Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Synology DS920+ NAS 550$ ATL

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2021 9:47 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1753 posts
2721 upvotes
Pallet Town
If anyone wants to save a few $s, looks like this is on sale for Prime Day US for $419.99 USD: https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskSta ... DER&sr=8-2

People on Slickdeals have been saying B&H Photo/Video is doing a price match, so you might be able to get free shipping from them as well. Roughly comes out to $50 savings. Not sure about warranty though
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2019
1169 posts
2204 upvotes
Ottawa
Hawk25 wrote: If anyone wants to save a few $s, looks like this is on sale for Prime Day US for $419.99 USD: https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskSta ... DER&sr=8-2

People on Slickdeals have been saying B&H Photo/Video is doing a price match, so you might be able to get free shipping from them as well. Roughly comes out to $50 savings. Not sure about warranty though
How can you tell how much customs a person should pay for such an item?

Edit: Nevermind, it shows the duties and tax upon checkout :) First time ordering from BHP. They did honor Amazon US price when I submitted the price match request. It took like 5 minutes to confirm the PM.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2011
1055 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
aouniat wrote: How can you tell how much customs a person should pay for such an item?

Edit: Nevermind, it shows the duties and tax upon checkout :) First time ordering from BHP. They did honor Amazon US price when I submitted the price match request. It took like 5 minutes to confirm the PM.
with duty&tax i calculated there isn't that much saving huh?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1753 posts
2721 upvotes
Pallet Town
cnbobby wrote: with duty&tax i calculated there isn't that much saving huh?
Difference is about $50. Ironically enough I just decided it was worth to buy from BH, but they just denied my price match request. Oh well, glad for those who got it
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2019
1169 posts
2204 upvotes
Ottawa
Screenshot 2021-06-21 135733.png
cnbobby wrote: with duty&tax i calculated there isn't that much saving huh?
Hawk25 wrote: Difference is about $50. Ironically enough I just decided it was worth to buy from BH, but they just denied my price match request. Oh well, glad for those who got it
AND 2.5% fee for paying in USD.

Actual saving is around 30 CAD (not 50). Still contemplating whether I should pull the trigger :)

I pulled the trigger. I'm selling my Xpenology hardware which I've talked about here: dell-synology-ds418-warm-465-2444326/2/#p34054462

I'd recommend that route to people who aren't willing to spend that much on an official Synology NAS! Very stable for the last few months! Only issue is that you have to do your own homework initially (a lot of research) but once it's running it's more like set and forget. Something to note is that software updates are all based on community support. Nobody know when or if DMS7 will be available through Xpenology.
Oct 20, 2010
654 posts
222 upvotes
between Seagate Ironwolf 4TB at $128 from CC, or WD RED(the CMR model) 4TB at $109 at ME, are they similar performance-wise? would you pick one over the other?
$95 for the SMR version
Sep 14, 2015
145 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bugsbunny01 wrote: between Seagate Ironwolf 4TB at $128 from CC, or WD RED(the CMR model) 4TB at $109 at ME, are they similar performance-wise? would you pick one over the other?
$95 for the SMR version
Don't buy smr drives for a nas.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Have had my eye on this for months now waiting for a good price, and this certainly qualifies.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3039 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
bugsbunny01 wrote: now that i bought mine just last week from Dell at 690...grrr.
Would they adjust pricing?
Call them. Dell customer service is good.
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
55 posts
25 upvotes
This is a great price! If only my WD EX2 would crap out so I could upgrade :rolleyes:
Oct 20, 2010
654 posts
222 upvotes
MrBigNose wrote: Call them. Dell customer service is good.
I did. No luck. Returning the unit. Already bought another from Amazon arriving Thursday
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3039 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
I bought one in Apr. Got it for almost the same price, after 8% Rakuten cash back & some credit from Dell customer service .
This price is straightforward. Hot deal!
May 13, 2009
483 posts
647 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thanks OP. Just bought it (920+) from Newegg. Looks like Amazon is now out of stock at that low price.

I too have a Synology NAS, the DS213j, but I'm out of room and now that my 2 kids are nearly are older, I need the extra bays for growth. It's amazing how well Synology keeps updating their products years after producing them, and they continue to work great. Even time machine on my Macbook M1 worked!
Jan 21, 2016
424 posts
291 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
FrancisBacon wrote: You need 2 drives to have a write cache. Also, make sure to only use NAS rated nvme drives or they'll get murdered in short order (and result in data loss).
Ah, right. I was thinking read cache.
FrancisBacon wrote: The seagate ironwolf 510 series. I got a ~2TB one on sale some weeks ago.

For those who don't know, the issue with non NAS rated nvme drives is that they can wear out within months, and even if they're in read only cache mode they can fail causing data loss (drive fails, causes a NAS reboot, data loss)
Are smaller Ironwolf 510 drives safe? Seems like a larger drive size would mitigate against wear, like say 1 TB opposed to 256 gb.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1753 posts
2721 upvotes
Pallet Town
juniorkid wrote: Thanks OP. Just bought it (920+) from Newegg. Looks like Amazon is now out of stock at that low price.

I too have a Synology NAS, the DS213j, but I'm out of room and now that my 2 kids are nearly are older, I need the extra bays for growth. It's amazing how well Synology keeps updating their products years after producing them, and they continue to work great. Even time machine on my Macbook M1 worked!
Still see it at $559, just have to click all buying options
Jan 21, 2016
424 posts
291 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Gentoo wrote: I'm on the fence about upgrading to this. I've been using a 413J for a while now, and I really like the Synology ecosystem. It's been working okay so far, but I notice big performance issues and the fact it no longer supports the latest software. Logging into the web interface makes it chug and any interaction takes like 30 seconds to complete. I have it set to reboot every night, but once in a while I get into issues accessing the drives on my Mac Mini where it fails to connect until I reboot the thing (which takes 5 minutes in itself).

I'm not sure if it's hardware related but transfer speeds in and out of the NAS is quite slow, usually capped at 1 megabit of transfer speed even when they are LANed together. I recently had to backup a failing drive on my main PC and it took multiple days.
As a recent 413j user I think @raptorz2 is right and this is a sign of drive failure. Do an extended SMART test on your drives to confirm - I recommend scheduling quick and extended tests to be done regularly. My 413j was pushing 40-50 Mb/s without trouble. It was just super slow to access and load apps.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
I was thinking of getting DS220+ more for photo and video storage since Google photos is no longer viable. Can I have "external" users outside the home have their backups stored too?
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
May 28, 2009
280 posts
322 upvotes
If I've got two drives in RAID 1 BTRFS on an OMV NAS I made from an old PC, is it easy to rebuild them as a pair of SHR-1 drives on a Synology unit? I'm hoping I can do it without having to buy another drive or find space for all the data currently on the OMV NAS.
May 13, 2009
483 posts
647 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Hawk25 wrote: Still see it at $559, just have to click all buying options
That is so bizarre. I did click "all buying options" but $559 wasn't there. Now it is!
Nov 16, 2002
144 posts
135 upvotes
Vancouver
Seems like Amazon dropped the price to $549.99 to match Newegg. In stock on July 10, however.
Last edited by Dealio on Jun 21st, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)