Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] WD BLACK SN750 NVMe 1TB - $189.99 + $4.99 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2020 12:20 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1691 posts
166 upvotes
kwk1 wrote: Trying to decide between this and the Evo Plus. Is the Evo Plus really worth $100+ more?
I've got a 512MB 970 Pro and 500MB Evo Plus. If I had to go to 1TB I would get this one. Unless a good portion of your work requires sustained reads and writes like video editing, ripping etc I would just go with this. I just went with what I was familiar with when I built my system. If you have a PCIe 4 mobo then you might consider some of those drives.
Apr 4, 2018
152 posts
86 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: Looks like the best price at this time on SN750 1TB. I got mine last year at $169, but there is no such price right now. Nice budget storage, much slower than Gen4 (I use Gen4 storage for tasks where performance matters), however it is still a solid storage - similar by performance to all other outdated Gen3 products like EVO 970 Plus, etc.
I bought the XPG 8200 Pro instead for the same price, better performance.

Memoryexpress.com has it on sales for 185$
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
kwk1 wrote: Trying to decide between this and the Evo Plus. Is the Evo Plus really worth $100+ more?
For $100+ more you can get Sabrent Gen4 - one of the fastest drives these days (this is of course if you are not on Intel platform...)
Last edited by VeryTrueColors on Jun 17th, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4807 posts
2726 upvotes
Toronto
TheMau5 wrote: I bought the XPG 8200 Pro instead for the same price, better performance.

Memoryexpress.com has it on sales for 185$
The SX8200 Pro is not a better performing drive. It does perform marginally better in some scenario's, it also performs significantly worse in some scenarios (lengthy write jobs, latency goes through the roof in certain scenarios also). It's a fine drive for consumer related tasks but I'd steer far clear of the SX8200 Pro for heavy write tasks like video editing. The SN750 can handle those way better. The SN750 is just a better drive as a whole though and for $5 more, it's a no brainer IMO.
Apr 4, 2018
152 posts
86 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: The SX8200 Pro is not a better performing drive. It does perform marginally better in some scenario's, it also performs significantly worse in some scenarios (lengthy write jobs, latency goes through the roof in certain scenarios also). It's a fine drive for consumer related tasks but I'd steer far clear of the SX8200 Pro for heavy write tasks like video editing. The SN750 can handle those way better. The SN750 is just a better drive as a whole though and for $5 more, it's a no brainer IMO.
From what I have read, the XPG is the best 1TB NVME drive for the money, Tomshardware rank it 1st.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,3891.html

I am not sure where you have seen the black being faster, except for transfer rate the XPG beats it...

From the WD review conclusion.

"Both the SX8200 Pro and WD Black SN750 have great write performance, but after the SLC is exhausted, the SX8200 Pro degrades further than the WD Black. Conversely, it maintains higher SLC cache speeds for a longer duration. It’s a hard toss-up between the two if you're consistently working with large files, though the SX8200 is slightly cheaper and boasts slightly better endurance and performance.

In the end, you can’t go wrong with either of them"

Anyhow, at this point it is very close you won't really see the difference... This is just not a HOT deal.

Thanks anyways :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4807 posts
2726 upvotes
Toronto
TheMau5 wrote: From what I have read, the XPG is the best 1TB NVME drive for the money, Tomshardware rank it 1st.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,3891.html

I am not sure where you have seen the black being faster, except for transfer rate the XPG beats it...

From the WD review conclusion.

"Both the SX8200 Pro and WD Black SN750 have great write performance, but after the SLC is exhausted, the SX8200 Pro degrades further than the WD Black. Conversely, it maintains higher SLC cache speeds for a longer duration. It’s a hard toss-up between the two if you're consistently working with large files, though the SX8200 is slightly cheaper and boasts slightly better endurance and performance.

In the end, you can’t go wrong with either of them"

Anyhow, at this point it is very close you won't really see the difference... This is just not a HOT deal.

Thanks anyways :)
I don't generally consider Tom's Hardware to be a very good source for reviews. It's also pretty clear from that quote that Tom's missed a pretty key issue when reviewing the SX8200 Pro. The cache on the SX8200 Pro is dynamic so it shrinks as the drive does. The cache on the SN750 is static so the performance is stable through the drive's lifetime. Anandtech wrote a much more comprehensive review of the SX8200 Pro and their conclusion was much more scathing.

Even that list is littered with errors, they criticize the P34A80 for having "Lower endurance than the competition" despite having roughly 2.5x the endurance of the SX8200 Pro. It's general performance profile is slightly better than the SX8200 Pro and is generally priced about the same so not sure why the SX8200 Pro is 4 places higher.

Anyways, for a consumer, you're right, most consumers won't see a difference. In fact, in most cases, most users will see minimal difference between a Crucial P1 or Intel 660p/665p and a Samsung 970 Evo or any PCIe 4.0 drive, unless they literally have them side by side. There are a few cases consumers will see it. Cloning and large transfers are the most likely scenarios, not to mention drives with dynamic caches kinda tank for performance as the drive approaches capacity. If we're discussing the "best" drives, more demanding workloads are relevant, the SX8200 Pro is not exactly the best suited for those workloads. For those who DO need a more demanding drive, this drive is excellent value considering current SSD prices, so yes it IS a hot deal, it just may not be hot for you. That said, I'd classify the SX8200 Pro at $185 to be cold for all consumers considering the Gammix S11 Pro is $15 cheaper and an identical drive (aside from the heatsink) and the better Sabrent Rocket is $200 with no tax on top. Meanwhile the average person could grab something like a Rocket Q for $170 (again no tax) and not really notice much of a difference. This basically places the SX8200 Pro in absolute no mans land for pricing.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1131 posts
822 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
Riffer wrote:
I've got a 512MB 970 Pro and 500MB Evo Plus. If I had to go to 1TB I would get this one. Unless a good portion of your work requires sustained reads and writes like video editing, ripping etc I would just go with this. I just went with what I was familiar with when I built my system. If you have a PCIe 4 mobo then you might consider some of those drives.
VeryTrueColors wrote:
For $100+ more you can get Sabrent Gen4 - one of the fastest drives these days (this is of course if you are not on Intel platform...)
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm more concerned about reliability/longevity than read/write speed. It would be for a new Intel 10th gen build.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4807 posts
2726 upvotes
Toronto
kwk1 wrote: Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm more concerned about reliability/longevity than read/write speed. It would be for a new Intel 10th gen build.
If you all you care about is reliability, it shouldn't matter. Any drive from a decent manufacturer should hold up fine if you're just using it for normal consumer usage(boot drive, games, etc.), including QLC drives. If you're throwing write intensive tasks at it (i.e. video editing), that's when you should get more picky but even then the SN750 is a very reliable drive. You could save a few bucks going down in drive and you won't notice much of a difference but if you don't mind spending for the SN750, it's not too expensive atm and you won't find better under $200.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1131 posts
822 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
Jep4444 wrote: If you all you care about is reliability, it shouldn't matter. Any drive from a decent manufacturer should hold up fine if you're just using it for normal consumer usage(boot drive, games, etc.), including QLC drives. If you're throwing write intensive tasks at it (i.e. video editing), that's when you should get more picky but even then the SN750 is a very reliable drive. You could save a few bucks going down in drive and you won't notice much of a difference but if you don't mind spending for the SN750, it's not too expensive atm and you won't find better under $200.
Hey Jepp4444, thanks. I may do some lightroom, no video, some gaming, and just office for school. Is the SN750 the same type of drive as the Evo Plus as in TLC, QLC?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4807 posts
2726 upvotes
Toronto
kwk1 wrote: Hey Jepp4444, thanks. I may do some lightroom, no video, some gaming, and just office for school. Is the SN750 the same type of drive as the Evo Plus as in TLC, QLC?
Yes, both are TLC drives. The Evo Plus is a slightly better drive but you probably won't notice much of a difference.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1131 posts
822 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
Jep4444 wrote: Yes, both are TLC drives. The Evo Plus is a slightly better drive but you probably won't notice much of a difference.
That settles it, thanks again!
Apr 4, 2018
152 posts
86 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: I don't generally consider Tom's Hardware to be a very good source for reviews. It's also pretty clear from that quote that Tom's missed a pretty key issue when reviewing the SX8200 Pro. The cache on the SX8200 Pro is dynamic so it shrinks as the drive does. The cache on the SN750 is static so the performance is stable through the drive's lifetime. Anandtech wrote a much more comprehensive review of the SX8200 Pro and their conclusion was much more scathing.

Even that list is littered with errors, they criticize the P34A80 for having "Lower endurance than the competition" despite having roughly 2.5x the endurance of the SX8200 Pro. It's general performance profile is slightly better than the SX8200 Pro and is generally priced about the same so not sure why the SX8200 Pro is 4 places higher.

Anyways, for a consumer, you're right, most consumers won't see a difference. In fact, in most cases, most users will see minimal difference between a Crucial P1 or Intel 660p/665p and a Samsung 970 Evo or any PCIe 4.0 drive, unless they literally have them side by side. There are a few cases consumers will see it. Cloning and large transfers are the most likely scenarios, not to mention drives with dynamic caches kinda tank for performance as the drive approaches capacity. If we're discussing the "best" drives, more demanding workloads are relevant, the SX8200 Pro is not exactly the best suited for those workloads. For those who DO need a more demanding drive, this drive is excellent value considering current SSD prices, so yes it IS a hot deal, it just may not be hot for you. That said, I'd classify the SX8200 Pro at $185 to be cold for all consumers considering the Gammix S11 Pro is $15 cheaper and an identical drive (aside from the heatsink) and the better Sabrent Rocket is $200 with no tax on top. Meanwhile the average person could grab something like a Rocket Q for $170 (again no tax) and not really notice much of a difference. This basically places the SX8200 Pro in absolute no mans land for pricing.
Still I don't think at 190$ the WD drive is a HOT deal except if you are in the market for this particular drive, I did not say that the XPG deal at 185$ was a hot deal, I still think NVME SSD are too expensive. I bought the XPG because it was the best drive for the money(at that particular time). I agree WD Black would be a good deal right now but classifying it as HOT is IMHO not accurate as you could get something cheaper for similar performance.
Apr 4, 2018
152 posts
86 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: I don't generally consider Tom's Hardware to be a very good source for reviews. It's also pretty clear from that quote that Tom's missed a pretty key issue when reviewing the SX8200 Pro. The cache on the SX8200 Pro is dynamic so it shrinks as the drive does. The cache on the SN750 is static so the performance is stable through the drive's lifetime. Anandtech wrote a much more comprehensive review of the SX8200 Pro and their conclusion was much more scathing.

Also WD Black have 40TBW endurance less than the XPG Pro...