• Sep 27th, 2016 5:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1295 posts
221 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau

[Newegg] Ubiquiti ERLite-3 Edgemax EdgeRouter - $119.99

I've been waiting for it to come down below $120.
Nice wired router for those of us who likes a more hands on approach and control. Winking Face

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l ... outer-lite

edgerouter_lite.jpg
96029_l.jpg
RFD-Anon member #001 - "Hi, my name is Amazing2 and I buy almost everything in the Hot Deals section... Except all that iStuff!"
57 replies
May 22, 2004
667 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal
Great box, tons of features. The OS is a fork of Vyatta Core (if anyone recognizes that) that is developed by Ubiquiti and there is a very active support forum.
Nov 26, 2003
2 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa, Ontario
From experience (I also have one of these boxes), the updates to the UI continue to add features and it is relatively user friendly, but quickly requires knowledge for more advanced features. One of my favourite additions is ad blocking for the whole home network (even ads in free iOS and Android apps) without having to install something on every system. The separately available Ubiquity UniFi WiFi Access Point made a huge difference (I have 42 neighbouring hotspots) and I will never go back to the all in one consumer router crap again. Just as an FYI, the box looks a little different now (new hardware iteration) and old reviews complain about the onboard storage (it's actually a little USB drive) which they appear to have fixed. I would buy again in a heart beat.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1591 posts
254 upvotes
Hamilton
can you add custom firmware? never heard of this company? is it better than the rest of the crap out in the market?
Mar 11, 2002
897 posts
311 upvotes
Rick007 wrote: How does this compare to the ER-X model at $79.99.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 000W-00080

The ER-X has 5 ports, and one of them is a POE port. As far as I know, it offers the same functionality.
The ER-X has issues with maximizing big bandwidth connections (think gig internet, and) due to slightly different hardware design, there are a few other limitations that slip my mind as well. (Happy with my ER-Lite).
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1698 posts
1036 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone know where I can buy a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO for cheap to pair with this router?

Edit:
The cheapest place where I found the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO for sale is Newegg.ca for a 5-pack.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 0013-00037

I need 4 other people in to do a group buy with me. The final price will be $176.40 per Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO
$830 + $10 Shipping + $42 GST Only = $882
$882 / 5 = $176.40 per Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO

Free pickup in the Ottawa/Gatineau area.
If you do not live in the Ottawa/Gatineau area, the estimated shipping cost would be $15 to $20. I can give you an exact quote when the time comes.

If you are interested in the group buy, please PM me directly instead of clogging up

I also created a Group Buy thread if you want to reply in that thread:
newegg-ubiquiti-uap-ac-pro-wireless-acc ... t-2040492/
Last edited by kennyt18 on Sep 14th, 2016 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
4203 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
How does this compare to an x86 pFsense box?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2658 posts
1770 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
So are you guys saying this is a much better router than lets say the TP Link Archer 7 or the Bell Hub 2000 or the other expensive ones? I would buy this in a heart beat if it is.

TIA
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4293 posts
420 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Got one of these to get my feet wet with enterprise-grade networking. Great router. Even after one of the ports died due to some power surge, I was able to reconfigure it to use only the other ports using various guides knline (although it was a bit tedious).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7157 posts
3333 upvotes
Canuckland
You guys are forgetting the wireless AP which 99% of people need here.
Jun 8, 2007
910 posts
266 upvotes
Oshawa
Same question... My RT-N66U is locking up all the time. Been ramping up to test out pFsense and just got in a duel port NIC to throw in an old Dell Workstation. Long term plan was if it works well order up a low power box to use.. For wireless I was looking at the Ubiquiti AP's.. Will use some old routers for now..

This seems like an easier solution though not that I am afraid to toy with pFsense....
HKPolice wrote: How does this compare to an x86 pFsense box?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1295 posts
221 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau
DealCanuck wrote: You guys are forgetting the wireless AP which 99% of people need here.
Hence why this is not for everyone. ;)
my Router is in the basement with the Modem. I use an AP for wireless devices on the main floor. Better coverage than having just one Wireless router in the basement.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a set-up like this.
Last edited by Amazing2 on Sep 14th, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RFD-Anon member #001 - "Hi, my name is Amazing2 and I buy almost everything in the Hot Deals section... Except all that iStuff!"
Dec 22, 2001
878 posts
149 upvotes
I've been waiting for their home router to be released in Canada https://www.amplifi.com/. I believe it still runs EdgeOS, but hides some of the funcationality and just has a prettier UI... plus Wifi w/ 2 extenders.

For anyone looking for an AP, a quick google returned this http://fleetnetwork.ca/products/uap?utm ... Ao3v8P8HAQ.

EDIT: Oops. That AP is only 2.4Ghz. Nevermind
Last edited by boojew on Sep 14th, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5061 posts
2523 upvotes
GTA
HKPolice wrote:How does this compare to an x86 pFsense box?
Bedpan wrote: Same question... My RT-N66U is locking up all the time. Been ramping up to test out pFsense and just got in a duel port NIC to throw in an old Dell Workstation. Long term plan was if it works well order up a low power box to use.. For wireless I was looking at the Ubiquiti AP's.. Will use some old routers for now..

This seems like an easier solution though not that I am afraid to toy with pFsense....
HKPolice wrote: How does this compare to an x86 pFsense box?
I think the Unifi APs are great but the routers are overrated. They work well together software wise but the performance of these units aren't much better than a typical commercial router.

pFsense on some decent hardware will perform better especially if you want to use features like OpenVPN. That said, these are still great products.
Nov 29, 2013
146 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I have mine in the basement as well. It's hooked up to a gigabit switch and I have my server, drobo, raspberry pi and computer hooked up via ethernet. I ran one long ethernet cable to the top floor and put the ubiquiti AC AP and it's working wonders.
Nov 13, 2013
696 posts
592 upvotes
Quebec
kennyt18 wrote: Does anyone know where I can buy a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO for cheap to pair with this router?

Edit:
The cheapest place where I found the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO for sale is Newegg.ca for a 5-pack.

I need 4 other people in to do a group buy with me. The final price will be $176.40 per Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO

If you do not live in the Ottawa/Gatineau area, the estimated shipping cost would be $15 to $20. I can give you an exact quote when the time comes.

If you are interested in the group buy, please PM me directly instead of clogging up

I got my 2 Unifi AP from from converbit.ca cheapest place I found but you have to pay for shipping. The Unifi AC Pro is 179$ (include the POE) + Shipping
Nov 24, 2008
909 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary
JP3ll3ti3r wrote:
kennyt18 wrote: Does anyone know where I can buy a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO for cheap to pair with this router?

Edit:

I got my 2 Unifi AP from from converbit.ca cheapest place I found but you have to pay for shipping. The Unifi AC Pro is 179$ (include the POE) + Shipping
My trick was to wait for an eBay coupon to come along, then buy from the NewEgg store. I got my AC-LITE for $100 taxes-in. Bear in mind, the eBay codes sent out are sometimes USD.