[Newegg] WD SN750 2TB M.2 SSD w/ Heatsink $379.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2020 9:27 am
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
778 posts
695 upvotes

[Newegg] WD SN750 2TB M.2 SSD w/ Heatsink $379.99

Use promo code CAH22DEM62 to knock it down from $429 to $379, a historical all time low I believe.
25 replies
Nov 18, 2017
719 posts
443 upvotes
Pretty good deal but I don't think most people would notice a diff between this and the Sabrent Q or the AData S11 XPG. Also Newegg and their stupid shipping, this item is free but 4 sticks of RAM is 20 bucks... wtf.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4823 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
The non-heatsink version seems to have a 10% off as well, comes to $368.10. Heatsink is gonna be overkill for most users.

As for this drive itself, probably overkill for typical use but if you're doing a lot of heavy write tasks, I'd opt for this over any of the Adata or Sabrent drives.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
778 posts
695 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: The non-heatsink version seems to have a 10% off as well, comes to $368.10. Heatsink is gonna be overkill for most users.

As for this drive itself, probably overkill for typical use but if you're doing a lot of heavy write tasks, I'd opt for this over any of the Adata or Sabrent drives.
Oh wow, you're right. The product page for the non-heatsink doesn't indicate a coupon is available but it works.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4823 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
GeneralZod wrote: 500MB/s is still fast enough for the most heavy of write tasks. You have to write about close to 600Gb for it to even drop past 1000 MB/s.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/13759 ... o-1024.png

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/13759 ... 0-1000.png

SX8200 Pro was 279.99 and the S11 Pro (same controller) is 299.99. That's a massive price discrepancy between SM2262EN/E12S and SN750 drives which really isn't justified. And out of those three drives the E12S have the best TBW/endurance (better than Phoenix 970 Pros).
Those numbers are taken on an empty drive. The cache shrinks as the drive fills, so the length of the write necessary to trigger both the 1GB/s and 500MB/s scenarios does shrink as the drive fills. This recommendation is really more about actual professional use, where extra time spent writing is lost time and more predictable write times as well as, on average, better throughput due to the SN750 never really dropping below 1.5GB/s, may be seen as desirable.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2247 posts
893 upvotes
GeneralZod wrote: I'm well aware of how SLC caching works. A professional would be better off with a 970 Pro if they wanted sustained writes without a SLC cache penalty. Or they would consider XPOINT or Z-NAND where endurance and sustained writes is concerned. The point being that there's a substantial price difference which isn't noticeable performance wise for 99% of users (and if you're the 1% you wouldn't buy a SN750 or stop there if money isn't an issue). Again you can refer to NewMaxx.
I have to support Jep4444 on this, in that, the fact that they were empty and just formatted drives was not mentioned. His point is valid. Perhaps the important point here is to understand your needs when purchasing a SSD. It makes no sense buying this SSD if you haven't a task that would require the performance that it can provide. Unfortunately though, so many are still under the belief that this will somehow be much better for their system vice the much lower priced alternative, not ever knowing that they will never see the difference between the two in reality.
Last edited by flamenko on Sep 29th, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4823 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
GeneralZod wrote: I'm well aware of how SLC caching works. A professional would be better off with a 970 Pro if they wanted sustained writes without a SLC cache penalty. Or they would consider XPOINT or Z-NAND where endurance and sustained writes is concerned. The point being that there's a substantial price difference which isn't noticeable performance wise for 99% of users (and if you're the 1% you wouldn't buy a SN750 or stop there if money isn't an issue). Again you can refer to NewMaxx.
Samsung doesn't sell 2TB 970 Pro's (or 980 Pro's for that matter) so your point is moot if one is looking for these capacities. The only drive that will outperform an SN750 at this point at 2TB is the 970 Evo Plus and the performance improvements there is even smaller for a larger cost gap. For large companies, ya they'll spend whatever but smaller companies and freelance workers may find this is a nice medium.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4823 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
GeneralZod wrote: The point isn't moot. Just because Samsung canned the 970 Pro 2TB doesn't mean that's all you should refer to (also the 960 Pro 2TB exists). The 970 Evo Plus is still TLC moving past that you need MLC or Z-NAND/SLC. I wouldn't have any issues with recommendations if they're reasonable, but if you're going to repeat the same thing on Bapcsalescanada then you should realize first and foremost this a deals website and there's still a big price difference between the SN750 and SM2262EN drives. That's why the SN750 isn't rated nor considered a Prosumer drive like the Evo+ or the 970 Pro. Going past that it's enterprise drives, Xpoint, Samsung Z-NAND and other SLC drives.
Again you can refer to NewMaxx.

:thinking:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4823 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
GeneralZod wrote: Ah yes, selectively cherry picking now instead of looking at the bigger picture. This isn't Bapcsalescanada Jep and this is first and foremost a deals site. The points I made still stand and the 970 Evo+ is the far better drive (not to mention the vertical integration). For professional video editing MLC or SLC, XPOINT with the sustained writes and endurance can't be beaten.
The cost difference between a SN750 and 970 EP is larger than an SX8200 Pro and SN750 yet the performance difference is smaller. Moving on, WD bought Sandisk in 2016 and have been vertically integrated since 2018, so that's actually a reason to buy the SN750 over the SX8200 Pro, not a reason to buy a 970 EP over an SN750.

Finally, it's almost like you're assuming professional == enterprise. Anyone who would even consider MLC, SLC or XPOINT probably isn't trolling deals forums or else they're doing their job wrong. I'm talking about freelance workers or small companies (5, 10 employees tops). Especially the latter since I wouldn't want to have to constantly explain to employees why keeping their workstation storage reasonably empty is important. where the volume would take ages to make up the incremental performance differences.
Sep 30, 2008
384 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
*reads whole thread above*

Umm soo, is this a good deal or wha Face With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling Eyes
PROUD KOODO CLIENT!
:)
Apr 8, 2010
24 posts
51 upvotes
Waterloo
lvl1 wrote: *reads whole thread above*

Umm soo, is this a good deal or wha Face With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling Eyes
It's debatable ;)
Aug 23, 2019
450 posts
328 upvotes

It's even debatable that most people on here would even need a 2TB SSD esp. those that are using it for regular use and some games.

It's probably more efficient to get a 1TB + 4/5TB HDD and add another cheap ssd as a cache drive etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1377 posts
561 upvotes

NAND prices are going to fall going into Q4 this year to Q1 2021 because there's way too much stockpile from earlier on in the year. I'd wait if it isn't an urgent need.

for 2TB there are better prices anyway if you're looking for something right now (all the ADATA/XPG ones should be below $300 right now).
Jan 7, 2010
34 posts
15 upvotes
Halton
Thanks Saberon2016, I bought the WD SN750 2TB M.2 SSD Without Heatsink fron Newegg.ca for $409 and the limited time 10% off coupon which brought it down to $368.10 ($415.95 with ON tax). I'm going to return the same one I got from Amazon.ca a few days ago which only has the $409 sale and no coupon.

I don't trust the long term durability and customer support of newer and lesser known SSD brands (Adata/XPG, Sabrent, etc.) and also I've read a fair amount of bad reviews on Amazon about them too so they are not worth taking the risk of buying those for me.
Last edited by darkmage87 on Sep 30th, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 6, 2016
30 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
Too bad that we don't have a time machine.
PC-Canada and MemoryExpress had either a flash sale or price error last week (21-Sept). The 2GB SN750 was < $250.
After I clicked add to cart, typed in my address, tried to figure out payment methods (pre-paid card not accepted), I wanted to grab the original product link to post here, the prices from both sites were back to ~$400. Angry Face