• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2019 8:58 pm
Nov 24, 2012
636 posts
404 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
audit13 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 7:46 pm
I prefer Seagate portables because the usb connector is soldered to the WD hard drive's logic board. If the usb port fails on the WD, getting data off the drive is a challenge.
That appears to be more relevant to the 2.5" drives that the OP wrote about. The 3.5" Elements drives discussed above do not have this issue; the USB hardware plugs into the SATA port on the drive and is easily removed with one screw.
Jul 26, 2013
109 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:05 pm
How long is long? Is there something easier to shuck that you would recommend?
As far as I know the 8TB WD Elements Portable is the best bang for the buck of all portables if you plan to remove drive.

As for the WD Lifeguard test... took me a little over a day but with USB externals the speed will vary depending what USB controller you have on your motherboard.

btw - It's not too hard to take out the drive enclosure. All you need is some thing to slide under the plastic (e.g. guitar pick) , pop retaining clips until it comes out. Once you take out the drive it slides out bracket. Then its one screw to remove Sata to USB adapter.

The problem is that it's easy to break and bend the plastic retaining clips when removing drive (which I did). That might play a role if warranty is required. That said, its well worth getting this drive. I bought 5 of these for my NAS. Even if one breaks down the road and for some reason WD doesn't honour the warranty it still would have been worth it. (WD RED 8TB is $300+ drive)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20124 posts
6248 upvotes
needybot wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:02 pm
As far as I know the 8TB WD Elements Portable is the best bang for the buck of all portables if you plan to remove drive.
I haven't kept up with historic pricing, but ME had 8TB Seagates on for $170.
I would have bought a bunch more if it wasn't for the limit of 2.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15398 posts
4660 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:18 am
How many TB of storage do you need?
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2650 posts
857 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:27 am
All the terrabytes! In all seriousness, one RAW file is close to 100 mb after processing the image and 4k recordings can be 2 GB+. Then you add in a few thousand CDs archived in FLAC, archives of your blu-rays and DVDs, PC image back-ups...it adds up.
Jul 27, 2014
217 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I want in on this deal, but before firing the trigger, are there any amazon credit offers that can sweeten the deal ATM? Refill gift card balance, amazon cash, etc?
Jul 26, 2013
109 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:18 am
Which Seagates?
Nov 24, 2012
636 posts
404 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Quentin5 wrote:
Don't you mean, "How many PB of storage do you need"?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20124 posts
6248 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
tvisforme wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:42 pm
Don't you mean, "How many PB of storage do you need"?
Basically.
I'm about half way to a petabyte at this point.

needybot wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:14 pm
Which Seagates?
8TB externals. I don't have a model number on hand.
Jul 26, 2013
109 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I have shucked both Seagate and WD drives. The cheap Seagate 8TB external uses SMR drive. They can't/shouldn't be used for a NAS. The WD Elements external when shucked has an white labelled 8TB Red drive which is specifically designed for NAS.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15398 posts
4660 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:26 am
All the terrabytes! In all seriousness, one RAW file is close to 100 mb after processing the image and 4k recordings can be 2 GB+. Then you add in a few thousand CDs archived in FLAC, archives of your blu-rays and DVDs, PC image back-ups...it adds up.
I have about 4TB in use (plus a 6TB backup) but at some point how much data you have outdoes your ability to manage it.
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 6:07 pm
Basically.
I'm about half way to a petabyte at this point.
How much have you spent on storage and how do you keep control of all of it (and backups)?
Should i ask whats its being used for?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20124 posts
6248 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:19 am
at some point how much data you have outdoes your ability to manage it.
It's easy when it's all on one mount point.
Well 2 because I want to keep some things separated.
How much have you spent on storage and how do you keep control of all of it (and backups)?
I'm not sure I want to know myself....
If I had to wager a guess over my entire lifetime, probably like $20k.
One node of my file server is currently about $4000 and I have 2 of them.
There's a couple other nodes which are half the capacity, but I picked them up for dirt.
The number is high because I've been building file servers since drives were 4GB (yes you read that right) and stupidly expensive.
Should i ask whats its being used for?
Linux ISOs.
I have all of them Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15398 posts
4660 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:28 am
It's easy when it's all on one mount point.
Well 2 because I want to keep some things separated.
I have done something similar though in much smaller form, i have 2 x 2TB in my desktop and one 6TB backup for both.
Though i am more concerned about data integrity at this point, i started a thread on the computer section about it, no solutions that are foolproof yet.
If you have any i am all ears.

I'm not sure I want to know myself....
If I had to wager a guess over my entire lifetime, probably like $20k.
I am impressed and dismayed Smiling Face With Open Mouth
One node of my file server is currently about $4000 and I have 2 of them.
There's a couple other nodes which are half the capacity, but I picked them up for dirt.
What do you mean by node?
The number is high because I've been building file servers since drives were 4GB (yes you read that right) and stupidly expensive.
I remember those days, if only i could have waited and bought drives years later...
Linux ISOs.
I have all of them Face With Tears Of Joy
Why?
Feb 2, 2011
142 posts
27 upvotes
New Westminster
May I kindly ask if my fellow riders have any comments about the wifi enabled 4 tb WD drive... for photo/ video backup while travelling
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20124 posts
6248 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:40 am
Though i am more concerned about data integrity at this point, i started a thread on the computer section about it, no solutions that are foolproof yet.
If you have any i am all ears.
Offsite data notwithstanding (which is easy to set up as a replication target), ZFS.
With a proper setup, it maintains checksums on all your data and actively scrubs it to make sure it's right.
I wouldn't use any other file system at this point.
What do you mean by node?
I'm a big fan of SC846s which is a case that holds 24 drives.
A full case to me is a node.
Currently have 5 of them: 2x4TB, 2x2TB, 1xTB.

I remember those days, if only i could have waited and bought drives years later...
Man... if I could explain to my younger self that I could fit 200gb on the size of a dime?
I'd be like allmywat.jpg
Why?
I mean... I do have a lot of Linux ISOs. It's convenient because I also have a full VM setup. Although I don't use most of them because I have a full PXE stack. Even then I only really use Ubuntu 18.04...
But I also have a lot of "Linux ISOs" *cough*