Hot Deals

[Newegg] WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

[OP]
Aug 10, 2013
36 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

FYI
2TB WD Black Hard drive for $109.00 after promo code 'CAH2DEM55'.

This is a real good price.. I build gaming PCs and this would be a great option.

Happy shopping!
51 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1895 posts
1345 upvotes
Who do you build gaming PCs for that don’t want to run games off an SSD? Games for HDD is just bad advice in 2021, shameful.
Nov 17, 2019
391 posts
1098 upvotes
Is the "black" version anything special that I am missing ?

This is almost twice the normal price for a 2TB hard drive.

An alternative 2TB with same speed (7200) and 4x the cache (256) for 69$.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX76126
Last edited by quantman on Feb 11th, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2013
36 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
black is for gaming.

and i build budget-performance haha whatever client needs at their pricepoint
Sep 3, 2009
714 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
I thought I accidently triggered my time machine when I read this thread
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2968 posts
1132 upvotes
Lethbridge
quantman wrote: Is the "black" version anything special that I am missing ?

This is almost twice the normal price for a 2TB hard drive.
Speed. The blacks are 7200rpm + have faster access times and bigger cache compared to generic drives.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
3013 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Who buys 2 TB mechanical drives in 2021? I literally just threw 2 of these (well, not black drives) in the garbage yesterday.

Get an ssd if you want to game. If you want storage, get a cheap 8TB drive on a sale.
Sep 22, 2018
8 posts
3 upvotes
black should signify more cache, only these are old drives. Their 64 mb cache is much smaller than the 256mb cache on cheaper HDDs these days
Nov 2, 2011
45 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
Do not listen to the OP.

This is an overly expensive mechanical hard drive ($/TB) for lacklustre performance compared to other options available. If you want to play games, use a SSD, plain and simple. It's more expensive ($/TB) but performance even on the SATA interface is around 4x better, minimum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6621 posts
1219 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Black drives can also be quite noisy. Keep that in mind.

Do not recommend using a harddisk as your primary drive. It's an okay option for a 2nd drive as you can use disk caching like PrimoCache or StoreMI for AMD chipsets: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6621 posts
1219 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Temporel wrote: 139 million hard drives shipped in 2020.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd-s ... trendfocus
It's not that simple. As stated by the article, the trend using HDD is still going downwards and they are on their way out. The only growth area is enterprise where speed is not as high a priority as size which is where HDD will excel for the foreseeable future.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14782 posts
6025 upvotes
Ottawa
I used to buy these black HDD back in the day...last time I bought one was 8 years ago!

It don’t use mechanical drives except for NAS. I have 4 desktops and they are running pure ssd storage either sata or nvme. Cant imagine loading games from a hard drive
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 15, 2020
639 posts
1164 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: Who do you build gaming PCs for that don’t want to run games off an SSD? Games for HDD is just bad advice in 2021, shameful.
I play games on both an NVME ssd such as RDR2 and it loads fast but I also have games on my HDD and load times arent that bad. Don't see why you would need an SSD just for games, doesnt make that huge of a difference. However if you need something with fast read and right times then an SSD would be better.
Sep 27, 2008
809 posts
610 upvotes
Temporel wrote: 139 million hard drives shipped in 2020.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd-s ... trendfocus
How many of those were used in a desktop? Probably very few. Hard drives are still great for low performance servers, DVRs, PVRs, etc but I would never put an operating system or applications on an SSD (like the games OP is suggesting his clients install on this HDD).

A decent 1 tb sata ssd is around the same price: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-MX500-NAN ... NrPXRydWU=

I'd rather uninstall/install games as I play them than use a 2 tb HDD.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1895 posts
1345 upvotes
aomous wrote: I play games on both an NVME ssd such as RDR2 and it loads fast but I also have games on my HDD and load times arent that bad. Don't see why you would need an SSD just for games, doesnt make that huge of a difference. However if you need something with fast read and right times then an SSD would be better.
Talk to any owner of a PS5 or Xbox, huge difference when the SSD is NVMe PCIE 4.0.
Nov 15, 2020
639 posts
1164 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: Talk to any owner of a PS5 or Xbox, huge difference when the SSD is NVMe PCIE 4.0.
Yeah but most mobos don't support PCIE4.0