• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2018 5:43 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
349 posts
752 upvotes
Fraser Valley

[Newegg] Warm - Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB OC Low Profile $169.99 - 15% Off

Video card prices are through the roof. If you are looking for a medium performance video card, this might fit the bill. Currently the GTX 1050 2GB cards are going for around $200 and higher and it's rare that you will see any sales. This is a low profile card so provides slightly less performance than the full height 1050 2GB. It may also run slightly hotter but shouldn't be noticeable.

But if you aren't a serious gamer who plays AAA titles, this is a great card at this price. It also has 2 HDMI ports which is useful in HTPC applications or if you are building a small form factor computer.

If you find this post useful, give me an upvote!
Images
  • 14-125-951-Z01.jpg
Last edited by Hank71 on Feb 6th, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Dec 7, 2013
819 posts
739 upvotes
Quebec
It's been this price for weeks
[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
349 posts
752 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Fularu wrote: It's been this price for weeks
Maybe I'm late to the game. Still believe it is a "good" price out there.

There is also a great price for an MSI 1050 2GB Aero ITX for $169.50 after rebate. Cost to ship to Calgary was $25! Might be okay for those in TO who can pickup.
Also, a 2 fan Gigabyte 1050 2GB from Mkies Computers for $178.99 and free shipping to boot.

Some deals out there for those who are looking. Cheers.
Last edited by Hank71 on Feb 6th, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 5, 2010
697 posts
457 upvotes
Ottawa
Hank71 wrote: Video card prices are through the roof. If you are looking for a medium performance video card, this might fit the bill. Currently the GTX 1050 2GB cards are going for around $200 and higher and it's rare that you will see any sales. This is a low profile card so provides slightly less performance than the full height 1050 2GB. It may also run slightly hotter but shouldn't be noticeable.

But if you aren't a serious gamer who plays AAA titles, this is a great card at this price. It also has 2 HDMI ports which is useful in HTPC applications or if you are building a small form factor computer.

If you find this post useful, give me an upvote!
Appreciate the attempt, but at this point in time, a deal would be buying a used mid/high end card around the same price or just waiting out the current drought.
If it was a 1050 ti then sure, but 1050's for $170, even at inflated prices is just not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Man, prices are crazy!

It's hard to believe that an anemic GPU such as a 2GB GTX 1050 for ~$170 is considered a deal.

6 months ago I picked up a Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB from Staples for $175 to use in a secondary PC.

It was OK, but my main interest is VR, and it could barely play anything without reducing everything down to the lowest settings, and even then is was just passable.

Probably would have been fine for modern games running at 1080p @ 30fps/60fps with medium settings on a flat Monitor or TV.

I'm not sure that this particular card could achieve those numbers though, given the lower spec GPU & just having only 2GB's of RAM.

Ended up returning it and just bought a used GTX 1080 for $570, then installed my current GTX 1060 6GB (paid $250 for that almost 2 years ago) in that secondary PC.....a much better solution in the long run.

I still can't believe that those two cards are now selling for close to $1500 combined.

If I wasn't using them for VR I'd sell 'em....but then again....I'd have to re-buy later and I don't want to risk getting any used ex-miner GPU's.

It's a terrible time for gamers & system builders alike.

Better off just buying a pre-built system if you find a good deal, as they don't seem to inflate the prices as much as individual components do.
Nov 14, 2012
789 posts
411 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You sir got my up vote, this is great for low profile PC.
Mar 5, 2010
697 posts
457 upvotes
Ottawa
Woah! wrote: Man, prices are crazy!

It's hard to believe that an anemic GPU such as a 2GB GTX 1050 for ~$170 is considered a deal.

6 months ago I picked up a Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB from Staples for $175 to use in a secondary PC.

It was OK, but my main interest is VR, and it could barely play anything without reducing everything down to the lowest settings, and even then is was just passable.

Probably would have been fine for modern games running at 1080p @ 30fps/60fps with medium settings on a flat Monitor or TV.

I'm not sure that this particular card could achieve those numbers though, given the lower spec GPU & just having only 2GB's of RAM.

Ended up returning it and just bought a used GTX 1080 for $570, then installed my current GTX 1060 6GB (paid $250 for that almost 2 years ago) in that secondary PC.....a much better solution in the long run.

I still can't believe that those two cards are now selling for close to $1500 combined.

If I wasn't using them for VR I'd sell 'em....but then again....I'd have to re-buy later and I don't want to risk getting any used ex-miner GPU's.

It's a terrible time for gamers & system builders alike.

Better off just buying a pre-built system if you find a good deal, as they don't seem to inflate the prices as much as individual components do.
I've been using a gtx 1050 that i got from the source for $125 after taxes and it's been serving my purposes fine. It's all about expectations and usage scenarios.
it's definitely not a 3D card but it'll run a fair amount of games even if you have to lower quality in some areas. It's one of those things where, if i wanted to play the latest and greatest games on my pc, i would've bought a video card last year way earlier in the year since those prices were really good for the performance they give.

it is pretty funny that pre-builts can almost be seen as a deal since prices aren't as inflated but it's cause prebuilts have their own inflation from the builders themselves while they get the parts at msrp or cheaper than msrp to build their systems with. System builders aren't interested in jacking up their prices to the moon, they just want to sell you hardware in 1 lump sum assembled themselves with a mild premium instead of having you buy parts piecemeal and then building it yourself.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2728 posts
539 upvotes
These are good for ITX systems. But Id suggest the other full size 1050s if you are looking to game with this, as these ones heat up more and dont boost as high.

For instance, Id suggest waiting for the Zotac to go 164.99 again, I picked one up 2 weeks ago. Its a mini card, but its bigger than the low profile, thus keeps cooler, and is able to boost higher.

That being said, I picked one of these up less than 150 at the beginning of 2018. So if you hunt BST you can find a good deal. Esp people in the GTA I find there is alot of deals in this area.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1159 posts
336 upvotes
Hamilton
2GB ram wont give you much graphics quality in "AAA" titles...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
804 upvotes
traktion wrote: 2GB ram wont give you much graphics quality in "AAA" titles...
This cards GPU will run out of processing power before VRAM becomes the limiting factor.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
349 posts
752 upvotes
Fraser Valley
tkyoshi wrote: This cards GPU will run out of processing power before VRAM becomes the limiting factor.
If you look at the benchmarks for the 1050 cards, they actually do very well with AAA titles at 1080p. They also do surprisingly well at 1440p on just 2GB of VRAM.
Dec 20, 2015
556 posts
323 upvotes
LONDON
Hank71 wrote: If you look at the benchmarks for the 1050 cards, they actually do very well with AAA titles at 1080p. They also do surprisingly well at 1440p on just 2GB of VRAM.
I bought/returned a 1050.
I bought a 1050 ti and sold it on Kijiji for $50 more than I paid for it.

There is noticeable difference in performance in games like Overwatch, Deus Ex MD.

Would not recommend a 1050, especially at this price.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1660 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
I am ashamed to say I am considering this as an upgrade for my main gaming PC. I have been using an MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1GB card since 2010, and quite literally have not been able to afford to upgrade for almost two years due to insane GPU prices as a result of miners.

How big of a performance gain would I notice moving to this? 1080p gaming for the time being, typically stuff like DOTA2, PUBG, Overwatch and some emulation.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4800 posts
2831 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
jacquesstrap wrote: I am ashamed to say I am considering this as an upgrade for my main gaming PC. I have been using an MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1GB card since 2010, and quite literally have not been able to afford to upgrade for almost two years due to insane GPU prices as a result of miners.

How big of a performance gain would I notice moving to this? 1080p gaming for the time being, typically stuff like DOTA2, PUBG, Overwatch and some emulation.
Huge upgrade for you. I would say at a minimum you will double your FPS.

Make sure your CPU follow, what is it?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1660 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
vonblock wrote: Huge upgrade for you. I would say at a minimum you will double your FPS.

Make sure your CPU follow, what is it?
I've got an FX-8350
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2327 posts
1208 upvotes
Markham
Ytterbium wrote: I bought/returned a 1050.
I bought a 1050 ti and sold it on Kijiji for $50 more than I paid for it.

There is noticeable difference in performance in games like Overwatch, Deus Ex MD.

Would not recommend a 1050, especially at this price.
what did you end up buying.. nothing is cheap out there unfortunately.. i have a 1050ti as well.. thinking of selling
[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
349 posts
752 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Take a look at all the quality reviews. On Tom's (link below), the difference between a 1050 2GB and a 1050 ti 4B is about 10% at 1080p which 90% of computer users are running. There are a lot of opinions here, really, they are all right depending upon the situation. The way I look at it, for $169.99, is it worth spending anywhere from $50 to $100 more to get the extra performance of a 1050 ti 4GB?

The pricing on GPU are insane right now. I would go budget if that meets your needs and upgrade down the road. I would however remain cautious for anyone wanting to buy anything more than a 1060 used as there are many "mining" gpu's on sale. Buyer beware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvi ... ,4787.html
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2344 posts
710 upvotes
New Brunswick
jacquesstrap wrote: I am ashamed to say I am considering this as an upgrade for my main gaming PC. I have been using an MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1GB card since 2010, and quite literally have not been able to afford to upgrade for almost two years due to insane GPU prices as a result of miners.

You can buy a used GfX card that is affordable like if you can find a AMD Radeon HD 7900/ R9 280 series (same cards expect for 285) for around $100- $120 on Kijiji .You can also find used GeForce GTX 960, 770 or 680 for around $100-140. Realize that PUBG as of now is badly optimize.

For example: GTX 960 for $145 https://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-compon ... nFlag=true

or if you can pay an $200 flat for a GTX 970 (better way better than a 1050): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-compon ... nFlag=true
Last edited by raichu1 on Feb 7th, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dec 20, 2015
556 posts
323 upvotes
LONDON
andyyuen wrote: what did you end up buying.. nothing is cheap out there unfortunately.. i have a 1050ti as well.. thinking of selling
I bought a GTX 650 for $20 on Kijiji. It can push 3 displays and play some Wii games, Overwatch, Minecraft, etc.

Honestly, I'm just going to wait for Volta or hope to snag a GTX 1060 6gb for sub $400 (I can dream).

I'm not a huge gamer so I don't think I will go in withdrawal or anything.