Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB $144.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 8:31 am
Nov 20, 2017
430 posts
630 upvotes
Ahhhh literally got one click away from pulling the trigger! But timed out during "obligatory indecision research"... plus there have been a few sales lately, and I feel like prices will continue to come down.

Damn feelings.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1320 posts
801 upvotes
Near You
Wondering how this compares to the WD black sn750s, and whether the 750s are worth the 40$ price difference.
• AMEX PlatinumCobalt
• MC BrimBMORogersSTACK • Visa CIBC AventuraTD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Motive • Fido 25GB/45$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4793 posts
2710 upvotes
Toronto
mistytalon wrote: Wondering how this compares to the WD black sn750s, and whether the 750s are worth the 40$ price difference.
The SN750 is only really worth the extra money if you do content creation and work with large files, where you'll be writing to disk a lot.
Aug 20, 2015
170 posts
190 upvotes
AB
Clement wrote: the retina models do, released in late 2013-15 or so. after that, apple decided to solder the storage on the mobo lol.
Yes, some Macs can be upgraded with m.2 drives (various MacBooks, iMac, Mac mini). You will need an adapter, though. The good news is those adapters are pretty cheap ($15-25) and easily available on Amazon.

This is an excellent guide:
https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-propri ... d-upgrades
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1183 posts
27 upvotes
North Vancouver
Couldn't resist - I just bought the black 750 last week, but I bought a USB 3.2 enclosure to format and install an OS on it and have this cool Sabrent enclosure needing a drive, so this is great. For the Macbook Retina upgraders - I think the NVMe external enclosure is the easiest route, but I think I've seen some people upgrade just using a USB flash drive plus a bunch of work in Terminal.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1553 posts
642 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: If i only have 1 nvme slot and no usb nvme enclosure, can I clone my current 256GB nvme to this 1TB nvme by creating a disk image?
Yep, but it isn't a job for the non-technically minded. You'll need to get a program like Macrium Reflect that clones disks (and lets you use an image). You will of course need an extra drive with enough free space.

Once you've cloned it, extend the main partition so that it's using the entire drive. Once that's done, go into your BIOS and tell Windows to boot from the new drive.

If you've done everything right, Windows will boot. If not, your PC might not boot at all, or you might have to go back to the old disk.
Last edited by zero64 on Jul 24th, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14547 posts
7447 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I got this the last time it was on sale for this price. All I can say is that it's a great drive for the price!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2169 posts
4384 upvotes
Desperadude wrote: The late 2013 MBP 13” has a M2 slot?
Clement wrote: the retina models do, released in late 2013-15 or so. after that, apple decided to solder the storage on the mobo lol.
Yes and no, the late 2013 retina models use a proprietary flash storage thing thats very similar to NVMe, you will still need an adapter to make it work. This guy shows the process below.

Desperadude wrote: Interesting. My late 2013 MBP retina has a speaker problem (sound like the voice is broken). If I decide to open it up to fix then it’s worth to upgrade the SSD as well
I have opened mine up a few times to clear out dust and stuff, its not so bad, should be fairly straightforward to replace the speaker.

I have been ready to buy a new one since 2016 but all the problems have put me off buying one. I have bought/ built 4 computers in the 7 years I had this, but the MBP has been more solid than anything else, even now the 1tb NVMe will probably make it good for another couple of years lol.

Edit :didn’t read the post above that explained the need for an adapter already
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5278 posts
1064 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: If i only have 1 nvme slot and no usb nvme enclosure, can I clone my current 256GB nvme to this 1TB nvme by creating a disk image?
Yes. You create disk image using a program like Macrium Reflect, create a bootable USB stick, replace old drive with new one, boot off usb and restore to new ssd.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1397 posts
303 upvotes
Haz wrote: I wish I had a good reason to buy one but unfortunately I don't.
Damn I bought it without the code oh wells
Dec 19, 2016
276 posts
439 upvotes
zero64 wrote: Yep, but it isn't a job for the non-technically minded. You'll need to get a program like Macrium Reflect that clones disks (and lets you use an image). You will of course need an extra drive with enough free space.

Once you've cloned it, extend the main partition so that it's using the entire drive. Once that's done, go into your BIOS and tell Windows to boot from the new drive.

If you've done everything right, Windows will boot. If not, your PC might not boot at all, or you might have to go back to the old disk.
I don't need this product even thought I was considering, but I gotta say, you're a good dude Charlie Brown. I always read through the RFD comments to find out stuff I may not have know otherwise. Props
May 22, 2016
396 posts
409 upvotes
I guess depending on your needs, but for gaming and streaming, wouldn't you be better off with an 250gb SSD for the operating system, and a 1TB HDD for the programs? Would be a lot cheaper and considering the finite write cycles of SSDs vs infinite write cycles of HDDs
Last edited by SS76SS on Jul 25th, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 23, 2019
118 posts
92 upvotes
If i don't have an M.2 slot, is it worth buying a PCI-adapter for it or will it just become a bottleneck?
This feels cheaper than a 1TB SSD.