• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 6:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1179 posts
1706 upvotes

[Newegg] Ubiquiti ER-X-US EdgeRouter X 5-Port GB Router $59.99 + Shipping

Must add to cart to see the price, but $60 is a good price for this router. To include Wifi must still add one of their access point products, but together gives a good performing wifi/firewall combo. Also add ebates for 1% rebate.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1269 posts
611 upvotes
Great wired router. For wifi, you can use any wireless access point, not just Ubiquiti products (though their APs are supposed to be excellent). I’m using a couple of Apple Airport Extremes as APs.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1693 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton
What’s the typical price for this? Shopbot is showing various prices in the 60’s. Is this really a good deal?
adamm
Nov 26, 2003
526 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
adamm wrote: What’s the typical price for this? Shopbot is showing various prices in the 60’s. Is this really a good deal?
I bought mine from Amazon back in December for $59.99 with free shipping. The price usually hovers between $70-$80, sometimes more. It'd be a good deal if it had free shipping from Newegg, but since it doesn't then it's better to get this at Mike's Computer Shop: https://mikescomputershop.com/product/8308265. $67.98 there with free shipping, but there is a 10% PM opportunity that might work.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2524 posts
695 upvotes
Ottawa
great router indeed.
Just note that it is not very straight forward for average user.
Some settings will require quite intensive research, leave alone setting firewall or NAT rules.

And yes, first thing is to update its firmware to the latest one, there was one that was quite buggy, don't remember the number though
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Nov 6, 2003
130 posts
20 upvotes
Winnipeg
Does this router have only one port that can do POE?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1687 posts
793 upvotes
Montreal
Converbit.ca and fleetnetwork.ca have it for 61-64$, so this is normal price basically
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4747 posts
2102 upvotes
GTA
bryonfriesen wrote: Does this router have only one port that can do POE?
One 24v passive PoE pass through port in, one out

Works well with an AC-Lite or AC-LR
Feb 8, 2011
658 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
Dave98 wrote: One 24v passive PoE pass through port in, one out

Works well with an AC-Lite or AC-LR
Exactly. So i am using PoE to power the router and the AP i have hooked up
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
litterally just bought this last week for 87 $ all in
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1403 posts
1185 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I paid $72 from mikes last week. Whoops. But then again, I needed it last week not this week.

The hardest part was setting the IP on your computer so you can access the router. After that it was smooth sailing.

The POE was easy and once you have a separate AP that you can relocate, you'll never ever go back.

I didn't install the controller as it requires Java. Ended up setting the router up through the browser interface, then setting up the AP through the unifi app. This app doesn't allow the setting of static IPs but the unifi UNMS app does.

The apps and firmwares are constantly updated and the developers actually respond to issues. Refreshing and well worth the price over most consumer products.
Oct 24, 2017
299 posts
632 upvotes
I have this, paired with the Ubiquiti UAC-AP-PRO, and it’s perfect for my 1900 sq ft home.

It’s just as easy to setup as a wireless router you’d buy from Amazon. Google “EdgeRouter - Beginners Guide to EdgeRouter” for step-by-step pictured instructions. If you’re going to plug this directly into your cable modem, use the WLAN2 wizard and you’re off and running.

Configuring it is a bit more involved than a wireless router, but the Ubiquiti forums and subreddit are awesome. I had some trouble with UPnP2 and they helped me right out.

The nice thing about having the ER-X is that you can have the UAC-Pro plugged into it, and if you need extra wireless, you can buy the AP-Lite and plug it into the PoE port. Mount it to the wall and the only cable you need to power the Access Point is Cat5e or 6.

Start to finish I was up and running with the ER-X and AP-Lite (including setting it up using UniFi Controller) in under 15 minutes.

If you’re even a little technically inclined, you won’t have a problem with this.
Dec 3, 2008
448 posts
79 upvotes
Can someone tell me the advantage of this setup vs modem/wifi router combo if I do not need additional coverage?
I'm currently running just the rogers CODA modem.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3607 posts
949 upvotes
vader_slri wrote: Great wired router. For wifi, you can use any wireless access point, not just Ubiquiti products (though their APs are supposed to be excellent). I’m using a couple of Apple Airport Extremes as APs.
Interesting so it should work with TPLINK EAPs?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2169 posts
678 upvotes
Montreal
Been using this router for a few months along with an AP-AC-LR access point.
Super stable and fast. Wifi range is amazing, makes mesh solutions useless. I can even use the wifi outside, a few hundred meters from the house.

I was worried about the setup, but it was really pretty easy. If you have a simple setup (like most people; a modem, router and a few connected devices), they have small wizards built-in that will do the setup automatically.

This is really a step above standard consumer grade routers.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2579 posts
1056 upvotes
Quebec
canada5dollarbill wrote: I have this, paired with the Ubiquiti UAC-AP-PRO, and it’s perfect for my 1900 sq ft home.

It’s just as easy to setup as a wireless router you’d buy from Amazon. Google “EdgeRouter - Beginners Guide to EdgeRouter” for step-by-step pictured instructions. If you’re going to plug this directly into your cable modem, use the WLAN2 wizard and you’re off and running.

Configuring it is a bit more involved than a wireless router, but the Ubiquiti forums and subreddit are awesome. I had some trouble with UPnP2 and they helped me right out.

The nice thing about having the ER-X is that you can have the UAC-Pro plugged into it, and if you need extra wireless, you can buy the AP-Lite and plug it into the PoE port. Mount it to the wall and the only cable you need to power the Access Point is Cat5e or 6.

Start to finish I was up and running with the ER-X and AP-Lite (including setting it up using UniFi Controller) in under 15 minutes.

If you’re even a little technically inclined, you won’t have a problem with this.
Someone has money for his house lol
Feb 22, 2017
396 posts
435 upvotes
Canada
Keep in mind these routers are pretty weak just like consumer routers. This will shovel packets across a basic NAT configuration at the advertised rate, but if you start adding rules and stuff it will impact performance and peg the CPU. These are not magic. You can forget about maintaining gigabit with any kind of QoS.

The difference between an x86 router and ARM/MIPS is huge. These products occupy a weird spot, where you have the advanced configuration options that a more robust router would offer, but with the basic hardware of a consumer. A marketing person would call this "prosumer", but I call it worst of both worlds.

If you really want "super configurable router", buy a used PC for $60 and throw a network card in it. Install pfsense, opnsense, or LEDE. Enjoy way better performance, configuration, no vendor lock in..
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19630 posts
7020 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I used to use pfsense, it's great software, but eventually tired of it for various reasons that were both the distro's fault and not the distros fault. I even built an ITX PC just for it (though I ran it in a VM, which by the way, worked perfectly fine). Found an inexpensive itx motherboard that had two integrated GbE ports in it (I didn't want to use up the one PCIe slot just for a NIC). It was a good set up for a while and one I may one day eventually get back to...

Last year I came across a deal I couldn't say no to on a Zyxel ZyWALL 310 for about $300 and put that in my rack in the basement instead and have been very happy with it. I think the management interface on pfSense at the time was, while not as pretty, more logical while Zyxel's required some... getting used to, but ultimately once I figured out what they were driving at with their design ultimately more powerful. Obviously the ZyWALL uses a lot less electricity for a 24/7 device and I've had no issues with performance at all. It's obviously not something I recommend to someone just tinkering with their home network due to the cost unless you can get a crazy deal on it like I did but Zyxel does make similar lower spec firewalls and I think they're worth looking into.

Once you get away from the typical residental router/access point combos, you realize it's a whole different world when you separate them. Even the best ones are kind of ... slow...
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1269 posts
611 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Interesting so it should work with TPLINK EAPs?
I haven't tried it myself but I don't see why not.