Synology 2-Bay NAS DS720+ $529

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 2:31 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes

[Newegg] Synology 2-Bay NAS DS720+ $529

An excellent Nas for the money. About $120 more than the DS220+ for a quad core vs. the dual core and can use M2 drives for caching if you need it.

Although I admit I don't know just how noticeable these upgrades are in reality.

Spec comparison:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/prod ... 220+/DS720+
Last edited by ericgm on Nov 25th, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 replies
[OP]
Nov 1, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes
kunamvahees wrote: I am looking for NAS to backup my files from PC and phone and reading about it.
2 Bay DS220 is available for $240 at amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0855LMP81/?co ... _lig_dp_it

How much performance difference between DS220 vs DS720, time to research.
I'm certainly no expert but for just backing up your files that DS220j should be great. I think the DS220+/720+ are more necessary to do any sort of file hosting/plex servers
[OP]
Nov 1, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes
I've only had personal experience with Synology but the general consensus is that Synology has better/easier to use software, fewer reliability issues, and an easier time dealing with support should you need to. But don't hold me to that
Oct 27, 2011
154 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga
ericgm wrote: I've only had personal experience with Synology but the general consensus is that Synology has better/easier to use software, fewer reliability issues, and an easier time dealing with support should you need to. But don't hold me to that

I think every device mentioned so far here is a synology. I have a synology 2 bay running for maybe 7 years now somewhere in the basement and somehow still working despite having been almost flooded once and sitting in 0.5 inch of water . I was lucky the water didn’t get high enough to flood the hard drives or the motherboard.

But maaan that old synology is sllooow as hell.
It has a ton of features and extensions in it but i avoid using the Web UI because it literally takes it a minute to refresh the screen after each change. I run it very lean - just dlnp, smb and some basic alerts/diagnostics.

I’m guessing more expensive units have more memory and cpu. If you only want to use your network storage as share drive - any unit will do, but you want to run any kind of additional services - have to shell out more money.
Synology has almost like an App Store in the device web UI where you can download security camera software, various music and video streaming services, software development tools, productivity tools and tons of other stuff.
Last edited by abnormal1 on Nov 25th, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 27, 2011
63 posts
47 upvotes
OTTAWA SOUTH
I believe the QNAP units had some serious security issues previously but I think they are sorted out now, mainly software issues.

If you want a synology NAS that you plan on leaving alone and just dumping files on it, the "j" or value series will work just fine. If you do ANYTHING more than that, get one that can take a memory upgrade with an intel processor (normally the "+" series), seriously, you will be much happier. I updated my 6 year old DS414 which housed files just fine to a DS918+ which houses files but now runs my Unifi Network Controller, Jellyfin media server and xTeVe for IPTV...and this is just the tip of the iceberg (serving 4 TVs and various PCs, phones, tablets, etc). I will upgrade the memory before adding much more to the NAS but they are great little boxes that just work with very little effort by the end user.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes
abnormal1 wrote: I think every device mentioned so far here is a synology. I have a synology 2 bay running for maybe 7 years now somewhere in the basement and somehow still working despite having been almost flooded once and sitting in 0.5 inch of water . I was lucky the water didn’t get high enough to flood the hard drives or the motherboard.

But maaan that old synology is sllooow as hell.
It has a ton of features and extensions in it but i avoid using the Web UI because it literally takes it a minute to refresh the screen after each change. I run it very lean - just dlnp, smb and some basic alerts/diagnostics
Sounds like now is the time to upgrade. From what I've heard the newer models give the UI a massive speed boost. And you should be able to just throw your existing drives in and it will keep all RAIDs intact
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1201 posts
295 upvotes
Oakville
It was actually under $500 in their ebay store a few weeks back. Holding off for a good deal on the 420+, but the 720+ is a good fallback
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1848 posts
1531 upvotes
AB
Waiting patiently for sub-$500 DS720+
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1357 posts
319 upvotes
KennyX wrote: It was actually under $500 in their ebay store a few weeks back. Holding off for a good deal on the 420+, but the 720+ is a good fallback
The DS420+ should be 659$ - 130$ = 529$ at newegg.ca starting tomorrow. I might be aiming at this.
-
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1831 posts
1169 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
4 bay DS420+ or 2 bay DS720+... hmmm....
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1357 posts
319 upvotes
diav wrote: 4 bay DS420+ or 2 bay DS720+... hmmm....
Had the same thought. the factors of choice are really:

-The CURRENT need of storage, is 2 drives enough for a while or it's barely covering the current need?

-Processing power, Will I need to run a lot of the addon features like Plex, torrent, emails etc?

-Expandability: Will I shell out the 640$+ for the enclosure? As this price am I better to buy a new complete synology in the future instead of the enclosure?

With all that in mind, I concluded on the 4 bay DS420+ at newegg.
-

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)