Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

WD Red Pro WD181KFGX 18TB 7200 RPM 512MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM - $509 (save 40%)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
3287 posts
3229 upvotes
Whitby

[Newegg] WD Red Pro WD181KFGX 18TB 7200 RPM 512MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM - $509 (save 40%)

WD Red Pro WD181KFGX 18TB 7200 RPM 512MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM - $509 (save 40%)

Save: $340.00 (40%)

Seems pretty hot to me. NAS quality. Lots of space even if you just get two and mirror.

Put away your spears. Happy hunting.

Available in capacities ranging from 2-18TB with support for up to 24 bays
Supports up to 300 TB/yr workload rate
Enhanced reliability with 3D Active Balance Plus technology and error recovery controls with NASware 3.0 technology
Extended drive testing to ensure each drive is tested for extended reliable operation
5-year limited warranty
39 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3372 posts
1412 upvotes
Ottawa
Not too bad of a price, IMO

Approximately $28 / TB compared to $25 / TB for the 18TB EasyStore (shucked) at BB for boxing week.

Basically just $3/TB for warranty.
Edit and this is 5 years VS 2 years for EasyStore
Nov 20, 2013
44 posts
25 upvotes
That's a nice price does anyone know of or will work on a ds918+
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
3287 posts
3229 upvotes
Whitby
GregoryS197 wrote: That's a nice price does anyone know of or will work on a ds918+
LOL checking my qnap specs now. Might be TOO big.
Nov 20, 2013
44 posts
25 upvotes
dyalect wrote: LOL checking my qnap specs now. Might be TOO big.
I checked the synology compatibility site and the most it shows is 14tb
Mar 14, 2021
28 posts
74 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Thanks OP. The prices on Newegg.ca are actually the same pricing on the WD Online Retail Store as well, which has been at this sale price for at least 3 weeks now. I know this, since I was trying to order two of the 18TB RED Pro drives from their website, but the third-party company they use, Signifyd, which detects/flags "fraudulent" transactions kept on flagging my orders and immediately cancelling them after I completed/submitted the order transaction and received the order email confirmation. After a couple weeks of trying to resolve the situation, they wanted me to provide a bunch of personal information to verify my identity. I got fed up and did not want to provide all the personal data to them, just so they can feed their machine learning algorithms. So, now that Newegg is selling the same drives, for the same price, with free shipping included, I will order from Newegg.ca instead. You get an upvote from me, OP.
GregoryS197 wrote: That's a nice price does anyone know of or will work on a ds918+
As for Synology's compatibility chart, I too was trying to find out if the 16TB and 18TB Red Pros would work in my DS918+. From all the forums I've read, the majority of people have said that they will work and the most likely reason these larger capacity drives aren't on the compatibility chart is because they have not tested them (yet) and therefore cannot "guarantee" compatibility, and/or the drives came out after the compatibility chart. Also, since the DS918+ has been discontinued, it will never show compatibility with other drives past what is currently shown now (perhaps a future compatibility chart may even remove the DS918+ as well). Oh, and remember, if you're running Synology's SHR RAID system (can't remember exactly what it's called), you will need to purchase/install two of the same sized drives which are larger than your current two HDDs which will remain in the DS918+. For example, if you currently have: 6TB+6TB+6TB+6TB in the DS918+, then you have to add: 6TB+6TB+18TB+18TB, in order to see an increase in your total capacity/storage pool. I hope that makes sense, I'm a bit of a noob to NAS lingo. Just my two cents.
Nov 7, 2008
140 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary
Costco online carries WD 8TB My Book for $184.99. Bought 2 and got the $100ff $250 discount and price came out to $144.24 each all in shipped in Alberta. Will shuck and should be white label which are suppose to be WD Red.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1151 posts
547 upvotes
GTA
Akitakara wrote: Not too bad of a price, IMO

Approximately $28 / TB compared to $25 / TB for the 18TB EasyStore (shucked) at BB for boxing week.

Basically just $3/TB for warranty.
Edit and this is 5 years VS 2 years for EasyStore
18TB Easystores were actually $380 at BB during Black Friday which makes it $21/TB. Much bigger difference then. However, in my nas, the periodic PWL "click" is much louder than my 14TBs and at times would go crazy on seeks and get annoyingly loud. On idle, it's very quiet and on par with the 14s.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4832 posts
5280 upvotes
Alberta
opr8tr wrote: Costco online carries WD 8TB My Book for $184.99. Bought 2 and got the $100ff $250 discount and price came out to $144.24 each all in shipped in Alberta. Will shuck and should be white label which are suppose to be WD Red.
They were $175 last week
Oct 7, 2017
919 posts
1542 upvotes
Dang... I should've bought two of those 14TB WD Red Pluses that were $227 back in October... such a steal.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3415 posts
1149 upvotes
BC
I really wish best buy would bring back the boxing day pricing.
Nov 20, 2013
44 posts
25 upvotes
sirDRIFTalot wrote: As for Synology's compatibility chart, I too was trying to find out if the 16TB and 18TB Red Pros would work in my DS918+. From all the forums I've read, the majority of people have said that they will work and the most likely reason these larger capacity drives aren't on the compatibility chart is because they have not tested them (yet) and therefore cannot "guarantee" compatibility, and/or the drives came out after the compatibility chart. Also, since the DS918+ has been discontinued, it will never show compatibility with other drives past what is currently shown now (perhaps a future compatibility chart may even remove the DS918+ as well). Oh, and remember, if you're running Synology's SHR RAID system (can't remember exactly what it's called), you will need to purchase/install two of the same sized drives which are larger than your current two HDDs which will remain in the DS918+. For example, if you currently have: 6TB+6TB+6TB+6TB in the DS918+, then you have to add: 6TB+6TB+18TB+18TB, in order to see an increase in your total capacity/storage pool. I hope that makes sense, I'm a bit of a noob to NAS lingo. Just my two cents.
Thanks for answering my question. It's a great deal in my opinion but I already have 3 10TB drives and my wallet would not be happy if I bought two of these beauties.

Definitely giving a thumbs up to this deal post though.
Nov 7, 2008
140 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary
Lush78 wrote: They were $175 last week
Great if I had that time machine... lol
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4552 posts
1423 upvotes
opr8tr wrote: Costco online carries WD 8TB My Book for $184.99. Bought 2 and got the $100ff $250 discount and price came out to $144.24 each all in shipped in Alberta. Will shuck and should be white label which are suppose to be WD Red.
How does it end up being $144.24 each?
Jul 7, 2020
542 posts
167 upvotes
May I know how did you get the $100 off? I just bought one from stores directly and didn't get any discount
Jul 19, 2014
453 posts
563 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jimmyzaas wrote: 18TB Easystores were actually $380 at BB during Black Friday which makes it $21/TB. Much bigger difference then. However, in my nas, the periodic PWL "click" is much louder than my 14TBs and at times would go crazy on seeks and get annoyingly loud. On idle, it's very quiet and on par with the 14s.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying them at that price; I waited too long and they went OOS.

I need to expand my Xpenology NAS' volume, but simply can't decide on how to plan out storage pools or volumes or how to use which NAS. 🤯

I have an Xpenology (my main NAS) and a 916+ (sitting unused, I bought it used), but am struggling with deciding if I should buy another Synology NAS with more bays or if I should just fill the 916+ with 18TB drives whenever prices drop again. I flip flop back and forth between use cases for each, which should back up which, how to preserve DSM & app configurations, etc.. I already have two(?) 12TB WDs sitting in their boxes from last Summer or Fall that I only opened to run full surface scans on.
Oct 25, 2021
32 posts
2 upvotes
sorry just asking out of curiosity
What do you guys actually use 18gb hard drive for?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1151 posts
547 upvotes
GTA
skylimit121 wrote: sorry just asking out of curiosity
What do you guys actually use 18gb hard drive for?
Backups of immersive and penetrative art. You see the dawn of ultra high definition media has really gifted us with some of the most vivid and impressionable work the likes of which we've never seen. Unfortunately, it also carries a price in storage space consumption.
Jan 22, 2012
37 posts
63 upvotes
Edmonton
Video is getting gigantic. iPhone video at 4k60 is 26GB/hour. If you shoot in ProRes Raw on the iPhone 13 Pro it's 5.5GB/minute or 330GB/hour.

And some cameras are 60+ MB / image now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)