Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] WD SN750 2TB M.2 SSD w/ Heatsink $379.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2020 9:27 am
Jan 1, 2015
75 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
FullMoonWolfie wrote: Too bad that we don't have a time machine.
PC-Canada and MemoryExpress had either a flash sale or price error last week (21-Sept). The 2GB SN750 was < $250.
After I clicked add to cart, typed in my address, tried to figure out payment methods (pre-paid card not accepted), I wanted to grab the original product link to post here, the prices from both sites were back to ~$400. Angry Face
I got 2TB no-heatsink from PC-Canada, $258 all in. That was a price error alright... PC-Canada honoured deal, which is better than most.
Jun 21, 2009
245 posts
214 upvotes
lvl1 wrote: *reads whole thread above*

Umm soo, is this a good deal or wha Face With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling Eyes
After reading all above, still can't figure out if its a good deal for prosumer video editing :D
Jan 7, 2010
34 posts
15 upvotes
Halton
GeneralZod wrote: XPG is A-DATA's premium brand and not a separate brand. Also what does it being cheaper have anything to do with the long term durability. That's just misleading and false information. Price doesn't determine endurance or TBW. There are multiple factors and variables that play into that not price.
I already knew that XPG is Adata's own brand, I just listed them separately and by cheaper I meant newer and lesser known brands but I'll edit that to make it clearer.
Jan 7, 2010
34 posts
15 upvotes
Halton
raymondzzd wrote: I got 2TB no-heatsink from PC-Canada, $258 all in. That was a price error alright... PC-Canada honoured deal, which is better than most.
I wonder how many people were actually able to get shipped it at that price due to the many order cancellations I saw in the other threads. Probably not that many got lucky.
Jan 7, 2010
34 posts
15 upvotes
Halton
blue dragon wrote: After reading all above, still can't figure out if its a good deal for prosumer video editing :D
I very recently purchased an Alienware M17 R3 Laptop with the RTX 2080 Super Max-P so I decided that might has well get a high end SSD to got with it and enjoy it to it's fullest potential.
Dec 6, 2016
30 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
darkmage87 wrote: I wonder how many people were actually able to get shipped it at that price due to the many order cancellations I saw in the other threads. Probably not that many got lucky.
Like Raymond, I was one of the lucky one. The price in the shopping cart stayed at the "flash sale/price error" level even though it also listed a separate line with the new "current price". I fully expected a cancellation e-mail. After about 3 days, I got the "item shipped" e-mail instead. That was a nice surprise.
Dec 6, 2016
30 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
Question about this drive in a gaming laptop (I mostly play racing or 3rd person action/rpg games):

I am going to install this drive as the gaming drive (i.e. not OS or other programs). Should I leave the drive bare in the laptop, or add any kind of Silicone Thermal Conductive Pads and/or thin copper heatsink (like the one below)?

https://www.amazon.ca/Laptop-Heatsink-T ... HREFFYB565
Jan 7, 2010
34 posts
15 upvotes
Halton
FullMoonWolfie wrote: Question about this drive in a gaming laptop (I mostly play racing or 3rd person action/rpg games):

I am going to install this drive as the gaming drive (i.e. not OS or other programs). Should I leave the drive bare in the laptop, or add any kind of Silicone Thermal Conductive Pads and/or thin copper heatsink (like the one below)?

https://www.amazon.ca/Laptop-Heatsink-T ... HREFFYB565
On my Alienware laptop manual it says the following: "A thermal shield is required for optimal heat dissipation if the capacity of the solid-state drive is 512 GB or higher".
So if Dell/Alienware recommends it for my gaming laptop I think it would be a good idea for you to get one too since the SSD could overheat in such a small space.
Make sure to monitor the temperature of your SSD drive even with the heatsink installed just to be on the safe side.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4823 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
SimonL556 wrote: Am I missing something, or userbenchmarks points to the Sabrent Rocket Q4 being a better drive at a better price ?

Sabrent 1TB Rocket Q4 NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive R/W 4700/1800 MB/s (SB-RKTQ4-1TB) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08F76V39T/ref ... DFbK9FDPVS
This speaks volumes of why userbenchmark is a terrible tool for judging SSD performance.

Unfortunately I can not find full disk writes for the Rocket Q4 but assuming it's caching algorithm works the same as the Rocket 4, if you were to try to fill the drive from any given point, it'd be able to write at top speed for roughly 1/4 of the free space and then plummet to HDD level speeds (probably about 100MB/s) due to the poor direct to QLC NAND speeds. The SN750 will write at full speed for about 75GB and then drop to about 1.5TB/s which it'll hold the rest of way.

Now I give this example, not to knock the Q4 but to give a clear example of differences in the drives. It also gives an example of why SLC-caching is such an important tool with QLC drives. For the average consumer, the Q4 is probably a better buy (if not even a cheaper drive since PCIe 4 speeds have little to no impact on daily use). If you were to continually hammer both drives with writes, the Q4 would most likely fail more quickly, because QLC is less durable than TLC, which again isn't an issue for most consumers, who probably only use up a small fraction of the writes necessary to kill a QLC drive.
Apr 21, 2017
355 posts
304 upvotes
Chelsea
Jep4444 wrote: This speaks volumes of why userbenchmark is a terrible tool for judging SSD performance.

Unfortunately I can not find full disk writes for the Rocket Q4 but assuming it's caching algorithm works the same as the Rocket 4, if you were to try to fill the drive from any given point, it'd be able to write at top speed for roughly 1/4 of the free space and then plummet to HDD level speeds (probably about 100MB/s) due to the poor direct to QLC NAND speeds. The SN750 will write at full speed for about 75GB and then drop to about 1.5TB/s which it'll hold the rest of way.

Now I give this example, not to knock the Q4 but to give a clear example of differences in the drives. It also gives an example of why SLC-caching is such an important tool with QLC drives. For the average consumer, the Q4 is probably a better buy (if not even a cheaper drive since PCIe 4 speeds have little to no impact on daily use). If you were to continually hammer both drives with writes, the Q4 would most likely fail more quickly, because QLC is less durable than TLC, which again isn't an issue for most consumers, who probably only use up a small fraction of the writes necessary to kill a QLC drive.
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I was unaware of these intricacies and I will be reading up on them. I’ll also keep in mind when purchasing parts for my build in the future months. Your knowledge is very much appreciated !