Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] WD BLACK SN750 NVMe 1TB - $189.99 + $4.99 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2020 12:20 pm
May 30, 2015
242 posts
124 upvotes
I see the same price at Amazon Canada, although it says that it will be available on June 27.

So, the price is the same ($189.99) and free shipping (i.e. no $4.99 for shipping).

Can this be considered a little better than the offer at Newegg.ca?

Also, can we be sure that these drives are not OEM version (i.e. only one year warranty)?
Is there a way to know, other than using the serial number on WD website?

Is it better to buy it from Amazon or Newegg?

I am asking because I am under the impression, from what i read on other posts, that it is easier to return to Amazon than Newegg.

Thx

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07M64 ... 9EEQB&th=1

Nov 21, 2012
616 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
Question: Is a heatsink required? I know some of the higher end motherboards come with one, but it appears the budget motherboards (at least based on the pics I've seen) just have the slot but don't come with heatsinks.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4791 posts
2707 upvotes
Toronto
obscura wrote: Question: Is a heatsink required? I know some of the higher end motherboards come with one, but it appears the budget motherboards (at least based on the pics I've seen) just have the slot but don't come with heatsinks.
Nah heatsink shouldn't be necessary.
Nov 2, 2012
209 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered from Amazon on June 6 and got it June 9th, even though it was on back ordered, online stock for Amazon isn't always accurate. So far so good, worked as advertised.
Dec 11, 2008
308 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote: It more or less boils down to the edge cases. It's not impossible to hit the edge cases on an SX8200 Pro.
Ok, stupid question time.
What do you mean by "edge cases"?
Sep 30, 2008
382 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck_TO wrote: Ok, stupid question time.
Outlier cases.
In a normal distribution (a la bell curve), the edge cases are the ones all the way on the left most / right most of the graph.

So the rare cases.

In this context, it would be use cases for this that apply to 1percent of users - possibly power users/ "ultra" content creators et al.
PROUD KOODO CLIENT!
:)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4791 posts
2707 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck_TO wrote: Ok, stupid question time.
For most tasks, you won't notice the difference between an SX8200 Pro and similar priced drives in it's class. However the SX8200 Pro actually has an underpowered controller so the developer of the controller, Silicon Motion, opted for some trade offs to increase performance, primarily on tasks that are best suited for benchmarks (ie to sell more units). Where this comes back to hurt the drive is on long write jobs. For most people, they won't regularly do long enough write jobs to actually experience this but the definition of "long" also shrinks as the drive fills. The most common task a typical person would do that might be considered long would be cloning a drive or restoring a backup (though in both those cases, the source drive would need to be pretty quick too, very unlikely in the case of backups though less so with cloning). How often do people actually clone drives though so it's barely a concern. People who do heavy demanding tasks like high res video editing are also likely to trigger it from time to time and that's really where the drive becomes a real concern. Still, given the drive isn't exactly cheap compared to it's immediate competition, I don't generally recommend it (though the basically identical Gammix S11 Pro goes on sale more frequently) since I think it's a worse option (the closest drives that are often priced similar are the Silicon Power P34A80 and Sabrent Rocket, both don't have the drawback I mentioned above). If the price is right, the drive is fine, I just don't think the price is right and comparing it to a frankly superior drive in the SN750 is just stupid. That said though, most typical consumers won't notice a difference since they don't do the kind of work that is mostly benefited by NVMe drives, it's just worth noting that there are differences and there are people who need the better performance.