Hot Deals

[Newegg] Synology DS1520+ NAS $869.99 ($909.99 - $40 with code CEMCEXEY22)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 3:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1302 posts
1135 upvotes
Metro Vancouver

[Newegg] Synology DS1520+ NAS $869.99 ($909.99 - $40 with code CEMCEXEY22)

The DS-1520+ is a five-bay network storage device. Newegg has it on sale for $909.99; add code CEMCEXEY22 to your cart for an additional $40.00 off the price bringing it to $869.99.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
2031 posts
535 upvotes
Springfield
Wasn’t this $700 on Amazon?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1398 posts
319 upvotes
hopsoid wrote: Wasn’t this $700 on Amazon?
Only for a flash I think, most people missed that
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2944 posts
2731 upvotes
Montreal
UnexpectedToken wrote: Wouldn't you want to get a DS1621+ for $180 more?
The OP posted a good deal, so definitely deserves thanks.

But if you can spare the extra cash I would go for the 1621+. It will wind up being more expensive (comes with less RAM I think) but it has advantages:
- extra drive bay
- ECC RAM
- better quality construction
- 10Gb ethernet capable
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2073 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
Not necessarily. DS1621+ can't do Plex transcodes.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2721 posts
2370 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Dave510 wrote: Not necessarily. DS1621+ can't do Plex transcodes.
And 90% of the people using it have no use for transcoding. If I am at home on my media box on my TV, WHY would I want to transcode. Stream as is. I have disabled transcode on my Synology DS1817+ (which I use for Plex) and works like a charm with anything I throw at it. Let the Media box decode the raw stream.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2073 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
chatbox wrote:
This is interesting. If true then yeah the DS1621+ is probably the better long term buy.
Emporium wrote: And 90% of the people using it have no use for transcoding. If I am at home on my media box on my TV, WHY would I want to transcode. Stream as is. I have disabled transcode on my Synology DS1817+ (which I use for Plex) and works like a charm with anything I throw at it. Let the Media box decode the raw stream.
For your usage, sure, but that wasn't what I was replying to. The original question was why ANYONE would opt for a 1520+ over a 1621+, and that's because not everyone in the world has the exact same use case as you? I know I need transcoding because I want to be able to stream on cellular and conserve bandwidth at the same time. Also, I would much rather watch foreign films with subtitles, and other users in my house have their own preferred language for subtitles.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2721 posts
2370 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Dave510 wrote:
For your usage, sure, but that wasn't what I was replying to. The original question was why ANYONE would opt for a 1520+ over a 1621+, and that's because not everyone in the world has the exact same use case as you? I know I need transcoding because I want to be able to stream on cellular and conserve bandwidth at the same time. Also, I would much rather watch foreign films with subtitles, and other users in my house have their own preferred language for subtitles.
OK, I think your situation is very specific. And yes, transcoding is needed if you plant to watch remotely with limited bandwidth. But not many people I know stream their movies from their HOME NAS, using their Cell phone data plans :) And most that would try, would probably do it all wrong and expose their NAS to the outside world by redirecting ports, instead of creating a VPN server at home and using that to get into their local network. So I would advise against it, unless you know what you are doing, or willing to take the risk.

And what do subtitles have to do with transcoding ? Nowadays pretty much every rip includes embedded subtitles of many languages already in the container (mkv or otherwise), or just include the various SRT files which will be read by most media players during playback anyhow.

But yes, as you mentioned, IF you "need" transcoding, the 1520 is a better option. But you don't "need" transcoding to use plex in a local network environment.
Jan 23, 2011
412 posts
294 upvotes
The only reason to get this over the 1621+ is if you have a lot of people that use Plex offsite and you absolutely need to transcode. I bought a 1520 and now I really regret not spending the extra after reading about all the additional features and better build quality.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1398 posts
319 upvotes
Well, or buy DS1821+ for yet another $200 more, but you get 2 more bays instead of just 1 more.
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Apr 12, 2013
612 posts
539 upvotes
BC
Slightly off topic, but have lower end NAS's stopped being produced? Used to be lots of diskless options for $2-300, but now far higher unless you buy an ancient design.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2721 posts
2370 upvotes
Montreal, QC
AndrewBond wrote: Slightly off topic, but have lower end NAS's stopped being produced? Used to be lots of diskless options for $2-300, but now far higher unless you buy an ancient design.
Plenty of budget units out there. Stuff like the Synology DS220j is only just over $200. Or if you don't want to pay the synology premium (which I think is worth it)., there is also units like this Terramaster 2 bay which is $200 and on paper a lot better specs. And they have a 4 bay unit for $350. But don't expect the support and refined software as with the synology. You also have a few low end qnap units in that price range. And there are some Asustor units also in that price range. Let's not forget the true entry level of the WD Cloud devices, where the diskless version will run you just under $190

As networks have evolved in peoples homes, people want more and more out of NAS servers. Once upon a time, they were for strictly storing data. And Just for that, the budget J series from synology are fine for that.
But nowadays we want our units to do more, like running plex servers, surveillance stations to effectively replace NVR units for IP cams, running VMs and docker instances (I even run Pihole in docker, and even Jellyfin media server). Many even run controllers for stuff like UniFi controllers, and/or Tplink Omada controllers. Running transmission for automated torrent downloads and even stuff like couchpatato for automated newgroup downloads of series/movies/etc... Many use it as a VPN server, DHCP server, and even to act as an AD server. Others run SQL Dbs for other software, and the uses are endless.

The more you want to run, the more power you will need, and in some cases (like transcoding) some units have custom processing power for that. And as we all know, for synology, you pay a premium for the R&D and software collection that you have access to, that most of the time, works right out of the box. You are not just paying the "cost" of hardware.

I've been running synology ever since I ditched my old Dlink DNS-343 units, and switched to a synology DS508 over a dozen or so years ago, and do not regret it.

I did try home made solutions with freenas and other distributions and it was fun. Yes you can build more powerful devices, but just don't have time to keep messing with them and updating them. Running 24/7 I just wanted something quiet, and "relatively" energy efficient. Synology was just simple and it has worked.

But, it all depends on what you want ,need and willing to spend.

Hey, for some people, tethering a USB drive onto one of the USB ports of their router, and accessing that as a network drive, is more than enough.
Nov 21, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
I’ve been going back and forth on Synology the last few months.. I have pretty much settled on the DS1821+ for most of the reason listed above.

The only thing holding me back was the lack of a 10GBe port. However, the more I think about it the more I’ve realized I just don’t need it in a home environment and can always add it later if need be.

I’d have also wanted a rack mount option… but too much for too little (if any) benefit in their base configurations.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2721 posts
2370 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Cam101 wrote: I’ve been going back and forth on Synology the last few months.. I have pretty much settled on the DS1821+ for most of the reason listed above.

The only thing holding me back was the lack of a 10GBe port. However, the more I think about it the more I’ve realized I just don’t need it in a home environment and can always add it later if need be.

I’d have also wanted a rack mount option… but too much for too little (if any) benefit in their base configurations.

You can always add an intel x540 dual port 10GbE later (if you ever need it) which can easily be had on ebay for under $100. Just make sure to get it with the low profile bracket included.

I unfortunately have way too many synology desktop NAS units (2x DS1817, 2x DS1517+, 2x DS1618+, and a few DS1515+). So recently I decided to get myself a small RACK and decided to "consolidate" them into a small 12U rack.
Got myself 1x RS3617xs+ as a main unit (with 10x 12TB EXOS drives + 2x 1TB SSD cache), 2x RS2418+ units, and 1 RS818+. Paired them up with some nice UPS units (will probably only keep 1 - I just happened to have the second one), and 2 switches (1x 12 port Netgear 10Gbe XS712T, and one small Cisco 2960CG-8TC). As much as I like the rack mount option, it is a lot more expensive per unit.

Yes, it is overkill for most people. Hopefully over the 2 long weekends coming up at the end of the month, I'll have some time to finish off the build and set them all up and start the migration process.

Sep 27, 2007
380 posts
528 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
everytime I think of switching from a computer to a nas for my plex server I end up saying this is way overpriced for what it is and what it does
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1088 posts
388 upvotes
Abbotsford
Emporium wrote: OK, I think your situation is very specific. And yes, transcoding is needed if you plant to watch remotely with limited bandwidth. But not many people I know stream their movies from their HOME NAS, using their Cell phone data plans :) And most that would try, would probably do it all wrong and expose their NAS to the outside world by redirecting ports, instead of creating a VPN server at home and using that to get into their local network. So I would advise against it, unless you know what you are doing, or willing to take the risk.

And what do subtitles have to do with transcoding ? Nowadays pretty much every rip includes embedded subtitles of many languages already in the container (mkv or otherwise), or just include the various SRT files which will be read by most media players during playback anyhow.

But yes, as you mentioned, IF you "need" transcoding, the 1520 is a better option. But you don't "need" transcoding to use plex in a local network environment.
You are in the minority. Most Plex users, use some sort of transcoding. Users are going to have Plex Server and set it up with remote access enabled and just log into their server and watch content and let the server do its thing and transcode if necessary. People may create a VPN to their home network, but it's highly unlikely that someone is going to create a VPN to their home network, just to watch Plex.

If you don't "need" transcoding you can run your Plex server on a RaspberryPi. It's like you don't even know what Plex is...
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1536 posts
85 upvotes
I recently bought this to replace my home media server. Is this more expensive than a DIY? Yes. But in my case, I need a set it and forget it solution. With a child now, I don't have the time to constantly maintain my stuff like I once did. And I like the small form factor and easy to use interface. I was also able to use all my drives, some of them mixed, and create a SHR setup that some of the enterprise(higher # of bays) solutions don't support. I'm very happy with this setup, I've got Plex, usenet and personal storage going so far. I can host a ton of other cloud based solutions too. Two thumbs up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)