Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS920+ (Diskless) $749.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 1:24 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 24, 2020
3 posts
13 upvotes

[Newegg] Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS920+ (Diskless) $749.99

Cheaper than 918+ on amazon and this is the latest.
57 replies
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2018
134 posts
459 upvotes
Q. “Can’t you just use an old pc? Isn’t that cheaper?”
A. “You could. But it isn’t the same. It’s more maintenance, as you can kinda just leave this thing alone, and the power consumption on a pc is likely higher.”

Okay. That’s out the way.

As someone who has a ds918, I do think that these Synology Nas devices are incredible. Mine hasn’t had any issues since I bought it.

I can’t see a huge advantage of the ds920 over the 918, but I also can’t seem to find any good prices on the 918 so stock seems to have gone.

For reference, with some of the cash back deals, the 918 could be had around 600. No idea whether the price of this will drop/be combined with cash back in the future... But I think 750 is reasonable tbh.
Jr. Member
Sep 11, 2007
108 posts
66 upvotes
The $19.99 shipping bothers me. I get it, it ships from the US and includes duties and taxes, but it still annoys me. I'll pay $749 + tax, no shipping. I know that's cheap, but it's part of my heritage and this is RFD
Last edited by GoKartRacer on Jun 25th, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2007
351 posts
50 upvotes
Nanaimo
Fantastic internal performance with the Celeron J CPU and NVME drive ports, severely limited by the gigabit ethernet connectivity. Even my 8yr-old Thecus NAS can saturate a gigabit network with both read and write operations to RAID5. If only they'd added 2.5GbE or 10GbE ports instead of sticking to gigabit, I'd almost regret picking up a 10Gb Ethernet enabled Asustor as4004t last month (somewhat CPU limited, but not severely)...
Currently For Sale: --
Feedback: eBay (82-0-0) | Heatware (14-0-0) | FredMiranda (21-0-0) | POTN (6-0-0)
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 24, 2020
3 posts
13 upvotes
Bundle port-channel the 2x1Gb with a managed switch that supports lacp. This at least would give you 2Gbe.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2006
726 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Upvote because of synology.
Using a DS411j for the past 8 yrs...all issues are with HDDs, none on synology.

Support is phenomenal, i just put in my first help ticket, resolved within 2 days.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1326 posts
388 upvotes
RandomGuy22 wrote: Q. “Can’t you just use an old pc? Isn’t that cheaper?”
A. “You could. But it isn’t the same. It’s more maintenance, as you can kinda just leave this thing alone, and the power consumption on a pc is likely higher.”

Okay. That’s out the way.

As someone who has a ds918, I do think that these Synology Nas devices are incredible. Mine hasn’t had any issues since I bought it.

I can’t see a huge advantage of the ds920 over the 918, but I also can’t seem to find any good prices on the 918 so stock seems to have gone.

For reference, with some of the cash back deals, the 918 could be had around 600. No idea whether the price of this will drop/be combined with cash back in the future... But I think 750 is reasonable tbh.
look like a 500Mhz increase on the CPU. from 1.5GHZ

That's not enough to made a difference in software decoding / encoding

However, the upgrade from HD500 to HD600 looks like provide new HW trans/encoding capabilities for those interesting in a movie server:
Capture.JPG
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2007
351 posts
50 upvotes
Nanaimo
DealHero wrote: Bundle port-channel the 2x1Gb with a managed switch that supports lacp. This at least would give you 2Gbe.
As long as you also have a dual NIC on your PC that supports 802.11ad for the LAG group. Even then, Windows is kind of iffy on when it wants to do parallel load balancing vs. bonding. I fought with this on my old NAS and was never able to get it to work reliably.
Currently For Sale: --
Feedback: eBay (82-0-0) | Heatware (14-0-0) | FredMiranda (21-0-0) | POTN (6-0-0)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1145 posts
885 upvotes
TORONTO
Quick question, can I use this as a photo/video backup, automatically from my iphone? How convenient is it? Is it similar to icloud/google photos?
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2007
351 posts
50 upvotes
Nanaimo
hansdoreen wrote: Quick question, can I use this as a photo/video backup, automatically from my iphone? How convenient is it? Is it similar to icloud/google photos?
Yes, you can use Cloud Sync to connect to your existing cloud storage provider, or access the NAS remotely.
Currently For Sale: --
Feedback: eBay (82-0-0) | Heatware (14-0-0) | FredMiranda (21-0-0) | POTN (6-0-0)
Newbie
Apr 22, 2008
41 posts
28 upvotes
Surrey
It seems the new model DS920+ comes with one soldered 4GB memory, leaving one free memory slot. The DS918+ model comes with two memory slots. Just something to keep in mind.
Newbie
Nov 2, 2011
74 posts
29 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Why not just build one? At $750, you can get a decent quad core Xeon running at least 32gb ram with a ssd cache drive and probably 10TB RAID 10 config

Not sure about the 10gb Ethernet, because most people are either running wifi at home or a cat5e in their walls... to me 110MB transfer is fine...

Top