got it for a song couple years back ($199 from Memory Express) A good PSU OEM, Seasonic, Superflower, Flextronics etc. Will last you a long time, through multiple builds, why go bare minimum?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3661 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Psyclist wrote: You'd be pushing that 400w close to its limits, therefore dropping its efficiency and introducing voltage ripple into all of your components as a result. Being 6 years old will drop its max load capacity as well. It always strikes me as weird, why folks buy expensive components and then cheap out on the PSU, the heart of your system. To each their own though...

Those are gamer beliefs base on absolutely no proof or real data.

Those are just magic number gamer push and are then quoted by others and others until it form some kind of truth... However it's not, in the end it's just gamers beliefs of what look rationally logic. Think about it like Reddit upvote, it's not because 10k people say it's true that it is.

I never had any component crap on me in 15 years of PC gaming. Those are also just an observation base on my own usage however...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3661 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Psyclist wrote: Well the 1070 overclocked will pull 170-180 and the 4790K w/MB will pull 140 overclocked, so were looking at 310-320w, now lets add a few case fans, couple HD's, maybe an AIO cooler to tame the 4790K and where does that put us? 340-360w total power draw.... Taking into account 6 years of degradation on the PSU components, she probably isnt up to the factory ratings anymore unfortunately... So were sitting @ 85-95% of this PSU's ability...

Haha, we all have the choice, but when every hardware site tells you to double your estimated wattage, for efficiency/ future proofing reasons and then backs those recommendations up with measured values throughout the PSU load range and explains the ripple, heat being generated at various loads, along with other things, one learns to overbuy.... But hey, to each their own! You've got space constraints in your Node 202, I dont at all in my 760T...When I build, I prefer to overbuild hence why I have an AX1200i for my 290X's and 4930K in my cooling loop. I got it for a song couple years back ($199 from Memory Express) A good PSU OEM, Seasonic, Superflower, Flextronics etc. Will last you a long time, through multiple builds, why go bare minimum?
It's an i5 not i7, it drain about 100watts OCed.

The GTX 1070 drain about 170 OCed.

I have two SSD (5 watts total) and two ultra quiet fan (6 watts total)

Never had any BSOD too, so I guess the power is steady. When i buy the GTX 2070,i will change my PSU, not because it's too weak, just because it's getting old.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Those are gamer beliefs base on absolutely no proof or real data.

Those are just magic number gamer push and are then quoted by others and others until it form some kind of truth... However it's not, in the end it's just gamers beliefs of what look rationally logic. Think about it like Reddit upvote, it's not because 10k people say it's true that it is.

I never had any component crap on me in 15 years of PC gaming. Those are also just an observation base on my own usage however...
Sorry not gamer beliefs at all , This is coming from respected and long running computer hardware review sites such as HardOCP, KitGuru, PCPer...and the list goes on and on. You can choose to run whatever youd like, no offence, but ill take my advice from guys that have been reviewing PC hardware for the past 20 years for a living.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
3086 posts
1101 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty good deal considering prices of similar new 80+ gold psus.
Nov 13, 2011
739 posts
323 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is there an expected life for power supplies? How long should you be using one until you replace it in case it has any problems and takes out your system with it?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8104 upvotes
Psyclist wrote: Sorry not gamer beliefs at all , This is coming from respected and long running computer hardware review sites such as HardOCP, KitGuru, PCPer...and the list goes on and on. You can choose to run whatever youd like, no offence, but ill take my advice from guys that have been reviewing PC hardware for the past 20 years for a living.
People who actually know what they are doing rely on their own knowledge and understanding of the hardware rather than relying on reading reviews for absolutely everything.
Sep 25, 2012
129 posts
35 upvotes
Vaughan
darkcloud8282 wrote: Is there an expected life for power supplies? How long should you be using one until you replace it in case it has any problems and takes out your system with it?
there sort of is one in that components can wear out over time and things like the fan can get noisy. most people replace power supplies well before their true lifespan is up for newer features like fully black sleeved cables, full modularity, silent operation modes, increased efficiency or RGBs as of late
Sep 25, 2012
129 posts
35 upvotes
Vaughan
Psyclist wrote: Sorry not gamer beliefs at all , This is coming from respected and long running computer hardware review sites such as HardOCP, KitGuru, PCPer...and the list goes on and on. You can choose to run whatever youd like, no offence, but ill take my advice from guys that have been reviewing PC hardware for the past 20 years for a living.
reviewers dont use any sort of hardware long term
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
What I can tell you is this. I have an EVGA 450W Bronze, not gold, not platinum, and it is running my 6700k, gtx 1070, with 2 ssds, and whatever else in my rig with absolutely no issue whatsoever, even when OC'ed. You can definitely hear the PSU's fan running "slightly" louder when under heavy load though. And under long long long stress, I am sure it won't be good for the PSU, but I have not experienced this
dropping its efficiency and introducing voltage ripple into all of your components as a result
If however, I do get chance to get a higher wattage PSU for cheap, preferably 80+ gold or plat, I will. I prefer to have the PSU fan running as quiet as possible.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2301 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
ashihtaka wrote: Pretty good deal considering prices of similar new 80+ gold psus.
One of the big reasons why I went with the Seasonic Focus Plus 850W is not only because of the good review & rebate, but also what their Director Walter Sun said in a statement to HardOCP in regards to sample units being sent for review. Basically in a nutshell, when a reviewer wants to review something made by Seasonic, the reviewer will get exactly what the consumer will get.

In the review I linked earlier, HardOCP was sent a unit directly from Newegg. What happened was that in the PSU world companies were mud-slinging each other by making accusations of "golden samples" (units that the consumer would never get) to reviewers, so Seasonic sent out a challenge to other PSU makers with Walter saying:

"We want to show the world that retail purchased Seasonic PSUs are good enough to be used for review evaluation, even for sites like HardOCP that set the bar very high when it comes to PSU testing."

I like what Seasonic is doing because now they've thrown down the gauntlet, and want other PSU manufacturers to put their money where their mouth is. Considering their long history of being a PSU manufacturer, as well as making units for other brand names PSU makers, I felt this was a good price. Besides, NCIX was selling this exact same unit for $172.96, and it's on back-order with no rebate.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3661 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
I understand to have room for about 25-30% more power but having twice the amount of power of your total built is just overkill and is not usually recommended. It's especially overkill with a 80+ gold.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: People who actually know what they are doing rely on their own knowledge and understanding of the hardware rather than relying on reading reviews for absolutely everything.
Thats the most flawed piece of logic I've heard all week (but it is only Monday)... How did you get to know these things? Probably by reading reviews and articles to gain knowledge on the topic right. Or do you just go blindly into things and learn by trial and error?

I've been doing this for close to 15 years now, and I still have questions and still read reviews...again to each thier own!
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8104 upvotes
Psyclist wrote: Thats the most flawed piece of logic I've heard all week (but it is only Monday)... How did you get to know these things? Probably by reading reviews and articles to gain knowledge on the topic right. Or do you just go blindly into things and learn by trial and error?

I've been doing this for close to 15 years now, and I still have questions and still read reviews...again to each thier own!
I have never once read a review to tell me how to spec a power supply. For that I have always done the math on a PSU calculator website. Sure I read reviews of PSUs before I buy them, but when it comes to actually choosing the various PC components that you're going to be using together, you should rely on your own knowledge more than anything else.

If @vonblock is using a 400w PSU with that system it's probably because he has upgraded it over time. I agree that it's near its current limit however that doesn't mean he needs to run out tomorrow and buy something bigger. If it's working fine I don't see the big deal, personally.

You can call this flawed logic if you'd like. Others on here clearly agree with me, and disagree with you. So perhaps it is your own logic that is flawed. Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
If reading reviews and articles along with having an open mind to building a PC using the most recent developments in the industry is a flaw, then put a fork in me, I'm done!

Sorry for any derail OP, just trying to lend insight when buying a PSU, good luck folks!