Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS220+ (Diskless) - $399 (historical low)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 1:01 pm
Dec 16, 2012
703 posts
414 upvotes
Barrie, ON
So I called Canada computers about the DS1019+ to see if they would price match and they said they haven't price matched since April :(

Blah, I know it's not the red flag thing to do, but I guess I'm paying the extra $100 I guess...
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1312 posts
326 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: Yes and no, based on your intention to get only one new drive. If you use SHR, with the intention of adding the new disk to it, then the second disk would become the parity drive and would not give you any extra space until you replace the smaller disk with yet another disk. I set up a DS1019+ this past week and it progressed as follows:

• 2TB temp start disk with SHR volume (2TB storage space*);
  • Add 10TB disk, it becomes the parity disk (2TB used for protection, 8TB unusable, still only 2TB space)
  • Add 8TB disk (8TB used for protection, 2TB unusable, storage expands to 10TB);
  • Add second 10TB disk (10TB used for protection, 0TB unusable,storage expands to 20TB);
  • Deactivate and remove 2TB drive, replace with second 8TB disk (10TB used for protection, 0TB unusable, storage expands to 26TB)

You would want to set up the 2TB as a single-disk basic volume. When you get your new, larger disk, you could set that up as SHR and then move any data on the smaller drive to the new one. Keep in mind that the DS220+ only has two bays. If you intend to set it up with protection, you will not be able to get more storage space with a second new drive.

*The 2 TB drive is actually about 1.8TB usable space after formatting, I've left that out of the table for simplicity.
Thanks for the write up. Really I just want to tinker with it before i get my large HD. I wouldn't even mind starting from scratch again either. I would want to take the smaller HD out after I get the new larger drive, since its an SSD I want to use later. Would the synology OS/settings on be on both drives?

Until I get two larger drives this is just backup for my desktop PC, and the sole location for Plex and media since I don't back that up. I don't horde media, I delete anyways. When I add the second large HD the synology will be the sole location for all files.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1069 posts
862 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
tatung wrote: Thanks for the write up. Really I just want to tinker with it before i get my large HD. I wouldn't even mind starting from scratch again either. I would want to take the smaller HD out after I get the new larger drive, since its an SSD I want to use later. Would the synology OS/settings on be on both drives?

Until I get two larger drives this is just backup for my desktop PC, and the sole location for Plex and media since I don't back that up. I don't horde media, I delete anyways. When I add the second large HD the synology will be the sole location for all files.
Yes, the OS is on all of the drives (as I understand it). If you remove a drive, you might have to reinstall some of the Synology apps, depending on which drive they were installed to. The path I described in my previous post was a bit convoluted because I was migrating two disks from another Synology; I needed to add them in a specific order so that I had enough space to back up each disk before moving them. It's much simpler with empty drives. Overall, I've found the Synology OS to be very easy to work with.
Oct 17, 2002
908 posts
139 upvotes
Oakville
I'm looking to upgrade my 212j. While right now I only use it for storage and the occasional streaming on Kodi, I want to setup plex media server (which my device is no longer supported) to stream to multiple devices (and to let my parents have access to my movie database in their own house using their nvidia shield).

I'm thinking the DS220+ is perfect for this need? I know it's only 2 bays, but realistically I can't see myself ever needing the 4 bay.
Also, I've been eyeing the DS720+, and like the expandability. But mostly, I love the aesthestics of that unit vs. the 220. Is the DS720 overkill for my needs?

Is there another unit you guys would recommend? I'd likt to stay with DSM and Synology.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1069 posts
862 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
KennyX wrote: I know it's only 2 bays, but realistically I can't see myself ever needing the 4 bay.
If you can find a deal on a four-bay Synology, I'd recommend that. I would be inclined to go with a discounted DS418play (if you can find one) or DS420+ over the DS220+. Even if you do not end up filling all four bays, it does give you more flexibility and it also allows you to use data protection (such as SHR) without severely limiting storage capacity. SHR on a two-bay unit means that you're effectively limited to a maximum of 18TB with what's currently available (Seagate Ironwolf Pro 18TB), and for that you would easily pay over $1400 just for the two disks. With a four-bay unit, you could have 16TB+ of storage and SHR data protection by using three 8TB disks at roughly $250 each and still have room to add one more.