Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Skip the 5600X, get the 3600 for $250 (shipped free)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 8:36 pm
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
221 posts
253 upvotes
Calgary

[Newegg] Skip the 5600X, get the 3600 for $250 (shipped free)

For anyone needing a decent AM4 chip to tie them over until Zen 3 becomes widely available and reasonably priced, the Zen 2 Ryzen 3600 is fantastic value compared to the 5600X. Best price of all major Cdn retailers is currently [Edit6] $250 at Newegg with free shipping. Yes it's been cheaper than this before but that was quite a while ago when the market wasn't quite as crazy.

[Edit1: removed inaccurate comment about PCIe 4.0 being unavailable with Zen 2] [Edit2 fixed discount] It's nearly half the price of a Ryzen 5600X which the current best price is $455. For the 82% higher price you're only gaining about 15% in performance. When Zen 3 becomes widely available and reasonably priced, I'll sell this 3600 and get the 5800X or higher, and my wallet will thank me for it.

[Edit3] Some might prefer to pay a little more ($258) at Amazon for it's easy returns. Read more at @redflagdeals thread here.

[Edit4] @mummonth found it on Newegg also for $249.99 (with free shipping) but eligible for 1% Rakuten CB.

Note if you're near a Memory Express, you can PM to their $279.99 price and save another whopping $3. But such small savings might not be worth the risk if the promo or availability elsewhere ends before you get to the store. That's exactly what happened on another item when I waited a day to go to the store. It's better and easier to buy from Newegg and get $2.49 CB instead.

[Edit5] Sale is currently over at CC, but is still on at Newegg. However, CC now has some decent bundles, including one with an Evo 970 500GB for about $300 as mentioned by @Stabilo7. Another bundle with a WD Blue SN550 1TB is about $350. There are a couple of others including a SATA SSD and B550 motherboard.
Last edited by kbear99 on Mar 5th, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
156 replies
May 24, 2013
56 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
This is a perfectly logical post, but the kinds of people that buy their own cpu are probably the same people that are even compromising with the 5600x and are willing to pay more for that 15%. I just got a new computer with a 10700, and the truth is I find it slow and even though it's a marginal bump from a much cheaper 10500, I wouldn't be willing to go that low.
Nov 17, 2019
414 posts
1153 upvotes
thearun wrote: This is a perfectly logical post, but the kinds of people that buy their own cpu are probably the same people that are even compromising with the 5600x and are willing to pay more for that 15%. I just got a new computer with a 10700, and the truth is I find it slow and even though it's a marginal bump from a much cheaper 10500, I wouldn't be willing to go that low.
I can't imagine a 10700 being the problem if you find your system slow.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3390 posts
404 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
thearun wrote: This is a perfectly logical post, but the kinds of people that buy their own cpu are probably the same people that are even compromising with the 5600x and are willing to pay more for that 15%. I just got a new computer with a 10700, and the truth is I find it slow and even though it's a marginal bump from a much cheaper 10500, I wouldn't be willing to go that low.
Just curious about what you use your PC for and what apps you run.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1745 posts
248 upvotes
kbear99 wrote: For anyone needing a decent AM4 chip to tie them over until Zen 3 becomes widely available and reasonably priced, the Zen 2 Ryzen 3600 is fantastic value compared to the 5600X. Best price of all major Cdn retailers is currently $250 at Canada Computers with free shipping. Yes it's been cheaper than this before but that was quite a while ago when the market wasn't quite as crazy.

Unless you really really need PCIe 4.0 (99% of people don't right now), you can save 82% over a Ryzen 5600X at the current best price of $455. For the 82% higher price you're only gaining about 15% in performance. When Zen 3 becomes widely available and reasonably priced, I'll sell this 3600 and get the 5800X or higher, and my wallet will thank me for it.
Ryzen 3xxx also supports PCI-E 4.0, just need B550 / X570 board, same as 5xxxx
Nov 27, 2016
283 posts
283 upvotes
m8x
I find computer upgrades end up being a very expensive game of "whack-a-mole".

I currently run a 4th gen I7 with 16GB's of RAM and I suspect the majority of the time I'm waiting for either internet or the HDD rather than for processor. Task Manager shows I'm not even making the processor break a sweat and I can't imagine how little load I'd put on a 10th gen I9K.

I suppose gamers need gallons processing power are an exception but I suspect most users like me have significant levels of unused processing power which makes the whole "which is better" discussion although interesting, somewhat moot.

:)
Nov 17, 2014
436 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kbear99 wrote: Unless you really really need PCIe 4.0
Can't you get pcie 4.0 with this chip though, assuming you buy a board that supports both it, and has 4.0?
Apr 28, 2017
190 posts
309 upvotes
been using mine for a littler more than a year. Loving every bit of itGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1655 posts
1063 upvotes
Toronto
2600x still works fine and minimum difference between 3600x
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
221 posts
253 upvotes
Calgary
I fault no one for getting a 5600X. It's a great choice for power users out there who aren't so price sensitive.

OTOH, there's people like me who like to think they are power users ... until they open their wallet. I was all hot and bothered about getting the latest and greatest but eventually value won me over. Then again, I haven't upgraded in years (currently using an i7 4700 lol) so almost any upgrade is a major upgrade, and the difference between these two chips would be negligible for someone like me.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4491 posts
6093 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Be careful removing the processor. Don't do it in an upright case. My processor jumped out and I bent several pins. Fixed them, but could have destroyed it
Dec 19, 2006
780 posts
746 upvotes
Vancouver
echotango wrote: I find computer upgrades end up being a very expensive game of "whack-a-mole".

I currently run a 4th gen I7 with 16GB's of RAM and I suspect the majority of the time I'm waiting for either internet or the HDD rather than for processor. Task Manager shows I'm not even making the processor break a sweat and I can't imagine how little load I'd put on a 10th gen I9K.

I suppose gamers need gallons processing power are an exception but I suspect most users like me have significant levels of unused processing power which makes the whole "which is better" discussion although interesting, somewhat moot.

:)
From a purely gaming perspective, if you're being held back by the HDD, I'd suggest getting an SSD. If you're being held back by internet, unless you have terrible latency issues, I don't know what to say because gaming typically involves very little bandwidth used. For the most part, you'll be hampered by either the GPU or CPU. Older high-end CPUs might get similar frame averages to mid-level CPUs from today, but what you'll notice is that they'll suffer much lower 1% frame rate lows. This manifests itself in jarring sudden frame rate stutters as the CPU tries to ramp up to keep up with the sudden demand.
From a productivity perspective, whether you are being held back by the CPU or GPU depends on the workload, but if you're working with tools that need high performance hardware, you'll know which one is slowing you down.
From a browsing the internet, checking emails, watching videos, etc perspective, then yes, you have significant levels of unused power with an i7, but if you picked an i7 for those workloads in mind, I don't know what to say. Most people building their own machines with CPUs like this aren't doing so for these kinds of workloads. You're better off with a low-end APU in these instances.
Dec 19, 2006
780 posts
746 upvotes
Vancouver
kbear99 wrote: I fault no one for getting a 5600X. It's a great choice for power users out there who aren't so price sensitive.

OTOH, there's people like me who like to think they are power users ... until they open their wallet. I was all hot and bothered about getting the latest and greatest but eventually value won me over. Then again, I haven't upgraded in years (currently using an i7 4700 lol) so almost any upgrade is a major upgrade, and the difference between these two chips would be negligible for someone like me.
To be honest though, if you're thinking of getting a Zen 3 eventually, I wouldn't bother picking up a 3600. And if you do pick up a 3600, I wouldn't bother with a Zen 3. The Zen 3 chips just aren't going to drop $250 from CAD launch prices to justify this move if you're worried about costs. Zen 4 is coming out 2022 and there's going to be another massive performance boost along with it, so if you got a 3600 now, you might as well wait for that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6665 posts
1256 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
For most people a 3600 should be good enough anyway. I would even recommend skipping Zen 3 altogether and do a full upgrade to Zen 4 next year when any chip shortages should hopefully be over.

Or even wait for Rocket Lake to be announced before jumping. Hopefully just need to wait a few more weeks.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1813 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
I got tired of waiting and just pulled the trigger on a 3700X today with one of their Gigabyte motherboard combos. I'm very excited!
I went with the Samsung 970 (bye bye SATA!) and 32GB ram. It's gonna be awesome to build this weekend.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
221 posts
253 upvotes
Calgary
AzureD wrote: Ryzen 3xxx also supports PCI-E 4.0, just need B550 / X570 board, same as 5xxxx
samuraizero wrote: Can't you get pcie 4.0 with this chip though, assuming you buy a board that supports both it, and has 4.0?

You are both correct. PCIe 4.0 is available with 3000 chips also. I was getting "gen 3" mixed up with "Zen 3". This makes me even happier, even though I won't notice any difference even with the WD SN850 I'm adding to my build (that is, until DirectStorage comes into play).
Last edited by kbear99 on Feb 26th, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4597 posts
16993 upvotes
TORONTO
Nikhilvoid wrote: Be careful removing the processor. Don't do it in an upright case. My processor jumped out and I bent several pins. Fixed them, but could have destroyed it
Why would anyone remove the processor when the case is upright? I'd always lay the PC down even for menial jobs like inserting fan headers etc.