Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] WD BLACK SN750 NVMe 1TB - $189.99 + $4.99 shipping

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2020 12:20 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4805 posts
2714 upvotes
Toronto
TheMau5 wrote: Still I don't think at 190$ the WD drive is a HOT deal except if you are in the market for this particular drive, I did not say that the XPG deal at 185$ was a hot deal, I still think NVME SSD are too expensive. I bought the XPG because it was the best drive for the money(at that particular time). I agree WD Black would be a good deal right now but classifying it as HOT is IMHO not accurate as you could get something cheaper for similar performance.
It's hot if the extra performance is important. If I were doing actual work on my drive, I would not consider the performance trade offs on the SX8200 Pro to be acceptable and lower overall performance means more time to do the work. Especially since the SX8200 Pro's cache drops as soon as you start filling the drive. The SX8200 Pro 1TB was not the best drive for the money at any point in, well as far back as I can remember (the S11 Pro alone is almost always cheaper, and an identical drive, not to mention the P34A80 and Sabrent Rocket are routinely cheaper), so you got hosed any way you slice it..
TheMau5 wrote: Also WD Black have 40TBW endurance less than the XPG Pro...
600TBW is 336GB a day over 5 years (472GB if you don't work weekends) so I'm gonna guess even most work heavy users aren't gonna outright do that, though that's just a number provided for warranty purposes (which WD are clearly being dicks about, cause the SN750 can easily do more than that). I was more criticizing Tom's for using that as a con for the P34A80 but not for other drives when it's rated for better than several other drives on the list.
Member
Apr 11, 2019
214 posts
204 upvotes
TheMau5 wrote: Still I don't think at 190$ the WD drive is a HOT deal except if you are in the market for this particular drive, I did not say that the XPG deal at 185$ was a hot deal, I still think NVME SSD are too expensive. I bought the XPG because it was the best drive for the money(at that particular time). I agree WD Black would be a good deal right now but classifying it as HOT is IMHO not accurate as you could get something cheaper for similar performance.
190 is HOT post covid for this drive. all time low is 170. short of the new gen pcie 4 drives, this is basically the second best prosumer drive on the market. the XPG has always been pretty much a bad drive considering value/price unless you could get it at some amazing deal. at 185, it's a HORRIBLE deal unless you managed to snag it when adata stuff was also tax free. xpg basically just preys on people looking for "gaming" gear and made a drive so that they could market the high numbers for its specs and overcharge. for work that actually needs the speed, you need the sustained speed so the xpg is just bad. for regular consumer use, the speed translates to spending 60-80 so windows and games boot up 2 seconds faster
Zoomer Wireless - $36/month|800 Minutes|5GB Data|Unlimited Texts
Jr. Member
Apr 4, 2018
152 posts
86 upvotes
kiukiumoar wrote: 190 is HOT post covid for this drive. all time low is 170. short of the new gen pcie 4 drives, this is basically the second best prosumer drive on the market. the XPG has always been pretty much a bad drive considering value/price unless you could get it at some amazing deal. at 185, it's a HORRIBLE deal unless you managed to snag it when adata stuff was also tax free. xpg basically just preys on people looking for "gaming" gear and made a drive so that they could market the high numbers for its specs and overcharge. for work that actually needs the speed, you need the sustained speed so the xpg is just bad. for regular consumer use, the speed translates to spending 60-80 so windows and games boot up 2 seconds faster
Have you even read the review about this drive, gives me solid review(s) or actual technical data to back up you claim as it sound only anecdotal.
Last edited by TheMau5 on Jun 18th, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Apr 11, 2019
214 posts
204 upvotes
TheMau5 wrote: Have you even read the review about this drive, gives me solide review or actual technical data to back up you claim as it sound only anecdotal.
jep4444 explains the sustained usage very clearly and in detail.

there are tons of reviews showing nvme vs sata vs hybrid vs hdd speeds for booting up games. the samsung 970 evo loads games on average 1-2 seconds faster than sata drives. and 1tb sata drives are regularly on sale for ~100-130 depending on pre or post covid Video on real world speed differences.

the xpg certainly looks good from benchmarks, but thats exactly what it was built for. get high numbers on benchmarks so they can sell it at a high price when its real world use case is basically non-existent because other nvmes are far superior for work that would actually benefit from the high speeds. and it not really worth it for gaming or regular consumer tasks. granted, if you got it when it was tax free, it technically is cheaper than the sabrent rocket and therefore one of the fastest and cheapest rams if those 1-2 seconds of boot and load times are important to you.
Zoomer Wireless - $36/month|800 Minutes|5GB Data|Unlimited Texts
Jr. Member
Apr 4, 2018
152 posts
86 upvotes
kiukiumoar wrote: jep4444 explains the sustained usage very clearly and in detail.

there are tons of reviews showing nvme vs sata vs hybrid vs hdd speeds for booting up games. the samsung 970 evo loads games on average 1-2 seconds faster than sata drives. and 1tb sata drives are regularly on sale for ~100-130 depending on pre or post covid Video on real world speed differences.

the xpg certainly looks good from benchmarks, but thats exactly what it was built for. get high numbers on benchmarks so they can sell it at a high price when its real world use case is basically non-existent because other nvmes are far superior for work that would actually benefit from the high speeds. and it not really worth it for gaming or regular consumer tasks. granted, if you got it when it was tax free, it technically is cheaper than the sabrent rocket and therefore one of the fastest and cheapest rams if those 1-2 seconds of boot and load times are important to you.
I am not sure what your point is but as real world performance goes the XPG is as good as the WD or the Sabrent, as for the price, Sabrent beat them all, right now!
Member
Apr 11, 2019
214 posts
204 upvotes
TheMau5 wrote: I am not sure what your point is but as real world performance goes the XPG is as good as the WD or the Sabrent, as for the price, Sabrent beat them all, right now!
my point was 190 for the SN750 is a pretty hot deal right now.

you were the one asking for reviews, so i provided it.
Zoomer Wireless - $36/month|800 Minutes|5GB Data|Unlimited Texts
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4805 posts
2714 upvotes
Toronto
TheMau5 wrote: Have you even read the review about this drive, gives me solid review(s) or actual technical data to back up you claim as it sound only anecdotal.
It more or less boils down to the edge cases. It's not impossible to hit the edge cases on an SX8200 Pro. The average person may only do it when cloning or drive or something(cloning a full 1TB drive to a 1TB SX8200 Pro won't be pretty), that's why I don't completely shy away from recommending the drive but it's an issue. There are certain applications, like video editing large, high res files, where the SX8200 Pro will exhaust it's own cache, especially when working from a drive that is not empty, it also absolutely tanks down to SATA speeds with a large enough file, which can happen given the right combo of it being filled and file size (about 60% of the drives free capacity). There are a few other applications that can do so but I'm not an actual prosumer so I'm less versed but I've seen talk and there are real world applications that the SN750 is just vastly superior to the SX8200 Pro. It's not something most people are gonna concern themselves with but there are markets where it matters. There has also been anecdotal evidence of SX8200 Pro's dying when pushed really hard in prosumer environments, take that as you will since I haven't seen hard numbers but it's still a piece of information. It's also worth noting that the SX8200 Pro is a double-sided drive so in the right scenario, it's not even a viable choice for certain consumers.

As for the SN750 vs the Sabrent Rocket. I can't find a direct comparison but the Corsair MP510 should be a viable substitute since the performance profile is very similar to the earlier revisions of the Rocket (same controller but the NAND is over-provisioned on the MP510). Overall throughput for a full drive write is 38% higher on the SN750. Now the shorter the write the more that gap closes but the point being that at $190, we're not talking a huge price difference and for people who's work output is bottlenecked by the time their SSD takes to complete the job, it's more than a worthwhile cost. The newer revisions of the Sabrent Rocket use an E12S which is apparently slightly more prone to thermal throttling so in enviroments where adequate cooling could be an issue, laptops for example, that's another leg up for the SN750. One could argue the 970 Evo Plus is a better fit there (assuming PCIe 4.0 is not an option) but the price difference is pretty large for a 9% increase in performance, that's up to the end user.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4805 posts
2714 upvotes
Toronto
kazkira wrote: If anyone is interested in some RGB bits, this drive is also on sale over at amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/XPG-S40G-Gen3x4-I ... 782&sr=8-1

I did pick up the WD over at Newegg though just because I don't really care for the RGB bits and WD seems more reliable from what yall have been saying.
This drive uses the Realtek RTS5762, which is already known to run hot. Add on an RGB and these things tends to get quite toasty and are very prone to throttling, a decent number of reports of them also failing.
Sr. Member
Aug 19, 2013
673 posts
502 upvotes
TORONTO
truckmania wrote: Alright you can get it for $195.00 with free shipping. They have to pay for shipping and when they also have a store pickup option then it should be cheaper for people who pick it up. If they offered free shipping on everything then the shipping price would be included and those picking up items would be paying for shipping without using it. The store doesn't get free shipping from Canada Post.
Not really the point though. Many stores have a minimum purchase amount that offer free shipping to help account for this cost. It's all about service. Newegg doesn't care about its customers in this regard. I once had to go through absolute hell when I had their "free shipping" premium service (it was like prime). When I cancelled it, it would be removed from my account but they KEPT charging my card. They obviously couldn't find it associated with my account so they transferred me to a billion reps until they finally reversed the charge.

All done and happily ever after now right? NOPE!

I had to repeat this for 3 years as the charge would show up at the "renewal" date but without associating it to my account. Reps had no idea but they did see the charge going through .Eventually I killed the card as I didnt want to deal with their clowns but that's borderline fraud.
Sr. Member
Aug 15, 2007
552 posts
223 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$190 for this drive is a hot deal, it's top shelf M.2 drive.

I currently have the 500GB SN750 and it's super fast and the Blue 500GB SN550 drives, both provide superior performance in the price range! These drives do not choke under sustained workloads unlike other drives that boast higher "read/write" values. There's many factors to consider for SSD implementations and not just the advertised "read/write", but to keep things simple for the consumer that's all that is thrown in our faces.

If this is the right size and price, it's a super good buy!!
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1107 posts
139 upvotes
I ordered these last night and I got them already! Honestly if paying $5 means such quick shipping I really wouldn't mind lol.
Banned
May 20, 2020
464 posts
310 upvotes
City of Toronto
kazkira wrote: I ordered these last night and I got them already! Honestly if paying $5 means such quick shipping I really wouldn't mind lol.
Which delivery company did Newegg use?
Member
Aug 17, 2012
407 posts
274 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Before buying this one make sure to check your motherboard manual to see if installing this m.2 drive will disable any SATA ports otherwise you might find yourself unable to use this without disconnecting one or more hard drives.

Top