• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 12:17 am
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes

Newegg shoppers beware:

Maybe some of you already know this, but I just wanted to make a PSA:

To everybody who's planning to buy from Newegg, especially if you live in a house, after you place your order, call in to ask them to add the option of requiring a signature, it's gonna cost extra, not sure how much, but it's worth it if it's an expensive order. Otherwise, if the package is lost, regardless if the courier lost it or someone stole it cuz they left it on your front porch, as long as the courier says it was delivered, your claim is denied, and Newegg will not refund you or send you replacements.

I personally will avoid Newegg from now on, and stick to either pick up from Canada Computers or buy from Amazon (at least when Canada Post lost my package, Amazon refunded me without question), but I just wanted to give a heads up to rest of you.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1337 posts
935 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
I ordered a 10700k on Friday, it came today and was left at my doorstep. I wasn't concerned as I knew I'd be home. I think it was $4.25 extra if I wanted a signature.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes
kwk1 wrote: I ordered a 10700k on Friday, it came today and was left at my doorstep. I wasn't concerned as I knew I'd be home. I think it was $4.25 extra if I wanted a signature.
thats it? damn...but the thing is, i didnt know that was an option, at check out, u only get to pick the speed of delivery, theres nothing that said "$4.25 for signature upon delivery"
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1337 posts
935 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: thats it? damn...but the thing is, i didnt know that was an option, at check out, u only get to pick the speed of delivery, theres nothing that said "$4.25 for signature upon delivery"
I did choose express delivery option. Maybe it also has to do with the value of the item as to whether they provide signature as an option, really don't know.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes
kwk1 wrote: I did choose express delivery option. Maybe it also has to do with the value of the item as to whether they provide signature as an option, really don't know.
naw i was on the call, they told me u have to call in after to choose the signature option, but my issue is, how would ppl just magically know that they offer that...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: Maybe some of you already know this, but I just wanted to make a PSA:

To everybody who's planning to buy from Newegg, especially if you live in a house, after you place your order, call in to ask them to add the option of requiring a signature, it's gonna cost extra, not sure how much, but it's worth it if it's an expensive order. Otherwise, if the package is lost, regardless if the courier lost it or someone stole it cuz they left it on your front porch, as long as the courier says it was delivered, your claim is denied, and Newegg will not refund you or send you replacements.

I personally will avoid Newegg from now on, and stick to either pick up from Canada Computers or buy from Amazon (at least when Canada Post lost my package, Amazon refunded me without question), but I just wanted to give a heads up to rest of you.
most shipping companies stop taking signatures when covid started so paying extra for the signature option is just a waste of money
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: most shipping companies stop taking signatures when covid started so paying extra for the signature option is just a waste of money
thats also why i plan to stay away from newegg and its shit policies...this is exactly why amazon is so huge, they value customers more, give us the benefit of the doubt for things that happen once in a while, so we are more comfortable with trusting them with our money, and we'd be more willing to buy more...i mean i know im only one guy, but if this is the policy, they gonna turn away many more potential customers who goes thru the same thing as me, which now a days apparently happens quite often, ppl just go around neighborhoods and jack packages from front doors. and cops dont do shit about it cuz its not worth much
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
I ordered a CPU off Newegg's eBay store a few years ago and they just sent in a bubble mailer and it went missing from my mailbox. Contacted Newegg support, filed a claim, and got a refund through PayPal.

If you paid using a credit card, I believe you can file a chargeback. If there was no signature they can't prove you received it.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Why is this a Newegg problem? How is this different from any other online store that uses couriers?

Once it leaves their warehouse, they have no control over the courier’s behaviour. Even with a signature required, you’ll find drivers that still leave packages at the door

I would blame, UPS, FedEx, Purolator or Canada Post
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
^ Got a package today from Canada Post Expedited parcel, saying signature is required. They didn't even bother to knock or ask for a signature. I didn't even know it was delivered to me until I received an email notification saying my package was delivered. Then I went to go look and it was just sitting there.
Apr 7, 2007
153 posts
42 upvotes
Gee wrote: Why is this a Newegg problem? How is this different from any other online store that uses couriers?

Once it leaves their warehouse, they have no control over the courier’s behaviour. Even with a signature required, you’ll find drivers that still leave packages at the door

My thoughts as well. They say they leave my package in a hidden area, but no, it's at my front door in plain sight for anyone to take.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes
Amourek wrote: I ordered a CPU off Newegg's eBay store a few years ago and they just sent in a bubble mailer and it went missing from my mailbox. Contacted Newegg support, filed a claim, and got a refund through PayPal.

If you paid using a credit card, I believe you can file a chargeback. If there was no signature they can't prove you received it.
wow, im gonna try that! thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes
Gee wrote: Why is this a Newegg problem? How is this different from any other online store that uses couriers?

i do, and i dont, thats their normal protocol, im gonna give them benefit of the doubt that they did deliver it, and someone else came to my front porch and stole it...but regardless, if u read my post, amazon doesnt do this, they refund u regardless whose fault it is
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: i do, and i dont, thats their normal protocol, im gonna give them benefit of the doubt that they did deliver it, and someone else came to my front porch and stole it...but regardless, if u read my post, amazon doesnt do this, they refund u regardless whose fault it is
I read your post. You make it sound like it’s a Newegg problem.

Amazon has the same problem with couriers. They may have better customer service than Newegg. But believe me, if Amazon starts to lose too much money, their policy will change quickly.

Amazon has enough volume to hire their own drivers
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
3401 posts
3742 upvotes
Gee wrote: I read your post. You make it sound like it’s a Newegg problem.

Amazon has the same problem with couriers. They may have better customer service than Newegg. But believe me, if Amazon starts to lose too much money, their policy will change quickly.

Amazon has enough volume to hire their own drivers
its not newegg's problem that my package is lost, its their problem that they wont refund me or send me replacement items, which amazon does. the constant here is couriers losing package, which ups, purolator, canada post, they all do, its by chance, but the variable here is how companies deal with them, in this case, newegg is diff from amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Get a doorbell cam. It won't stop porch pirates or make companies treat you right, but at least you'll be able to see for sure what happened.

I've had a case where the courier said they delivered to my door, but my doorbell cam saw no activity. Turned out they delivered to the wrong address.

I also have video showing the courier dropping a package requiring signature on the doorstep, ringing the bell once, and taking off immediately without waiting for an answer (and this was pre-COVID).

Fortunately no packages stolen from the doorstep, partly because I get phone notification of motion at the front door, and I can see right away wherever I am that the package is stilling on my doorstep.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1337 posts
935 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
I've had Canada Post deliver a parcel requiring signature. The parcel was left at my door, I went online to see the signature and there was one, but it sure wasn't mine. I called to complain and they said they would talk to the delivery person. SMH Have also had things show delivered and went to the wrong house, luckily those people were kind enough to bring it to me. Amazon is good and they are also one huge company. I ordered a robot vac from Amazon in January, returned it a week later as I wasn't happy with it. I followed the return instructions and printed out the shipping label. Went to the post office and the lady tells me I have to pay for shipping. I specifically asked Amazon before the purchase is return shipping free, and they said yes. So I ended up paying for the shipping. I followed the tracking and someone signed for it at Amazon. It took 5 days to get to Amazon warehouse. After 2 more weeks, I sent an email asking the status of my return. They said it was received but it has to be inspected first because it is a $600 item. After 2 more weeks, I email again. They tell me they never received the item. Let me tell you, they eventually paid me back for the return shipping and refunded the item amount. I ended up emailing/calling on phone over 10 times and it took till end of May! That is almost 4 months so I can't say Amazon is always good. I will say that I order a lot from them and have never had and issue till this time with the robot vac. I think one just needs to be sure of the shipping policies and procedures of each company they purchase from so they know what to expect and not get any surprises.
Last edited by kwk1 on Aug 20th, 2020 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: its not newegg's problem that my package is lost, its their problem that they wont refund me or send me replacement items, which amazon does. the constant here is couriers losing package, which ups, purolator, canada post, they all do, its by chance, but the variable here is how companies deal with them, in this case, newegg is diff from amazon.
You think this is any different with Best Buy? The Source?

Your title says Newegg Shoppers Beware
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: Maybe some of you already know this, but I just wanted to make a PSA:

Good tip but this is not true for all cases, case in point me. In April ordered PSU from newegg. Shipped within a week via UPS, for a week on the UPS site it was showing

Your package has been delayed due to events beyond our control. We're adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible.

Out of thin air I received a notice that it was delivered - during the day when everyone was home due to self isolating - Proof of delivery posted on site was 'this notice is proof of delivery'

Opened ticket with Newegg, took several weeks. UPS investigator came - only question was 'did you check down the side' - withheld expletives... mentioned that everyone was obviously wfh at this time and have a view over the front door and a dog that looses it if someone rings the doorbell.

Newegg refunded as PSU was now out of stock.

Weeks later ordered shoes from another online retailer who ships via UPS, again same delayed issue for 2 weeks.. this time package shows up - soaking wet , cardboard disintegrated smells from sitting wet package (it was not raining).

You should make a claim through UPS if newegg was denied I wouldnt let it go
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1472 posts
2777 upvotes
Ontario
kwk1 wrote: I've had Canada Post deliver a parcel requiring signature. The parcel was left at my door, I went online to see the signature and there was one, but it sure wasn't mine. I called to complain and they said they would talk to the delivery person. SMH
Canada Post couriers will ALWAYS take the quick way if presented with one. I ordered nearly a grand worth of hobby stuff a few years back (huge boxes too, something that would catch your eye as a porch pirate) and they dropped them all on my porch, forged my signature, and left. Nobody was going to be home for about 8hrs.

I called to complain because I had waited months for this stuff (special order) and they basically outright accused me of lying and said I must not have remembered signing when it arrived (excuse me? I wasn't even home, let alone in some delirious state where I'd have signed for it all...). Needless to say, I now have an HD security camera on my porch almost exclusively to monitor Canada Post deliveries. Haven't caught anymore forged signatures, but they repeatedly use my front garden as a shortcut to my neighbor's porch, which explains all the garden damage we were seeing too.