Expired Hot Deals

[NewEgg] Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR Long Range 11b/g/n 300Mbps MIMO - $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2016 8:40 pm
12 replies
Aug 20, 2011
837 posts
953 upvotes
This is FIT AP, it need a controller I believe.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2006
359 posts
86 upvotes
Brampton
BlackXstar wrote:
Jun 19th, 2016 2:29 pm
Thats what I thought but I was reading some of the reviews on Newegg.

" I have about 10 running at a remote site with NO CONTROLLER and they perform flawlessly."

It does need the controller software on a PC or Mac nearby to manage the AP.
Oct 10, 2008
987 posts
104 upvotes
BlackXstar wrote:
Jun 19th, 2016 2:29 pm
You can set it up with the controller software from your PC, and then it'll run as is until you change it.

Cheapest 'always on' controller is getting a RaspberryPi and then just adding the Ubiquiti Repository for Arm, and install it that way. Or if you have a server running in your house ... just install the appropriate packages on to there.
If my post has helped you out, gimme a thumbs up! Buy/Sell/Trade with Confidence!

BST Feedback: 100% Positive on RFD, Heatware, eBay 50-0-0 (closed 2017-08-29), and I also manage a (FULL) AT&T Group Plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23375 posts
8995 upvotes
I'm not entirely sure this is a "deal" since it's N only.
Personally I'd rather pay a few bucks more and get AC.

But if you're in a situation where you need N only (eg public wifi where you don't care about speed) then sure.
But if you're buying one of them for home use? Not so much.

Still... Thanked anyway.
Aug 20, 2011
837 posts
953 upvotes
TheHemming wrote:
Jun 19th, 2016 2:34 pm
You can set it up with the controller software from your PC, and then it'll run as is until you change it.

Cheapest 'always on' controller is getting a RaspberryPi and then just adding the Ubiquiti Repository for Arm, and install it that way. Or if you have a server running in your house ... just install the appropriate packages on to there.
Good to know, thanks.
Oct 10, 2008
987 posts
104 upvotes
Since I couldn't find a very simple approach, here is exactly what I did.

--== Install Guide for UniFi on the RPi3 Debian jessie ==--

To help others out, I own two of the Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-LITE units. I ordered a RPi3 from Canada Robotix, since it comes with Debian Jessie pre-installed (Item#: 1862-CRX).

I'm currently at 60 days of uptime since I originally set it up and left it alone. The RPi3 should be hard wired to your router or switch, where the UniFi APs are hard connected to.

I recently had a party which had around 20 people all using it for JackBox.tv games, and a single AP above would have been just fine.

--== Make sure to change your password for the two default users ==--
1. pi
$> sudo passwd pi
2. root
$> sudo passwd

--== Installing the Unifi Software on the RPi3 Debain Jessie ==--
1. Install the keys for Ubiquiti networks:

$> sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv C0A52C50
$> sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 7F0CEB10

2. Edit the repository lists for the PI and then
$> sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list

3. Add the following lines to the end of it:
# for the UniFi Controller
deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/UniFi/debian stable ubiquiti

4. Exit and write quit

5. Run apt-get to update the package list
sudo apt-get update

6. Install teh UniFi Controller Software
sudo apt-get install UniFi
(this will pull down Mongo DB and other required packages)

--== Testing ==--
Go to the website, and make sure it works. Reboot the RPi3, test again. Just to make sure a clean boot works.

Test loggin in via SSH since that's your primary point of access soon.

Document/save your passwords somewhere.

--== Auto Updating the UniFi Software on the RPi3 Debain Jessie ==--
Create the following bash script in the home directory of your user called 'pi' (Default for this distribution).

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat autoupdate.sh
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get --yes update
sudo apt-get --yes upgrade
sudo apt-get --yes autoremove

Set crontab to run this once a week or every two weeks (or so) to auto update everything. When the UniFi Controller Software updates, it can pull down new firmware for the APs. Updating that firmware is done from the UniFi Controller Web UI.

I do this so I never forget to update it.
If my post has helped you out, gimme a thumbs up! Buy/Sell/Trade with Confidence!

BST Feedback: 100% Positive on RFD, Heatware, eBay 50-0-0 (closed 2017-08-29), and I also manage a (FULL) AT&T Group Plan.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2965 posts
490 upvotes
These aren't very good if you only have one. You need a few to get good performance and corverage. I would not recommend these for home. Uneless you plan on deploying multiples.
Oct 10, 2008
987 posts
104 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2016 3:41 pm
These aren't very good if you only have one. You need a few to get good performance and coverage. I would not recommend these for home. Unless you plan on deploying multiples.
I would disagree. This is the LR model (long-range) ... I have two non-LRs at home and likely one LR would have been fine. Two gives me excellent overlap in a 60 x 120 lot, LR would be a little less but just fine.

Another note, this particular model is not the newest since it does not have AC wifi if that matters to anyone.

Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3653 posts
164 upvotes
Montreal
What does long range even mean? It's not a point to point connection so you're limited by the transmit range of the computers. Is it just Higher output power?
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6904 posts
1137 upvotes
BC
It's an OK price, but with the AC-LITE selling for ~$10 more at Amazon.ca (when you consider shipping), I wouldn't bother with one of these units today. Also, note that the LR won't improve range in many cases; it has the same 3dBi antennas, but a higher (27dB vs 20dB) output, meaning that you may be able to see it further away, but the chances your client will be strong enough to talk back to it aren't any better.
Nov 7, 2003
729 posts
195 upvotes
I have a non-LR version in my condo.... it's awesome considering all of the interference that made every other wireless router I have ever used fail.

I'm going to buy the AC version to upgrade....
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3851 posts
608 upvotes
Windsor
Kwirky wrote:
Jun 19th, 2016 5:04 pm
It's an OK price, but with the AC-LITE selling for ~$10 more at Amazon.ca (when you consider shipping), I wouldn't bother with one of these units today. Also, note that the LR won't improve range in many cases; it has the same 3dBi antennas, but a higher (27dB vs 20dB) output, meaning that you may be able to see it further away, but the chances your client will be strong enough to talk back to it aren't any better.
Thanks, just ordered another... Already have one but the signal drops off a little at the very furthest part of the house.