• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2021 1:27 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2017
949 posts
1850 upvotes
s'toon

[Newegg] Team Group CX2 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND SSD $106.99

Newegg Team Group CX2 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) T253X6001T0C101
https://www.newegg.ca/team-group-1tb-cx ... 6820331561

good price?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1962 posts
1456 upvotes
Don’t know much about this brand or model, but I usually buy Samsung or WD Black for an OS drive.

For a storage drive to quickly write large files like 50-70GB each, would you recommend this SSD?

Any issues with warranty claim in Canada?

Thanks!
Jun 24, 2016
491 posts
497 upvotes
Thanks OP, this is a pretty good deal. It's a fairly good brand, and a good DRAM-less SSD if you're not a computer enthusiast or just looking for a game drive/PS4 storage/scratch drive.

Review here: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/t ... iew,1.html

Even though it's DRAM-Less, it does pretty well in terms of RND4K: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/t ... ew,13.html - not sure how much of that is attributed to it's "SLC Caching"

There have been times where 1TB DRAM SSDs have gone below $90 CAD (no tax), but those are largely from brands with non-existent warranty and binned/oversupply NAND (KingDian, Torosus, etc.). They get a bad rep but they're the best game drives I've ever had. This is probably one of the best "middle-tier" SSD deals I've seen.

That being said, Evo, MX500 and SN550 have all been falling in price quite rapidly. I think SN550 was just $125/1TB recently, so if it's an OS/primary drive, I'd really recommend going with one of the higher tier drives just for endurance, DRAM, Warranty (except Samsung), etc.
Last edited by Omesuri on Jan 25th, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 8, 2011
505 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up CX3 from ME at boxing day for 95 bucks. Good speed and my macmini is on steroids.
[OP]
May 2, 2017
949 posts
1850 upvotes
s'toon
Omesuri wrote: Pretty good deal. It's a fairly good brand, and a good DRAM-less SSD.

Review here: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/t ... iew,1.html

Even though it's DRAM-Less, it does pretty well in terms of RND4K: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/t ... ew,13.html - not sure how much of that is attributed to it's "SLC Caching"

There have been times where 1TB DRAM SSDs have gone below $90 CAD, but those are largely from brands with non-existent warranty and binned/oversupply NAND (KingDian, Torosus, etc.). They get a bad rep but they're the best game drives I've ever had. This is probably one of the best "middle-tier" SSD deals I've seen.
cool. very recent review. they all look gibberish to me but the graphs do look good for a discounted ssd.
Jun 24, 2016
491 posts
497 upvotes
danascully wrote: Pointless to buy this when MX500 was +$13 like last month

Like WTF is "Team Group" anyways, NO THX
Totally agree MX500 is a better buy and worth the splurge given it's ATL pricing lately.

Team group is a pretty reputable brand though. They produce a ton of consumer enthusiast RAM and they're a publicly traded manufacturer in Taiwan.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1030 posts
1343 upvotes
Vancouver
Omesuri wrote: .

Team group is a pretty reputable brand though. They produce a ton of consumer enthusiast RAM and they're a publicly traded manufacturer in Taiwan.
First time i'm hearing about this brand
Jul 14, 2008
920 posts
1263 upvotes
Montreal

Just because you don't know the brand personally doesn't automatically make it bad.

Do yourself a favor, read/watch some reviews, learn a few things. Not everything has to be Corsair/Samsung to be good.

This brand makes very good memory chips, very good ram (check out the xtreem line of ddr4 ram), and decent prices too.
Oct 20, 2017
171 posts
511 upvotes
Canuckticut

They're Taiwanese and are a well-known brand, reliable as fair as I know. This is a good price but everyone should see the writing on the wall right now, that SSD prices are falling and will continue to drop. Personally I'll be waiting for a sub-100 SSD with DRAM cache.
Jul 13, 2007
177 posts
231 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Not a bad deal... but why the hell any tech company would want to brand a product as "classic" is beyond me!

Face With Tears Of Joy
Jan 21, 2015
98 posts
62 upvotes
YQR
Any decent 2TB SSDs floating around? Does it matter if it's NVME or SATA III, for steam games etc?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1539 posts
1427 upvotes
Yeah I’m from Taiwan and this brand started gaining its reputation in Taiwan around 15 years ago iirc for its good warranty term and better than average quality.

Taiwan makes very good computer products and ic chips, and this is what we’re proud of (and of course bubble tea and salty peppery chicken nuggets)
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: They're Taiwanese and are a well-known brand, reliable as fair as I know. This is a good price but everyone should see the writing on the wall right now, that SSD prices are falling and will continue to drop. Personally I'll be waiting for a sub-100 SSD with DRAM cache.
Dec 28, 2006
976 posts
1089 upvotes
I have 2 SSDs from Team Group installed on 2 laptops couple years ago. So far so good. No complaint at all.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1209 posts
396 upvotes
MARKHAM
Team Group is a really reputable brand in Asia. Primary lower cost because they don't spend much on marketing but equally good in PCB manufacturing and they use a lot of chips from SK Hynix and Samsung.
My old tech start-up business in Asia ordered thousands of Team Group products for various clients, no hi-cups.

When they use the word CLASSIC, it means for SataIII SSD, since modern PCs are primarily supposed to be running NVME.
Dec 8, 2019
128 posts
186 upvotes
Apparently it's a DRAM-less drive. Personally I would go for the $120 MX500 deal - has DRAM and a longer warranty.

Otherwise yeah, Team Group has a decent reputation in other parts of the world, as a lower cost / second tier option.
Apr 13, 2010
206 posts
343 upvotes
microsoldier54 wrote: Any decent 2TB SSDs floating around? Does it matter if it's NVME or SATA III, for steam games etc?
SATA is a bottleneck at 750 MB/s, while decent NVMe drives have throughput measured in gigabytes per second. So it matter, yes, and if your system supports NVMe, you might as well take advantage of it.
Mar 1, 2011
332 posts
644 upvotes
Fraser Valley
While speed separates the performance of SATA and NVMe Gen 3/4 SSD drives, real world use is not so easy to tell. This Linus Tech Tips is illustrative of that. That being said, the cost of NVMe's is coming down so why not opt for an M.2 drive unless that is not available unless you only have a 2.5" bay available. If you go with a 2.5", I'd spend the few extra dollars and go with DRAM.