Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] WARM - 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 500GB $144 3500R/3200W

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 1:32 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 12, 2010
631 posts
178 upvotes

[Newegg] WARM - 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 500GB $144 3500R/3200W

Newest Samsung NVME 1.3 96 layer. Not super HOT but hey it's an EVO. Also found at Memory Express.
Last edited by weaser999 on Aug 11th, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 2, 2011
979 posts
304 upvotes
Edmonton
What's the benefit of getting this over a SATA SSD? I'm building a strictly gaming PC right away. Thanks
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 12, 2010
631 posts
178 upvotes
wetcardboard wrote: What's the benefit of getting this over a SATA SSD? I'm building a strictly gaming PC right away. Thanks
NVME isn't bottlenecked by the SATA controller. Personally I would get this as a boot drive and use a cheaper bigger SATA as the main.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 14, 2010
852 posts
277 upvotes
The Great North
wetcardboard wrote: What's the benefit of getting this over a SATA SSD? I'm building a strictly gaming PC right away. Thanks
NVME is 7 times faster than SATA SSD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 15, 2013
761 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
nivek_k2020 wrote: NVME is 7 times faster than SATA SSD
In theory. You're lucky to see a 5-10% difference in games at best.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4344 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
wetcardboard wrote: What's the benefit of getting this over a SATA SSD? I'm building a strictly gaming PC right away. Thanks
Super duper performance on the NVMe. Sequential reads go from 550 MB/s to 3000 MB/s; random reads go from ~90k IOPS to ~500k IOPS.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13761/th ... ssd-review

The one thing to look out for is that the 500GB doesn't write as fast as the 1TB model (900MB/s vs 1700 MB/s).
-------

Basically - your theoretical benchmarks will be insane. In real world terms, it's faster but not earth shattering. I went from a 500GB SATA SSD to a 1TB EVO plus. Boot times went from like 10 seconds to like 3 seconds. Game launches similarly quicker but not world breaking. It's faster but we're talking diminishing returns. The real improvement is going from a slow HDD to any SSD.
Sr. Member
Dec 19, 2006
650 posts
612 upvotes
Vancouver
NVME also takes up less space so it's a good way to add storage space without adding extra clutter.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 12, 2010
631 posts
178 upvotes
ocisnicola wrote: NVME also takes up less space so it's a good way to add storage space without adding extra clutter.
Yup.. no power cable, no SATA cable. Nice neat look and feeds directly to the CPU.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4847 posts
2767 upvotes
Toronto
ocisnicola wrote: NVME also takes up less space so it's a good way to add storage space without adding extra clutter.
That's a benefit of M.2, not NVMe. You can buy sata drives that work over M.2 as well.
Sr. Member
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
wetcardboard wrote: What's the benefit of getting this over a SATA SSD? I'm building a strictly gaming PC right away. Thanks
i upgraded from a SSD to a NVME drive. it's faster but not by much. don't listen to these guys. Watch bench mark vids on youtube. It's basically the same in real time performance unless you're the type who transfer 100 GB files all day.

For strictly gaming.. it's the same as a normal Sata SSD. It's basically like going from 2400 ddr4 to 3200 DDR4. Just nerds wanting the fastest newest tech. I regret paying for a NMVE drive now that prices have gone down.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4344 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
orianna wrote: i upgraded from a SSD to a NVME drive. it's faster but not by much. don't listen to these guys. Watch bench mark vids on youtube. It's basically the same in real time performance unless you're the type who transfer 100 GB files all day.

For strictly gaming.. it's the same as a normal Sata SSD. It's basically like going from 2400 ddr4 to 3200 DDR4. Just nerds wanting the fastest newest tech. I regret paying for a NMVE drive now that prices have gone down.
The issue of transferring files is always that you're limited by the slowest link in the chain. So, if you're going from say a 4TB storage drive, NVMe or SATA SSD won't matter, the HDD will slow you down.

I would recommend paying some premium for NVMe (say up to 50%) as your boot drive, but after that it's not worth it. And for a secondary storage drive, it's totally not worth it. SATA SSD gets you 90%+ of the way there.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14329 posts
5515 upvotes
Ottawa
yeah, real world differences are not very much.



I would get a NVME drive for a boot/scratch drive and a cheap SATA as a application drive, or even a spinning drive if I had a lot of data to store. I definitely would not pay extra for PRO versions of the drive, it's overkill unless you are moving a LOT of data.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Sr. Member
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
jiffylube1024 wrote: The issue of transferring files is always that you're limited by the slowest link in the chain. So, if you're going from say a 4TB storage drive, NVMe or SATA SSD won't matter, the HDD will slow you down.

I would recommend paying some premium for NVMe (say up to 50%) as your boot drive, but after that it's not worth it. And for a secondary storage drive, it's totally not worth it. SATA SSD gets you 90%+ of the way there.
? I have this same NVME. you don't know what you're talking about. This is my boot drive. I notice maybe a half second or no difference at all. I also have macbook pro touch bar with a NVME. I transfer files with a type C drive.. like i said, unless you're transferring huge files all day, most people won't notice the difference. It's like people talking about PCIe 4.0 is a reason to buy new AMD boards. We are nowhere close to maxing PCIe 3.0 with the best video cards right now. People just want the newest technology

Top