[Newegg] Tripp Lite Surge Protector Power Strip 12 Outlets $36.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2021 11:32 am
[OP]
Jan 19, 2010
13 posts
35 upvotes

[Newegg] Tripp Lite Surge Protector Power Strip 12 Outlets $36.99

Just bought one to protect our new big screen TV!
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 29th, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
22 replies
Jul 13, 2016
160 posts
273 upvotes
4320J is pretty high but I'd rather the flexibility of two half sized surge protectors instead of one huge one.

Princess Auto product #8853517 is actually a 2000J Philips brand 8 outlet surge protector for $20 but regularly on for $15. I'm not sure why they took the photo down, it used to have one.

I've got 4 of those in my home now serving me well
[OP]
Jan 19, 2010
13 posts
35 upvotes
LOL! I don’t need 12 outlets for one TV.... For the limited number of outlet on the wall, 12 outlets allow me to connect to Apple TV, Network box, old style HiFi, speakers, a karaoke machine and floor lights.... the higher joules mean it will survive more lightning strikes before it becomes useless. My old one get fried and only pass thru power, no more surge protection. This is a good replacement with a decent price. I have to admit the look is boring and yikes, but it is tugged away and will protect my $1500 TV for quite some years.
Feb 22, 2017
278 posts
158 upvotes
TotalDistinction wrote: Your TV uses 12 outlets? Winking Face
At first I thought you're right, no one needs that many.

then I remembered that I have a power strip plugged into a power strip so I started counting
TV, PS3, PS4, PSVR, 360, Switch dock, XBSX, AV receiver, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield, cable box.
The second wall outlet has its own power strip that's more front facing and transient so it contains like fast charge USB-C charger, whenever I need to plug in the VHS ( really should digitize some of those) for my niece and nephew for example or if your craving a weekend with N64 or gamecube etc. and a few other random open ports because sometimes you need one.
but maybe just maybe my entertainment center is a little bit more full than the average thanks to my gaming addiction.

honestly I find the biggest problem with these power strips or most power strips in general is that wall warts and the like often are too wide or long and block neighbouring outlets.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4828 posts
71 upvotes
Local
Do all surge protectors do not cut off the power if it's too much or not working?
How do we know its just passing electricity through with no protection?
The electronics are working and passing through but the surge protector light or protect light is not o
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
I’m thinking this is similar to the Wirecutter’s pick for best surge protector (TLP1208TELTV) with the addition of USB ports?
Dec 27, 2005
707 posts
139 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
HiddenEmailer wrote: At first I thought you're right, no one needs that many.

then I remembered that I have a power strip plugged into a power strip so I started counting
TV, PS3, PS4, PSVR, 360, Switch dock, XBSX, AV receiver, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield, cable box.
The second wall outlet has its own power strip that's more front facing and transient so it contains like fast charge USB-C charger, whenever I need to plug in the VHS ( really should digitize some of those) for my niece and nephew for example or if your craving a weekend with N64 or gamecube etc. and a few other random open ports because sometimes you need one.
but maybe just maybe my entertainment center is a little bit more full than the average thanks to my gaming addiction.

honestly I find the biggest problem with these power strips or most power strips in general is that wall warts and the like often are too wide or long and block neighbouring outlets.
Yeah, I was just poking some fun. I have the same issue and have connected these devices to an actual UPS instead of a surge protector but having a surge protector is better than having absolutely nothing at all protecting your expensive electronics.

I will buy this to mount on the underside of my standing desk for better cable management and also lessen the strain on the length of the cords given that this surge protector has an 8 foot cord.
Dec 27, 2005
707 posts
139 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
Printcrazy wrote: LOL! I don’t need 12 outlets for one TV.... For the limited number of outlet on the wall, 12 outlets allow me to connect to Apple TV, Network box, old style HiFi, speakers, a karaoke machine and floor lights.... the higher joules mean it will survive more lightning strikes before it becomes useless. My old one get fried and only pass thru power, no more surge protection. This is a good replacement with a decent price. I have to admit the look is boring and yikes, but it is tugged away and will protect my $1500 TV for quite some years.
Glad you were able to get a chuckle. I had my flame retardant suit on just in case. I went ahead and bought one. Thanks for the post.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2949 posts
830 upvotes
Vancouver
This unit has protection for telephone and coaxial.

If the phone line is coming out from the fibre ONT (optical network terminal), is there any benefit plugging the phone line into this?
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14347 posts
4053 upvotes
Scarberia
Since covid. Surge protectors have gone up in prices... Used to get 10$ ones on sale
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jun 29, 2009
20 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote: Since covid. Surge protectors have gone up in prices... Used to get 10$ ones on sale
Clearly they're defective, they aren't protecting against price surges!

...I'll let myself out.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20085 posts
4623 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Something must be going on with this brand. I just got an e-mail from camel regarding Tripp Lite price drops on Amazon.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1124 posts
39 upvotes
Can we chain plug these, like plug one like this into another one like this to make it 24 outlets..
Aug 13, 2020
468 posts
1664 upvotes
VanillaPep wrote: Can we chain plug these, like plug one like this into another one like this to make it 24 outlets..
FIRE RISK
Please never, ever, ever plug a powerbar into another .... specially with high power items. Even an extension cord with a powerbar can be a big issue.
Aug 8, 2020
367 posts
129 upvotes
Printcrazy wrote: Just bought one to protect our new big screen TV!
Thanks OP, I couldn't get the deal is was one day only, oh well but will look out to protect our 10 year old lg tv and other electronics.
Someone posted about Costco but I rather rather not go there these days so may just get it online.
Cheers
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14347 posts
4053 upvotes
Scarberia
IslandDeal wrote: FIRE RISK
Please never, ever, ever plug a powerbar into another .... specially with high power items. Even an extension cord with a powerbar can be a big issue.
i've done this for years! no issues no, i liitterly have like 30 devices chained up on outlets in my room!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: i've done this for years! no issues no, i liitterly have like 30 devices chained up on outlets in my room!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2302 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP picked up 2. The higher joule rated ones have gotten pricey..,